best 6mm

This ones for anyone with an opinion and the more the merrier please.

What would be the best round to get a 80gr nosler bt or a 87gvmax flying the fastest.

I was thinking a 243ai could with 26"+ barrel ,might get 3500fps but what else could and or would do the job better/faster. a 6-284ai perhaps?

Any ideas would be great chaps.

Cheers

Shot and owned various 243ai over the last ten years would be ideal for what your thinking! Brass readily available easy to fireform won't need custom dies great cartridge, 6x284 will get them going I'm sure barrel life is the only negative if you really want things flying can't see a tube lasting that long, but I'm sure it will be good fun.

Mmm the ackley does seem like the way forward. Especially as its a like for like variation. .

What barrel length and twist would you suggest to them 80 grainers going sweet..?

This ones for anyone with an opinion and the more the merrier please.

What would be the best round to get a 80gr nosler bt or a 87gvmax flying the fastest.

I was thinking a 243ai could with 26"+ barrel ,might get 3500fps but what else could and or would do the job better/faster. a 6-284ai perhaps?

Any ideas would be great chaps.

Cheers

The 240 Weatherby is a contender,with 3523 fps in factory 87g loading-and so would be the 6-06,and 6-284,having near identical capacity to the 240W.

The Lazzeroni Spitfire 6.17 (243) in factory loading has 85 Nosler at 3618fps,which will take some beating.

Of course,if wildcats/non factory loadings are allowed,there is no control over pressures etc,so direct and fair comparisons are difficult.No doubt the Spitfire could be squeezed /'improved' as much as any of the others.So fastest,probably. "Best" is a more complex issue.

Gbal

there you go a ready to rock and roll gun and built by mr gall as well

Mark. Thanks, it's a very nice rifle, but it will be getting a new barrel shortly. Shot a .25 MOA group with it the other day and it's been giving the bucks a hard time. Regards JCS

Why does no-one even think of the good old 6mm Rem?? It's basically a .243AI but with a far better neck length and it's a factory round.

It's about the max case capacity without barrel life suffering too much.

Have said that, I'll admit to a bit of hypocrisy in that I'm just about to put together a 6 Hot (6-6.5x47) but that's only because I have plenty of 6.5L brass and a full comp set of dies lying about

Chris-NZ

6mm Crusader, 6mm AI or a 6x284 will all get you there.

+ 1

I have a 6mm/284 and my father used to have a 6mm/06, both would shoot 68g/70g bullets up to 4100fps, both were 26"/1:14's. I have since had mine rebarrelled with a 1:10 and this sends the chronograph up to 3580fps with 95g bullets/N560. I did try 58g vmax's, but didn't record the velocities, but I didn't test them further for fear of using valuable barrel life :lol:

Is this for a fox rifle??

I might be wrong but I doubt the 6SLR or 243 AI will get the 87 V max to or above 3500 fps? and if you do it's going to be hard on the brass surely.

Dave L tried some 87 V max out of his 6mm AI and he couldn't get the bullets to stay together, unfortunately he didn't run them over the chrono, I do know he was using RL17.

I can get a 115gr Dtac to 3300 and possibly more (never tried beyond that) in my Crusader which is basically a 6mm AI so it will easily get the 87 gr Vmax to 3500 fps.

Been lookin at the crusaders. And that seems like alot of faffing about. So thats out.

What kind of work is involved in necking down the 6.5-284 to a 6mm

I shoot 70g blitz kings through my 6-284 at 3850fps with a 22inch tube. It was a 26 inch tube but after 700 rounds the throte had gone so I had it set back 4inch. Good as new for a few more rounds yet less a few fps. It's a hell of a round but heavy on barrel life! Unless I think something is a miss it doesn't shoot paper. Out n out killing tool.

just testing some 87vmaxs in my 6x47 with elcho 17 they are nudging 3575 with no pressure signs.

i got the 75vmaxs to 3680 with no pressure signs but these will not be getting used.

shot some 58vmaxs with 42.0gns el17 last week but didnt chrono them all made it to the target i guesstimate they would be edging 4000fps.and decent accuracy.

Archived