Poaching in Africa

Chris-NZ

Two ways to combat this.

1, Shoot poachers dead on sight.

2. Do not buy any goods whatsoever that originate in China. These people are plundering Africa,s animals for "medicine". Hit them where it hurts...in their pockets.

Update:

my SAFer mate who sent me this tells me they caught the mongrel and he's now doing 40yrs, a record sentence.

And I'd suspect SAF jails ain't the 5-star hotels we have in our neck of the woods.. :D

Chris-NZ

Update:

my SAFer mate who sent me this tells me they caught the mongrel and he's now doing 40yrs, a record sentence.

And I'd suspect SAF jails ain't the 5-star hotels we have in our neck of the woods.. :D

Chris-NZ

This was a particularly nasty bit of poaching,as seen from 'our' perspective,though the UK is by no means completely free of cruel poaching.

One option for some poachers is 'conversion to gamekeepers'-some poachers at least don't poach because it is easy and very well rewarded-the real money getters are further up the supply line,and need different treatments.Using the converts first hand,inside knowledge and often excellent tracking skills is far more likely to protect the remaining animals,and also means the ex-poachers wives and innocent children don't starve either.An 'eye for an eye' just doesn't make for much improvement here.Conservation means good management.

george

One option for some poachers is 'conversion to gamekeepers'-some poachers at least don't poach because it is easy and very well rewarded-the real money getters are further up the supply line,and need different treatments.Using the converts first hand,inside knowledge and often excellent tracking skills is far more likely to protect the remaining animals,and also means the ex-poachers wives and innocent children don't starve either.An 'eye for an eye' just doesn't make for much improvement here.Conservation means good management.

george

+1 agreed

Just done a long winded response and somehow lost it :angry:

Basically chatting with two Nigerian acquaintances today prompted by this post and the poachers are not making big money. Sometimes, and I am in no way trying to justify this despicable act, it is neccessary to make ends meet. Africa as a continent has some weird extremes with oil/gas guys having 3 or 4 jets and then not far away you have Ethiopia and Eritria (sp?)with absolutely nothing.

Far better IMHO the scenario of some not all "poacher turned gamekeeper" and providing an income than leaving these people to find their own income :mellow:

Then arm the gamekeepers to shoot on sight :)

Utterly pointless and barbaric act, the perpetrators want hacked to bits and left out in the bush for a very long and painfully death. :mad:

another pointless and barbaric act

nor does it protect any rhinos-poachers accept high risk (getting shot eg)-there is no welfare state safety net.And the kids left destitute ? Barbaric treatment didn't prevent poaching in Britain,either.More game wardens are what's needed-ultimately more education about the 'medicinal' nonsense issues-the rhinos want prevention not revenge meanwhile!I want to see a rhino saved,not a poacher butchered.

george

For what its worth I think its a blend of education, legislation and enforcement.

Yes,agreed-it usually is.

The revulsion is more about the method used here.

The general underlying issue is the preservation of a breeding stock of wild rhinos.

If the poachers had access to small portable electric saws,the suffering would be avoided and the hornless rhinos would still breed(incidentally chipping away at the absurd beliefs that their horn is aphrodisiacal-the real problem to overcome.) You may not like it(but ask why not?),but the rhinos might be better served by making such gear available-short term of course,while education,legislation and enforcement are vigourously pursued.

I would prefer to live in a world where no-one wanted to shoot an elephant for 'sport',but meanwhile,if someone pays $70,000 to shoot a selected non breeding old bull,and much of that money goes into active conservation,then it's about as pragmatic as we are likely to get for a while.And in enough of Africa,such systems are in place,as to remove any immediate threat to the species.The elephants are too valuable a resource to squander,allow to be poached if you like.

Snow leopards etc pose a more severe logistic problem,and tourist revenue isn't likely;'set aside'-pay poachers not to-is one short term option,but the problems are formidable,and education doesn't happen overnight even in UK etc where there is much less economic reason for pressures on wildlife.

Conservation means good management,but not 'tooth for tooth' retaliation, nor 'tree hugging' bambi-ism.

george

This makes me feel physically sick and very angry at the same time. Education as with most problems is the key to moving forward but in the mean time a programme of de horning the rhinos may help?

Archived