2nd Fly Shoot a Year

Hi All

Seems that a number of people fancy having another Fly Shoot each year.

Not wanting to take anything away from Vince's excellent fly shoot at Diggle, I have had a few ideas about possible venue etc. Vince has explained that there simply isnt enough space in the Diggle calendar.

The club I belong to can book Battle Hill range which is MoD and on the A66 in Co. Durham, about 20 miles East of Warcop.

The cost would have to be between maybe £20 and £25 per head dependant upon the numbers to allow to pay for targets, range hire, patches and a decent allowance for prize money.

At this time I was wondering what interest there would be based upon a few factors.....

1. Location

2. There is no club house, some range huts, but that's all

3. Date, it would have to be a Saturday as Sundays are non-shooting days at Battle Hill

4. Cost

5. Max calibre etc is 30 cal, NO HME, max velocity is 3300 fps

6. Being MoD there is a chance we could get kicked off at short notice if a "higher priority user" wanted the range.

What would people's thoughts be on this, its not a definate, but a rough idea would be great.

I dont know if the conditions above would put folks off, but its a possible option.

Cheers

Bruce

I will look into the possibility of one of the local clubs hosting a Fly Shoot at Bulford ranges in Wiltshire.

It would be a great way for a small club to raise some revenue. Don't know about the legal side of having lots of guest shooters though, and they would all have to have Shooter certificates with Bulford being mod.

Doesn't need prize money. Keep the cost down.

Rup, you beat me to it. I'll have a chat with our committee and the bosses to see what I can do. Won't be for a while at Bulford as only 'D' range can accommodate 500m and it's getting shut for a fair few months soon to allow the groundwork to be done for the new sarts system, and IR2 in Warminster would be a logistical nightmare due to having so many people to book into camp.

Pete

From personal experience of MOD ranges...they are a waste of time. It isn,t funny driving a long way to be told the MOD pulled the plug that very morning.

It does happen , and with monotonous regularity.

Full marks for trying to get it going Bruce however.

From personal experience of MOD ranges...they are a waste of time. It isn,t funny driving a long way to be told the MOD pulled the plug that very morning.

It does happen , and with monotonous regularity.

Full marks for trying to get it going Bruce however.

Hi Dave

I know what you mean, we have been beset by getting the plug pulled this year by Warcop, but Battle Hill seems a little more reliable.

Thats why I put the caveate of the magic "higher priority user"!

At this stage I am just trying to get a feel for if given the price and distance to travel people would be willing to participate, if we coud get say 30-40 people then it would be financially do-able and could help a small club out and provide everyone what they were after was my thoughts.

Cheers

Bruce

I don't think some of you realise how lucky you are to have Diggle on your doorstep. Most of us have no option other than using military ranges and putting up with the cancelations.

I will freely admit that I would be hesitant to commit an advanced payment for a military range booking, and I probably would not have considered driving 4 hours to get to The Fly Shoot last Sunday if I thought it may be cancelled.

However, we have to make the most of what we have. I would rather have a fairly local Fly shoot that may be cancelled than no fly shoot at all.

I will encourage several of the local clubs to incorporate a Fly Shoot and open it up to visitors. I think they may be surprised at the extra interest this could generate.

Rup

Ps. I believe clubs can get around the shooter safety certificate by having a club official observing the guest. Please correct me if this is not the case.

Bruce

im up for this at BH.

I know the frustration as I also shoot with FCSA UK, which have had two shoots pulled at short notice already at Warcop.....

How about a mid mid week fly shoot. Weekends to some of us are few and far between.

Diggle could accommodate mid week?

Bingo !

That never crossed my mind Dave.

It would be simplicity itself to book Diggle midweek, there is always space.

Just be a case of booking a days holiday for most people , which would be cheaper than paying for a military range.

As far as the safe shooter cert is concerned, as long as the person on the firing point is being observerved by a club member, then it's not needed. And at least at Bulford, I can do my best to pull strings to make sure it doesn't get cancelled, but I can't pull that favour for all shoots, and the 'greens' are pretty cool here and do try to give at least 48hrs notice.

How about a mid mid week fly shoot. Weekends to some of us are few and far between.

Diggle could accommodate mid week?

Midweek wouldn't be a problem at Diggle but would we get the turn-out? Of the 63 shooters last weekend about a quarter were visitors - the rest Diggle members.

We have a lot of members who are happy to drive a good way for our shoots as they know they will not be cancelled.

Vince

Diggle may be convenient, if, you don't need to drive 4 1/2 hours each way. Ok, If a fly shoot gets held 'doon south' then some who do diggle won't travel, but the people who struggle to justify the cost of fuel and the drive 'oop north' to diggle, are highly likely to do a 'local' (within a few hours drive) fly.

As for mod ranges cancelling, it's a cost issue, with no military unit on the 'complex', it's up to the civvy clubs to pay the overtime for three wardens, which doubles the cost (even if us wardens still get pittance) but if a fly shoot is going to cover the bill, there is no need to cancel.

SD, Who can book an MoD range, does it need to be a HO approved club?

To cover the range fees for a "one off" Fly shoot, you would have to get people to pre-pay or run the risk of falling short if there was a bad weather forecast.  I personally wouldn't want to take that financial  risk.

I was thinking along the lines of a club booking the range and running the comp as a guest day. Guests would have to submit their details to the club secretary who would pass those details on to the HO as is usual. This would give the club an idea of numbers which would  enable an educated guess as to wether the potential funds raised would cover the additional costs involved if the military booking was cancelled.

As I said earlier, you guys have it real easy at Diggle !!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived