.308 hunting load/bullet to mimic target load trajectory

Offroad Gary

Has anyone got a hunting load which mimics their target load within an inch or so out to reasonably sensible ranges for live quarry (fallow). In particular, 155 scenar over 46gn varget from a 24" AI AE. I know ill have to try myself etc but if someone has a starting point that would save some time. Cheers

Has anyone got a hunting load which mimics their target load within an inch or so out to reasonably sensible ranges for live quarry (fallow). In particular, 155 scenar over 46gn varget from a 24" AI AE. I know ill have to try myself etc but if someone has a starting point that would save some time. Cheers
Why not just record the dial in required? otherwise a compromise at best. Don't see the issue surely you change your windage and elevation regular in comp. Fire a group at 100 or 200 etc work the difference in Minutes then just write it down in a note book or on your phone

Why not just record the dial in required? otherwise a compromise at best. Don't see the issue surely you change your windage and elevation regular in comp. Fire a group at 100 or 200 etc work the difference in Minutes then just write it down in a note book or on your phone

Not what i asked! Would like a hunting load to drop in, keeping things simple

Not what i asked! Would like a hunting load to drop in, keeping things simple

oh yes I know that but you see I am inquisitive and enquiring of mind, it seems a little pointless unless you get a buck suddenly stick its head out the back of the butts to me personally and thus sounds far from keeping things simple. the chances are even more remote that two different rifles will perform equally with the two loads- so its still going to be a big faff. Obviously your choice your reasons

oh yes I know that but you see I am inquisitive and enquiring of mind, it seems a little pointless unless you get a buck suddenly stick its head out the back of the butts to me personally and thus sounds far from keeping things simple. the chances are even more remote that two different rifles will perform equally with the two loads- so its still going to be a big faff. Obviously your choice your reasons
i'm simply asking if anyone has a good hunting load which shoots to a similar poi, at sensible deer killing ranges, to their target load. I can then, if necessary, add my ai to my portfolio of deer harvesters, should the need or desire arise. Dont want to mess around with dialling for a starting zero, just want to drop in, dial and shoot. We got some big fields down here, the Ai is just the tool for a sit and wait.

And why on earth would you shoot a buck in the head, thats a mortal sin where i come from..

Gary, I have a matched load with 155 gn Palmas and 180grn ballistic tips that works in my short barreled rifles. By this I mean same POI at 100 metres which is fine for deer. It took a bit of mucking about with the hunting round. Primary idea was to take the LMT straight pull out stalking occasionally but works ok with a TRG. I was worried that if the 155 grain was too hot I would have extraction problems with the LMT. Obviously it may not work in your rifle but PM me if you want the figures. Uses TR 140 as the powder.

Gary,

I'll wager that if you load some 150 NBTs to exactly the same ogive (NB NOT COL) length as your 155 scenar load; and change nothing else; you'll have a matching load at hunting ranges. :)

We shall try that for a start then. Lets hope I can get the length on them because the scenars are scratching the mag! Might even try some old faithful Speer 2022's, see how they get on.

We shall try that for a start then. Lets hope I can get the length on them because the scenars are scratching the mag! M

The NBT is 'fatter'. With the same ogive length it'll have a shorter COL. Change nothing else. It'll work ;)

Garry I've never shot a scenar cos l am tight. But the 155gr SMK's cut fox's in half

Im thinking of distances slightly over sensible head shooting limits....

i'm simply asking if anyone has a good hunting load which shoots to a similar poi, at sensible deer killing ranges, to their target load. I can then, if necessary, add my ai to my portfolio of deer harvesters, should the need or desire arise. Dont want to mess around with dialling for a starting zero, just want to drop in, dial and shoot. We got some big fields down here, the Ai is just the tool for a sit and wait.

And why on earth would you shoot a buck in the head, thats a mortal sin where i come from..

And so is not having your rifle zeroed for your load here! I was speaking metaphorically how would you go on at any range shooting a deer on the Butts anyhow? :P

Garry

I have my 308 stalking rifle running 165gr gamekings and shoot 167gr scenars occasionally target shooting using same drop charts and usually within couple of clicks out to 600yds

both run on same powder charge( top of head 44gr N140 ) but they have different COL with GK 30thou off lands Scenars 10thou off

Ian

For god's sake, don't waste your time with Scenars on deer. They pencil straight through and won't explode like an A-Max will. Hopeless as a deer bullet

I use Scenars on my NRA gun and they're great but not for your suggested application.

You might find this picture interesting- I hadn't been shooting std NRA (off the shoulder) for a while and had a go recently. Had some unexplained 4's so was very suspicious about my barrel being worn out as it's had over 5000 documented shots through it. I threw a spare 3-9 on it and shot one five-shot group with it:

RPaMar2013_zps6454460b.jpg

Safe it say it might have a round or two left in it.. I suspect my eyesight is now a major factor- gonna try some fancy optics in the rear peep

Chris-NZ

Chris

gary is looking for a hunting bullet as a drop in substitute for his scenar that wont require re zeroing of his rifle when he goes stalking

not looking to stalk with the scenars

thats how i read it

Ian

• 2 months later...

Finally got round to testing some 165 sst's i was given. Made 5 without adjusting dies, selected 44gn varget, used some many times fired brass.

5 shot group was 20mm at 100m, same poi as scenars.

Ready to hunt!

Archived