Sling for heavy rifle

So my foxing rifle weights in at just over 14lbs, and there'll be a little more weight onto that once the Optimus and mount get's sorted.

I'm currently using a Butler Creek stretchy sling, which is fine for what it is.

However, I believe I am having some discomfort particularly in my right shoulder from the single strap type sling. I'm looking to change to something different to get rid of the discomfort. (Already taking steps to get rid of the battery backpack).

Probably a two strap sling? But I'm open to suggestions here because I am not well up on the different types out there. the only one I really know of is the Niggeloh one? I thinkt hat has two plastic clips in the middle of the straps, what's the deal with them, I am a bit wary of them being the weakest link TBH.

I would like something that is comfortable and most definately secure. I do quite a bit of walking/running/climbing (stone walls with fences onto of them)/jumping/usual antics, mostly over either bog or rocky hills and the last thing I want is to feel the weight go off my shoulders and hear a very expensive thud behind me :o

Another thing I wonder is how stable will my rifle be on my back with that type of sling? I wouldn't want it swinging from side to side a lot, what with having target turrets on my scope and soon to have the optimus mounted to the scope also. I'd be concerned I may either loose my zero or the optimus from the movement/thumping off me :blush:

Probably makes me sound like a proper rough stripey deckchair but I'm not really, I just like to have all options covered!

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

I was in a similar position as yourself with my foxing and stalking rifles coming in between 14-17.5lb. I picked up a Tab Gear biathlon sling recently and have to say they are very good at what they are designed to do - spread the rifle's weight evenly across both shoulders. With a bit of fiddling, it is easy to set the sling at the desired length to prevent the rifle from rocking from side to side or generally lolling around on your back. I should mention though that I'm using it with two AICS stocks and the HK hook attachment on the non-bolt side of the rifle, which helps keep the rifle flat to your back and the bolt/windage turret facing out. Not sure how it would work on a rifle without attachments points to that side.

This sling also has plastic buckles for ease of access to the rifle and tbh I reckon they're durable enough for the use I give them which is on similar shooting ground to yourself by the sounds of things. I do believe that an 'Elite' version is available at extra cost for better buckles. I went with the Tab over the Niggeloh after speaking to one of the guys at sporting services (forgot his name!). The tab offers some extra padding and is wider which helps disperse the weight that bit more.

I've had it for several months and find it great for carrying the rifle across rough ground, preventing sore shoulders and freeing your hands for other tasks. That being said, it is bulky and difficult to use effectively from a sling supported position. I always try to use the bipod where I can and didn't figure this would be an issue but in recent weeks I've found the need to use sitting and kneeling positions that were 'clumsy' with the biathlon sling. I've since picked up their standard sling with 'loop' for aiding stability and it's excellent for positional shooting. I haven't taken it on any long stalks on the hill but the use it has got has not seen me with a tired shoulder.

Hope that helps,

Michael

Good post John, I too am in your predicament, long walks on moorland with a heavy rifle is getting me tired too!!

Have tried making several prototype double slings over the years - some better than others. Do think the answer is having the pistol grip area attached to a padded belt (which also takes the weight/stops rifle twisting about too).

I too am after a better way of fixing a sling to a rifle without using sling studs - just how safe/strong are they? Anybody got any alternative methods? (maybe should make this request in a new topic John?)

Regards Grouse

How do's John Galway.

I bought this one a while back. If you are normal height & have a chest bigger than 36" (fully clothed), then its not going to fit. Its a comfortable enough sling when you don't open it up but a pain in the ass when you do.

Also, ideally your sling would need to be attached at the sides of the rifle & not underneath. It "swings about" too much.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=alexander%20sling&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.swillingtonshootingsupplies.co.uk%2Fstore%2Fproduct%2F7375%2FAlexander-Split-Rifle-Sling%2F&ei=Bxl8UODPN6nO0QXjsYD4AQ&usg=AFQjCNFr-XIvrzweqUV0jrNDM6Xu17tO6w

My 2p's worth

FL

IVE GOT ONE SPARE TAB SIMPLE BIATALON JAMES IF THATS ANY GOOD

OPEN TO OFFERS IN THE £65 REGION

Hi John,

I use a heavy (16lb).204 AR15 type rifle for foxing (amongst others). I use a Specter Gear AR-15 QR sling available from Brownells, this allows cross chest or muzzle down carry. The SOP model is 1,1/2" wide,

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I've only had the new sling out a couple of nights, moon is too bright now to be out lamping. But so far so good. It holds the rifle well and doesn't let it swing about. The only thing I have to watch out for is when I'm buckling up the strap, get it caught in the stock and the rifle will flop about, but I just need to be mindful about that. Leaves both hands free even though on other slings my rifle with the T8 on the end wants to swing to horizontal on my shoulder.

Wow! Fourteen to seventeen pound rifles! How about a trailer? ;) I always imagined a "foxing" rifle as being quick to the shoulder and portable.~Andrew

I'd never be able to pull a trailer as well as the rifle :lol:

Maybe I should just put wheels on it like one of those old cannons :huh:

I'd never be able to pull a trailer as well as the rifle :lol:

Maybe I should just put wheels on it like one of those old cannons :huh:

John, you lads in the wesht are getting a bit soft.

Down south they carry a tatical as backup when crossing the bogs...

DSCN6631.jpg

I like using a simple rucksack style sling.

Grovtec is my favourite as it dries quick and is tough.

edi

Lol Edi,

I remember trying to bring two rifles with me lamping one time, plus battery backpack, plus lamp and wires, and two lamps another time :lol:

Sticking firmly to the K.I.S.S. principle now, as little kit as possible but as effective as possible, well at least as much as the technology limits me.

• 2 months later...

my stalking rifle is 18lb, i have a nigaloh back pack sling. spreads the wieght across your back and has quick release straps for easy removal, also comes with neoprin washers two take the rattal out of the swivels when attach to rifle,

• 3 weeks later...

Watch this space.

I have designed my own. Everything is at home ready to complete the trial builds and iron out any prototype problems. The design is fairly simple and will allow rapid use to shoot similar to a target single point and also be able to carry standard and also as a backpack. Makes it sound complex but its very much in keeping with KISS

This will be my first foray into using webbing, i'd like to make a fully leather version as i have dozens of hides and fully tooled up for leather work but i've yet to find a buckle i'm happy to use as a replacement for 30mm Austrialpin cobras.

Do you have an update on the sling you purchased John G??

It's a great job for me. Whether climbing a gate, fence, wall, or mountain I've both hands free and no need to worry one bit about the rifle. The shoulder strap would benefit from extra padding, but compared to the benefits that one detail is very minor. I would recommend one.

• 1 month later...

Archived