Magneto speed chronograph

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And as a follow up, here's a link to a demo video:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=aewMUeenovo&feature=youtu.be&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DaewMUeenovo%26feature%3Dyoutu.be

(Excuse the ugly mug)

Terry

Great music:

"I am here to fix the shower"

"But I have no money, how shall I pay?"

:lol:

• 1 month later...

Having been out on wednesday to carry out final testing for the now cancelled F Class shoot at Diggle, in 15 mph gusting winds and I had several misreads with the Oehler,,,,due to it shaking about in the wind, I've decided to bite the bullet and buy a V2,

Gary, the order will be in later today for that and a few other essentials. :D

Re the barrel harmonics issue, they should be limited as the 'bayo' (abreviation of bayonet, I presume?) is polymer and only weighs a few ounces.

Surely it shouldn't matter how light it is. All the harmonic tuning systems such as the browning BOSS or those wired rubber things (rolls eyes) that .22 Benchrest shooters seem to be fond of work by shifting small amounts of weight to different positions to achieve optimum barrel harmonics.

Having had an air rifle with a similar system I have to say it made a massive difference moving it even a millimetre in either direction, and if it came loose then it grouped like a shotgun.

Since I predominantly use a chrono during load development I wouldn't like to have something attached to the barrel unless like a mod it was going to be permanently there.

I think the idea is a brilliant one. Certainly better than optical sensors. But, i think it also needs a bit more development before I switch from my optical chrony.

The SC sounds interesting, however given the price (which I'm nature will come down in time) and that I wouldn't be able to use it for subsonic loads, again, I don't think I'll be switching.

Rich

Surely it shouldn't matter how light it is. All the harmonic tuning systems such as the browning BOSS or those wired rubber things (rolls eyes) that .22 Benchrest shooters seem to be fond of work by shifting small amounts of weight to different positions to achieve optimum barrel harmonics.

Having had an air rifle with a similar system I have to say it made a massive difference moving it even a millimetre in either direction, and if it came loose then it grouped like a shotgun.

Since I predominantly use a chrono during load development I wouldn't like to have something attached to the barrel unless like a mod it was going to be permanently there.

I had the same concerns, but after testing with it on and off my barrel, I can't detect any difference in group sizes or POI.

However, I've only used it on two very heavy, large diameter barrels so far. I may give it a go on a standard Rem 700 next time I'm at the range to see if it makes a difference on that. I wouldn't be surprised if it does, but I suspect the bigger heavier barrels aren't going to be affected by it.

It may be possible to work out a way to mount the bayo so it's not attached to the barrel, but it does need to be positioned quite close to the bullet as it exits the muzzle so working out a way to fix it securely and consisently could take a lot of messing around I reckon.

I had the same concerns, but after testing with it on and off my barrel, I can't detect any difference in group sizes or POI.

However, I've only used it on two very heavy, large diameter barrels so far. I may give it a go on a standard Rem 700 next time I'm at the range to see if it makes a difference on that. I wouldn't be surprised if it does, but I suspect the bigger heavier barrels aren't going to be affected by it.

It may be possible to work out a way to mount the bayo so it's not attached to the barrel, but it does need to be positioned quite close to the bullet as it exits the muzzle so working out a way to fix it securely and consisently could take a lot of messing around I reckon.

Why would it matter about POI or group size?

I would have thought you had sorted all that out and just wanted to know the speed.

Magneto Speed works very well. But it definitely does effect barrel harmonics, I used it on a 26" rem varmint profile and the difference in group size and consistency was very noticeable. To overcome this all I do now is work up loads initially with unit on to find velocity window. Then test for accuracy, once promising load is found, re-attach to check ES/SD.

Magneto Speed works very well. But it definitely does effect barrel harmonics, I used it on a 26" rem varmint profile and the difference in group size and consistency was very noticeable. To overcome this all I do now is work up loads initially with unit on to find velocity window. Then test for accuracy, once promising load is found, re-attach to check ES/SD.

Yes, I've found the same. It obviously depends in part on the barrelled action and how stiff / heavy they are and whether the bullet weight / load is stressing the rifle heavily too, or whether it's a really heavy target / varmint weight barrel that is less affected. Irrespective, you cannot bolt something that sticks out ~ 9 inches ahead of the muzzle and weighs getting on for 5 ounces (V1 model, V2 longer and heavier) without some effect. It'll be like putting a moderator on - some barrels / loads don't see any or much effect on POI, others do.

A follow-up from this is that the 'bayo' has to be REALLY tightly strapped on so it's immovable. This is quite difficult with a tapered barrel with a slick surface finish. If it moves at all under recoil, even an eighth of an inch or so, it risks producing the same effect as having a barrel tuner which you readjust between every shot. I found this on a .308W Howa 1500 Varminter which proved very difficult to achor the bayo down on immovably. With a stiff 180gn bullet load which the rifle didn't like anyway and was already prone to string vertically, I got two badly vertically strung groups at 100 yards. Then I noticed the bayo had slipped forward maybe half an inch half way through group 3, moved it back and retightened it and subsequent shots dropped around an inch on the paper.

If you're only going to use it on heavy no-taper barrels, I'd say get the V1. If you use it on lots of different rifles and different barrel profiles, even if moderators and large muzzle brakes aren't involved, shell out for the V2 version which provides a heavier duty mounting strap system and the ability to adjust the bayo positioning vis a vis the bullet track far more closely through the range of spacers and shims provided.

Overall, I rate it as a great system. I've been using it regularly in horribly dull conditions where my CED optical chronograph simply wouldn't have worked unless I'd put its infra-red diffusers on with all the hassle of a battery pack and yet more cables lying around. I am upgrading to the V2 bayo kit though - March Scopes UK has them in stock - and wish I'd bought that version straight off. But, I do test ammo on a much greater variety of rilfes than most people ever would.

Package arrived this afternoon containing the new Magneto V2 and a couple of other bits and pieces from Gary.

Many thanks, first class service, cant wait to try it out.

Ive been itching to try out the new Magneto-speed Chronograph since it arrived, today was the day I was free.

I arrived at the range, gusting 13mph - 19 mph - no way I would have set up my Oehler in these conditions.

I'd read from a couple of people they had problems with the "bayo" part slipping forwards under recoil with polished barrels - so I brought along a piece of 1000 emery paper to wrap around the barrel of my F Class rifle.

The barrel isnt a super high polish, but once id set up the height of the unit aligned with the bore, the clamp made a reassuringly tight fit.

I hadn't read the instructions at this stage (still haven't), but found the main unit powered up once it was connected with the lead between the bayo and main display.

It was then simple to work out,,,although I was disappointed at first I couldn't read my ES of the loads I'd brought to test.

I set up a target at around 300 yards - my battery failed in the LRF so I had to rely on a GPS app on my phone....something like 260 mfrs it told me..

Anyway, a suitable distance.

I then went through 8, 5 shot strings of the various loads id brought for testing - barrel heat up wasnt a problem - it was 3 deg c and felt like minus 5...

Bayo attached to F class rifle

DSCN3625_zpsa9d9c600.jpg

View of unit - simple to read from firing point while behind gun

Display again - easy to read

DSCN3627_zps12fabdda.jpg

There didn't appear to affect accuracy - the rifle held sub .5 moa as expected, despite the wind doing its damnedest.....

After the serious stuff, I thought id try a little 308,

Heres a little 308

DSCN3636_zps0d937041.jpg

That got the treatment to the chronograph too

DSCN3631_zps01b8ab3c.jpg

Two minute job to swap across

No discernable effect on accuracy either - this held sub .5 MOA too

DSCN3630_zpsd8aebf06.jpg

Target is in upper right hand quadrant of fenced field below moor

Have to say that im a convert to this style of chronograph.

Im also impressed with the ability to transfer the data from the micro SD card to spreadsheet - again easy as.

Makes fumbling around with pieces of damp paper on a windy day no sense at all....

Ive been itching to try out the new Magneto-speed Chronograph since it arrived, today was the day I was free.

I arrived at the range, gusting 13mph - 19 mph - no way I would have set up my Oehler in these conditions.

I'd read from a couple of people they had problems with the "bayo" part slipping forwards under recoil with polished barrels - so I brought along a piece of 1000 emery paper to wrap around the barrel of my F Class rifle.

The barrel isnt a super high polish, but once id set up the height of the unit aligned with the bore, the clamp made a reassuringly tight fit.

I hadn't read the instructions at this stage (still haven't), but found the main unit powered up once it was connected with the lead between the bayo and main display.

It was then simple to work out,,,although I was disappointed at first I couldn't read my ES of the loads I'd brought to test.

I set up a target at around 300 yards - my battery failed in the LRF so I had to rely on a GPS app on my phone....something like 260 mfrs it told me..

Anyway, a suitable distance.

I then went through 8, 5 shot strings of the various loads id brought for testing - barrel heat up wasnt a problem - it was 3 deg c and felt like minus 5...

Bayo attached to F class rifle

DSCN3625_zpsa9d9c600.jpg

View of unit - simple to read from firing point while behind gun

f8b872bc-c1b6-4763-b651-63b51b0f8676_zps

Display again - easy to read

DSCN3627_zps12fabdda.jpg

There didn't appear to affect accuracy - the rifle held sub .5 moa as expected, despite the wind doing its damnedest.....

After the serious stuff, I thought id try a little 308,

Heres a little 308

DSCN3636_zps0d937041.jpg

That got the treatment to the chronograph too

DSCN3631_zps01b8ab3c.jpg

Two minute job to swap across

No discernable effect on accuracy either - this held sub .5 MOA too

DSCN3630_zpsd8aebf06.jpg

Target is in upper right hand quadrant of fenced field below moor

a4a2af33-f43c-4cd1-b2d9-1c9926289ade_zps

Have to say that im a convert to this style of chronograph.

Im also impressed with the ability to transfer the data from the micro SD card to spreadsheet - again easy as.

Makes fumbling around with pieces of damp paper on a windy day no sense at all....

Andy,

the display's default setting gives SD below the high, low and average figures for all shots fired in the string to date. It's a 2-second job to switch it using a menu option to show ES instead which I certainly find more useful at that stage of proceedings.

Thanks Laurie

I discovered that facility when I swapped over to the AX.

Interestingly the excel spreadsheet data shows both, I guess its because the display has limited character space that you cant have both.

Not really a problem, but I think the default should be ES rather than SD

Thanks Laurie

I discovered that facility when I swapped over to the AX.

Interestingly the excel spreadsheet data shows both, I guess its because the display has limited character space that you cant have both.

Not really a problem, but I think the default should be ES rather than SD

Hi

i have had one for a bit and have not had chance to do a back to back test with my ced crono

i would like to see a back to back test with your Oehler as i have all ways been told they are proberly one of the best cronos out there

if you get time could you run a test and see if there is any differance in data?

ATB

Col

Certainly possible Colin

Id have to wait for a calmer day,

My time is so limited at the moment that I needed a chronograph that wasn't weather (wind) dependant.

The last time I was out with the Oehler I had several misreads due to the wind shaking the tripod mounted timers - despite having it as low as possible, to minimise vibration / oscillation .

Have been using mine for a while and prefer it to the faffing about with an optical tripod mounted unit, especially on a shared firing point.

Here are some results straight from the units SD Card.

Data from Magnetospeed Chronograph for TR140
RUAG Reloads, 24.5 grains TR140, 77grain SMK Seated Magazine Length, CCI BR4 Primer
Shots: 20
Min 2787
Max 2840
Avg 2824
S-D 12
ES 53
Shot Speed
1 2813 ft/sec
2 2829 ft/sec
3 2820 ft/sec
4 2824 ft/sec
5 2823 ft/sec
6 2837 ft/sec
7 2823 ft/sec
8 2832 ft/sec
9 2820 ft/sec
10 2834 ft/sec
11 2824 ft/sec
12 2831 ft/sec
13 2840 ft/sec
14 2840 ft/sec
15 2820 ft/sec
16 2834 ft/sec
17 2821 ft/sec
18 2787 ft/sec
19 2828 ft/sec
20 2810 ft/sec
By way of comparison hear are the results for some RUAG Milsurp SS109 shot over a Magnetospeed:
RUAG 5.56mm
Shots: 20
Min 3094
Max 3125
Avg 3105
S-D 8
ES 31
Shot Speed
1 3094 ft/sec
2 3125 ft/sec
3 3109 ft/sec
4 3115 ft/sec