Which AR15?

Dr. Strangelove

Hi all,

I'm in the market for an AR15 and I was wondering if there's really that much between the manufacturers? Is it worth shelling out for an LMT (I'm quite tempted to; damn my expensive tastes!) or will a Southern Gun work just as well?

I'm not overly bothered about bells and whistles - as long as it shoots and has a picatinny rail on the receiver for mounting a sight I'm not too fussed about anything else!

Sorry if this has been done before by the way - I did search!

Regards,

Dr. S.

I have an LMT and they are a fine rifle. Problem is, eventually you will get fed up of using the charging handle and want the type that is fitted directly to the bolt (as shown above). Makes life a lot easier for UK shooters.

This is not possible on the LMT because the brass deflector and forward assist gets in the way. They can be fitted on the left of the receiver as shown here:

image2_zps3a4ac47b.jpeg

Mark at Bradley Arms did this for me recently (great job). It’s a compromise for right handed shooters, but much better than the standard set up.

My advice would be to go for an AR with a side charging handle already fitted and more suitable to shooting in the UK.

Brian

If you intend to shoot PR / CSR at anytime i strongly advise you to get a side charging upper receiver from day one rather than rear charging handle ( as norm ). I wasted money this way. In the end Dave at Valkyrie sorted me with a new side charging receiver and the quality is top notch. If i were to buy another i would purchase one from a gunsmith who shoots them himself as the quality will be built in and he will know what he is on about. Personally i think the LMT is way over priced, however they are of a good quality. I i were you i would look at the rifles on offer by the likes of Dave at Valkyrie and Mark at Bradley Arms and spend the saved cash on a shed load of ammo !

Cant comment on SGC rifles as i only have a 9mm L/R from Bob.

Be warned though, once you try black, theres no going back ! :P

I have an SGC and I'm happy; delivered on schedule and works well enough. There are folks who have had a less positive experience though. I specced left and right charging handles but in hindsight would probably just go with right unless I was a leftie.

Mark Bradley and Dave (Valkyrie rifles) both build a good gun; you won't go wrong with either.

I'm not going to jump in and say which one is the best, although I do have a vested interest here.

All I will say while trying to remain unbiased is that all the AR builders in the UK have different ideas and ethos as to what makes a good rifle and why they build it in their own particular way.

By asking on the internet which one is best is like comparing apples to bananas and you'll get 20 different answers.

It would be best to ring around all the different manufacturers and ask questions.

I'm always available and always willing to talk, so is Baldie.

The pair of us shoot competitively, at times together.

The main thing in this game is not only getting what you want, but knowing that the person who builds/sells you your rifle will always be available to answer any questions and rectify any problems without quibbling and trying to say it's your fault.

I'm not going to jump in and say which one is the best, although I do have a vested interest here.

All I will say while trying to remain unbiased is that all the AR builders in the UK have different ideas and ethos as to what makes a good rifle and why they build it in their own particular way.

By asking on the internet which one is best is like comparing apples to bananas and you'll get 20 different answers.

It would be best to ring around all the different manufacturers and ask questions.

I'm always available and always willing to talk, so is Baldie.

The pair of us shoot competitively, at times together.

The main thing in this game is not only getting what you want, but knowing that the person who builds/sells you your rifle will always be available to answer any questions and rectify any problems without quibbling and trying to say it's your fault.

I must admit when I had both my ARs from SGC, I knew of no other builders at the time as I had no Internet at this time.

Bradders raises a good point; if you are going to compete in CSR, you are going to be bumping into him and Baldie. Advice and help are therefore readily available. I've never met Bob (SGC) and fortunately, haven't needed his help yet.

Thanks for the replies all. I realise everyone's mileage will vary between manufacturer!

For the people with SGC rifles - do you use the left hand cocking handle frequently?

Not so far. Theoretically useful for rapid shooting from a bipod or for difficult extractions (right and left handed at same time.) I'd omit it if I was ordering my gun again.

• 3 weeks later...

Not as yet.

Kinda hard to find the space to practice right now. Pheasant poults in the wood so cant fire that direction and cattle in two other fields so thats off limits too.

Keep meaning to get out and find more land but time is precious.

• 1 month later...

My first 223 AR was. Bremmer lower , lowmil, bradly upper and cost £750
The second was a SGC with go faster bits and a Kahles scope £1000
And I bought one today SGC. and a acog. A few other trick bits £1195
Unless you buy new and spec the gun you want get what you can and make it what you want
All the goody bits just bolt on

Archived