Hi Peter,

We are grateful to Stuart Elliott for giving us Brits a sample Fly target about 10 years ago when we shot benchrest together in Italy.

Our best group is 1.152 inches, shot by forum member Dave Wylde (Baldie) using a Surgeon based 338 but shot off a bi-pod - and he hit the fly!

Cheers

Vince

And used a muzzle brake :D

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure it states on the target that the official Aussie rule state no muzzle brakes.

Correct - rule 8 but we shoot it slightly differently - the Aussies shoot it benchrest-style - off concrete benches so maybe they think being closer warrants a ban on brakes - personally, it doesn't bother me.

I've just seem mention of a 1000 yard steel 'gong' shoot on an American forum - now that sounds interesting! The gongs are 8 inches diameter and each shooter has eight to go at - but don't know anything else yet but it sounds good fun.

I was there to when Dave shot that I DONT think it would have mattered if he shot it with or without muzzle brake Dave can shoot he was a gentleman that day and informed people that he was shooting a 338 and waited till last and shot on his own as I recall I shot a 2.1 group in factory class in Fly shoot with AI in 308 and like Dave I shot from a harris Bi-pod

Hi All,

I was shooting off the bench next to Paul Read when he shot the sub 1 inch group and it was by far the best official group I had seen.

We have 10 official matches a year and get up to 80 shooters at the Federal Cup in Canberra and a lot of shooters shoot both LG and HG on the day.

We also shoot 300 factory / custom class, 200m rimfire and 1000m matches at different ranges, generally either the day before or the day after the 500 FLY

If there are no objections I would like to post some results here and equipment lists when we have them.

Many thanks Peter

Archived