A serious long range toy

Chris-NZ

For those who subscribe to NZ Hunter magazine, you should eventually see an article on this particular chambering.

These boys are into very long range and of course, it's wind drift that's the problem with connecting with stuff at long range.

A few pics to give you an idea of what they play with:

The rifle itself- P-Chey Barnard action (makes my S version look anorexic..), 18lbs all-up. The high-vol discharge brake is essential to save your shoulder being busted..

Norm375Lunatic.jpg

The cartridge itself appropriately called the .375 Lunatic (excuse the terrible snap off the phone):

375Lunatic.jpg

The range of favoured projectiles:

CE-Projs425-375gr.jpg

That's a loaded .223 on the left. The projectiles are CE 425/400/375gr.

Ballistics are the 400 version at 3025fps. The case will easily deliver more velocity (140+grs) but the accuracy point is at 3025 for the 400gr version.

Needless to say, wind drift is an order of magnitude better than us lesser mortals are used to. I think he said just over 12" at 1000yds @ 10mph. You can see that the chances of a hit are dramatically increased over standard calibres, albeit at a slightly increased cost.. :o

Chris-NZ

Is it simply a 375 Cheytac that has been Ackleyed? Or something more exotic? Whilst the ballistics are excellent I don't really see the merits of hunting with monolithic high Bc solids, even 400gr ones.

Far as I know Dan, it's simply been Ackleyed.

While they're def not a std hunting design, apparently stuff hit with them doesn't walk away. That's a big hunk of metal moving fast even at long range

For those who subscribe to NZ Hunter magazine, you should eventually see an article on this particular chambering.

These boys are into very long range and of course, it's wind drift that's the problem with connecting with stuff at long range.

A few pics to give you an idea of what they play with:

The rifle itself- P-Chey Barnard action (makes my S version look anorexic..), 18lbs all-up. The high-vol discharge brake is essential to save your shoulder being busted..

Norm375Lunatic.jpg

The cartridge itself appropriately called the .375 Lunatic (excuse the terrible snap off the phone):

375Lunatic.jpg

The range of favoured projectiles:

CE-Projs425-375gr.jpg

That's a loaded .223 on the left. The projectiles are CE 425/400/375gr.

Ballistics are the 400 version at 3025fps. The case will easily deliver more velocity (140+grs) but the accuracy point is at 3025 for the 400gr version.

Needless to say, wind drift is an order of magnitude better than us lesser mortals are used to. I think he said just over 12" at 1000yds @ 10mph. You can see that the chances of a hit are dramatically increased over standard calibres, albeit at a slightly increased cost.. :o

Chris-NZ

Wow :blink: What a beast! :)

(Have you a link to where I can get one of those slings?)

(

It is std practice. The farmer who owns the land where our private range is has two sets of dogs- his working dogs and his dedicated pig dogs. The lads knife 90% of the pigs but most guys carry a short barrelled .44 Mag or even a .410 with solid slugs for "difficult" pigs.

Brian who's place I went goat collecting yesterday has a monster boar's head in his den with photos of two of his top dogs this thing killed in one session. They had to go back the next weekend with his mate's dogs and rifle and get this thing. Brian has some devil's horns stuck on the pigs head- looks amusing.

Chris-NZ

Would love to go "piggin " over there. Seen quite a few of the Aussie mags with the Dane/pitbull crosses in....what awesome animals. :o

Is that a pressure trace system taped to the gun Chris. One of the guys here has one and if you are technically and computer minded, it saves hours of load developement. Most of it can be done on the computer. The guy and his mate get some serious long range kills , so it obviously works.

• 8 months later...

(Reviving the thread with some further action)

Yeh, the transducer is actually soldered to the barrel Dave and that's tape holding the wire in the direction they want.

That Oehler 43 is a serious toy, they use it for every gun they're testing. For the sceptics, it can help verify BCs by giving the velocity at the muzzle and at 100yds.

Anyway, as promised, here's something for your amusement. It's Norm shooting a thar at 1065yds. He tells me they were shooting at 22 degrees uphill which is a gentle slope by Southern Alps stds.. He was using his .338 Lunatic which was driving at 300gr SMK at 3255fps. Do the ballistics on that.

Hell...that was a good shot. Absolute perfect placement and it poleaxed it.

A magnificent specimen too.

Thanks for sharing Chris.

If you ever needed an example of "tool for the job" then that would be it, fantastic, humane long-range shot.

And probably repeatable,if the Lunatic really has one moa drift...I haven't yet decided if I really want to know...!!

Gbal

The "small" .338 version would have more wind drift than the one min stated for the .375 version but it's -way way- less that what most of us are used to. They've gotta use high volume discharge brakes to make the things tolerable

The "small" .338 version would have more wind drift than the one min stated for the .375 version but it's -way way- less that what most of us are used to. They've gotta use high volume discharge brakes to make the things tolerable

Thanks Chris-is there any conflict of ideals between being a shooting enthusiast and a clinical audiologist when these things go 'bang'!! ?

Gbal

Rekindled my interest in something large

I haven't shot one (yet) George but they're apparently incredibly loud with the huge brake and powder charge.

I think I'd be wearing my best grade muffs rather than my lighter plugs ..

Archived