Horizontal Stringing

furrybean

Im trying to work up a load with N140 and 70gr NBT. Im not doing particularly well with the best so far about .8 in a triangular fashion at 100m.

As the charge increased towards max I got reduced spread vertically but horizontal spread increasing to about 1.5"

I hope that makes sense lol.

Any idea what causes this and whether to carry on playing with the smaller group or the horizontal spreading charge...

have you played with seating depth

what depth of the lands are you seating

what primer are you using

I was told previously by a Guru (Brock and Norris) that horizontal spread normally relates to seating depth, although an inch and a half seems a lot with little vertical dispersion.

Thanks, I was thinking I shouldnt discount the group and investigate further.

At 10 thou Id guess try 15, 20, 25 etc

I was told previously by a Guru (Brock and Norris) that horizontal spread normally relates to seating depth, although an inch and a half seems a lot with little vertical dispersion.

Provided that you have a solid set up to shoot off to eliminate rifle movement then usually any horizontal stringing is most probably the wind blowing your bullet about. Did you have any wind flags out to indicate the pick ups or let offs?

If your vertical is small (you want to be less than a 1/3 m.o.a. at 100 yds ideally) then that would indicate to me that your load / pressures are constant and it is the wind that is blowing your bullet about. Also did you chrono your loads to check for Mv spread?

Just my twopennorth!

I would entirely agree but it would have to be hellish gusty to blow and inch and a half at 100 yards?

Provided that you have a solid set up to shoot off to eliminate rifle movement then usually any horizontal stringing is most probably the wind blowing your bullet about. Did you have any wind flags out to indicate the pick ups or let offs?

If your vertical is small (you want to be less than a 1/3 m.o.a. at 100 yds ideally) then that would indicate to me that your load / pressures are constant and it is the wind that is blowing your bullet about. Also did you chrono your loads to check for Mv spread?

Just my twopennorth!

I would entirely agree but it would have to be hellish gusty to blow and inch and a half at 100 yards?

It may have been hellishly gusty!!!!!!!

I have seen bullets being blown that distance at a Diggle 100yd benchrest comp. All it needs for a 6mm is a gust of 25mph to be blown 1.1/2 moa.

It could be a combination of wind and other factors!

Nope it was pretty still. Im not as good as some of you boys but I was getting .5-.7 with my .222 and 7-08 I was shooting the same day using the same bags etc.

Ive had a look online and its says check scope tightness etc but they are all fine.

I'd reduce the load again till the vertical stringing and horizontal are about the same then reduce your oal 20 thou at a time till you hit the sweet spot. Ain't load development a blast?!!

Nope it was pretty still. Im not as good as some of you boys but I was getting .5-.7 with my .222 and 7-08 I was shooting the same day using the same bags etc.

Ive had a look online and its says check scope tightness etc but they are all fine.

7-08 rem or .222 ? I think its technique related if its the 7-08 as recoil can do that if the guns not coming back in a straight line into the shoulder in relation to the target. Lightweight sporter ! sorry just re-read 1st post 70 grn obviously non of the above but the comment on lightweight guns still stands especially off a bipod. What is it a .243 ? or 6br ?

7-08 rem or .222 ? I think its technique related if its the 7-08 as recoil can do that if the guns not coming back in a straight line into the shoulder in relation to the target. Lightweight sporter ! sorry just re-read 1st post 70 grn obviously non of the above but the comment on lightweight guns still stands especially off a bipod. What is it a .243 ? or 6br ?

It's a .243. I've got the 7-08 and .222 shooting as I want but I'm struggling with this one.

From what I,m reading,,,,powder choice ok,,,70 noslers can do tight work,10 thou off ,,,a good place,,,,never had a problem with this depth or closer?,,,primer ,,well er careful here now but I,ve tried em all and cant really say any have "upset" a good "combination",,,,,,,,your getting 1/2 to 3/4 groups with your other rifles,,the .222 can do silly groups without much trying? 7.08,,,almost a 308 and sweet to tune.you must be doing your bit then?

Out of all the rifles I see down at our local range it is nearly always the 243 that guys have problems with,,,,,,,,I cant honestly help really ,,never had one,,don,t get too involved,,just seems a fussy calibre made worse by an enormous number of other factors????

Keep my head down now,,,here comes the flak,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but if I was getting results like this I,d be "suspecting the rifle/barrel,",,,,,,,,,,,it aint gonna do much better??ever!,,,

It's a .243. I've got the 7-08 and .222 shooting as I want but I'm struggling with this one.

70 grn Noslers are very jump tolerant in my own .243 win. ( so I should rule jump out for now personally ) I think this is technique or bedding related- maybe powder? doubtful as its stringing. I like Varget in this weight range or H4895 (have no experience with N140 in the .243 ,though I like N160 for 95 and 100 grn range deer bullets) Its a good Fox bullet that 70 grn Nosler ;)

Im trying to work up a load with N140 and 70gr NBT. Im not doing particularly well with the best so far about .8 in a triangular fashion at 100m.

As the charge increased towards max I got reduced spread vertically but horizontal spread increasing to about 1.5"

I hope that makes sense lol.

Any idea what causes this and whether to carry on playing with the smaller group or the horizontal spreading charge...

Having read the thread, you've got 2 out of 3 rifles shooting to your satisfaction. It's very hard to assess what the issue might be, but the one thing I have tripped up on recently is my brass prep. To me, good brass prep is 75% of the battle in getting a load that performs well. I suggest having a look at your brass and brass prep for the 243. Have fun. JCS

I use N140 in my 243 with 58 and ATM 75 vmax 40.2 cci 200 federal brass with no problem.

Is the barrel channel clear? just a thought but if a bit of muck got in could the vibrations from nearer max cause it to touch and throw the group?

just checked my own 70grn Nosler load its 2.660" COL 2.140" off shoulder if it helps. Do you know how much I care about jump length in this bullet? I just copied the factory I had to buy when my house was in bits!As all my loading gear was in storage at the time. I should really look to other things than the load personally unless its shooting great with other stuff. As you are well aware Nosler 55 grn b/t might fall out the end of the case before you get anywhere near the rifling in a std chamber yet they seem to shoot just fine

I'd reduce the load again till the vertical stringing and horizontal are about the same then reduce your oal 20 thou at a time till you hit the sweet spot. Ain't load development a blast?!!

Well I took the load that wasn't stringing but not great, but the vertical and horizontal were approx. even and had a play with the seating depth. Not a great group compared to some of you guys but as its a stalking rifle with a Swaro ret that is a big old dot but Im happy with what I got today.

Its surprised me the results by changing the OAL, its made a small difference in my other rifles but this Im pleased with this now.

I think Im going to go with the 40 thou off now...

Capture_zps8cc31f61.png

20 thou is a long way. I read an interesting article some time ago that suggested moving 4 thou at a time. I would try your best load again and bracket it with +-4 thou and +- 8 thou loads.

Regards JCS

Do you mean try 40 thou +-4 increments?

That's the result i expected you to get furrybean. Now that you have that 40 thou setting load 20 up the same, try another group and really put effort into it to shoot the best you can. If you still get that "2 in 1 out" pattern go to 45 thou and you'll be there. If your smallest group had been a triangle then you'd have gone 35thou and tried again. But as you say it's a stalking rifle and unless your taking 200yd head shots anything under moa will do well. Berger actually recommend 40 thou increments for the initial testing of their VLD's. My .270 shoots great 135 thou off, it'd take a hell of a long time to get there at 4 or 5 thou increments! I usually load up 30 rounds the same once I've settled on a powder charge and take a hand press to the range with me and just keep adjusting the seater 2 turns between each group(36thou) till I get close, saves a lot of rounds and means once you're got THEE load you just adjust what's left to that lenght.

Mike

hhhmm im no professor but i had similar things goin on with my ammo , i recon it was down to brass. it was fire formed , but some more than others as looking at the case shoulders closley , i could see the diffrence in shape , the annoying thing was i was at max load for fire forming so i had to pretty much fire form twice ! to make sure all cases were 100% formed ! this was a time consuming and waist of annother 100 bullets powder primers etc ,

Are your cases fl sized or neck sized or are they virgin brass ? ATB...tim...

Archived