New addition to the gun room.

247sniper

Got a new toy fellas, fancied one for a while. I thought the 50 ftlb was Ott a bit but my Rfd had two in and the other was a 60ftlb choose the 50 as I thought it to be the more sensible one out of the two ! Price was right and was able to sell my other FAC air rifle to someone else at the same time.

Well here she is.... I think it's like my wife's boxer dog, looks only a mother would love, or you love the look or hate it.

Daystate Air Ranger.

40d5b202.jpg

Atb

Steve.

Yes mate, hopefully it'll do the biz with some heavey weight pellets, I'll let you know how she goes .

Steve

I use bisley magnums out to 70 yards with my fac air rifle, with great success much to the annoyance of the rabbits / pigeons. I've heard very good things about the daystates are they as good as people say? I'm still tempted to change my rifle in for one. What calibre is she? at 50ftlb she must be getting close to the sound barrier.

She does look good, a lot better than my gladi8or - now thats an ugly beast.

People tend to poo poo air rifles....until they actually try one....especially an FAC model

My friend and i used to use a theoben rapid 7 set at 24 ft/lbs for rabbit control on a golf course. It was absolutely perfect for head shots across the fairways etc, which could be as far as 80 yards. It was WAY more accurate at that range than any .22 rimfire, and was also a lot safer to use in such places.

Thats a very nice looking gun, and they have an enviable reputation. I can stiil see one of the very first daystate air rifles being shot by Dave Welham [ airmasters 88 ] at a fledgeling FT shoot near doncaster. That must have been around 1981. The gun had valve bounce, and discharged three lots of air every time he pulled the trigger ! :lol:

I think he won however. This was a very rare gun in those days, and the first i had ever seen. Daystate were originally tranquiliser gun makers.

Good luck with it.

Can I ask a silly question: How is a FAC air rifle described on a FAC? Is it simply an air rifle in excess of 12ftlbs or is a power level stipulated?

On my certificate is say, FAC rated air rifle (over 12ftlb) .

Steve

Thanks for your comment fellas,

Went out with the new daystate yesterday to try some other pellets out and do some fine tuning.

Very happy with the bisley mags but wanted to try some Baracudas. Barracudas turned out to be pretty poor, so I continued to develop the bisley mags.

Hole on hole groups at 30 yards was easy, and one large raggered hole at 50 yards.

No for the technical stuff

15 shots fired,

Shot 1 = 940ftps

2,3,4,5,6 all = 933 ftps

7 = 940 ftps

8-15 = 933 ftps

Shocking results !!

Extreme spread = 7ftps

Average = 936 ftps

The chrono graph was 10 yards away from the muzzle of the rifle, this calculated a true muzzle velocity of 970 ftps Using bisley mags producing 44 ftlb of energy.

Hope you enjoyed the read fellas.

Steve.

Can I ask a silly question: How is a FAC air rifle described on a FAC? Is it simply an air rifle in excess of 12ftlbs or is a power level stipulated?

On mine it says Air rifle 30ftlbs....I use a Rapid 7 at 30ftlbs with Bis Mags devastating yet safer than 22 rimfire.

Nice rifle steve how many shots per charge are you getting ??

Mick

On mine it says Air rifle 30ftlbs....I use a Rapid 7 at 30ftlbs with Bis Mags devastating yet safer than 22 rimfire.

Mick

Are they supersonic at that sort of energy (ie is there a 'crack' when firing)?

[Edit: Sorry, just noticed the data in Steve's post!]

Are they supersonic at that sort of energy (ie is there a 'crack' when firing)?

[Edit: Sorry, just noticed the data in Steve's post!]

BD

Why would they make a sonic crack at that speed, they are not travelling at supersonic speeds???

I have always understood the speed of sound to be 1100 fps or there abouts (given variances in atmoshperic considerations)and hence velocities below that would not create a sonic crack-am i missing something

Reecy

Mick

Hiya mick,

Daystate advitises 40 shot per charge, however during my load data session yesterday I had complete my load and pellet testing, had a bit of a plink about for a bit, I finished of and put shot number 44 and 45 back over the chrono to see if verlocitys had dropped from a decay in air pressure, both shots again registered 933ftps.

I put the rifle away and checked what pressure in the gauge was, it was registering 160 - 170 bar ish. Recharged it and put it away.

So a confirmed 45 concistent shots were recorded Mick.

Steve.

BD

Why would they make a sonic crack at that speed, they are not travelling at supersonic speeds???

I have always understood the speed of sound to be 1100 fps or there abouts (given variances in atmoshperic considerations)and hence velocities below that would not create a sonic crack-am i missing something

Reecy

Read BD's post again fella :blush:

Steve.

I use an airwolf 40 ftlb although its power works out at 34ftlb over the chrono with bismags.

I shoot this gun more than any other in my cabinet! Zero'd at 40 yards, at 60 yards its still one hole. I have alot of confidence shooting this gun cos its so accurate, bis mags are the only pellet it likes.

I have a small clay bank 90 yards up the field from my kitchen window, i practice hitting the small stones and its superb fun and very cheap!

Garry

I use an airwolf 40 ftlb although its power works out at 34ftlb over the chrono with bismags.

I shoot this gun more than any other in my cabinet! Zero'd at 40 yards, at 60 yards its still one hole. I have alot of confidence shooting this gun cos its so accurate, bis mags are the only pellet it likes.

I have a small clay bank 90 yards up the field from my kitchen window, i practice hitting the small stones and its superb fun and very cheap!

Garry

Hiya Gary,

Yes they seem fantastic don't they, out of interest mate what is your shot count on a fill?

Steve,

Im not sure actually, I have never tried it but its more than enough for a hunting trip!

From zeroing etc and messing around I have never shot any more than 3-4 mag fills in one outing so that worls out around 30 odd shots and it still shoots fine.

I never seem to shoot anymore than one or two mag fills in a hunting outing so I never worry.

The only grip I have is that its a bit cumbersome, Id be tempted to buy a mark4 daystate or something similar with a smaller air canister for ease of carrying and crawling through bushes etc.

Excellent guns though! Wouldnt buy anything else now!

• 1 month later...

I have just had my air ranger back from Daystate.I had the power increased from 24 ft lbs to 29 ft lbs.It is in 20 cal and shoots the JSB exacts into tiny little groups.Overall a very nice peice of kit.With the warmer evenings coming them old bunnies are in for abit of stick.

ATB SEAN

• 3 weeks later...

Taking this sideways for a mo....

Re- Baldies reference to Dave Welham and Airmasters... he's just replaced the seals and serviced a Titan Bearcat in .22 for me... just waiting for an opportune moment to go out and zero it. I was with a mate who was buying a new BSA and it was literally half-way across the counter in part-ex when I said I'd have it! - Lol, the look on the guy's face was a bit of a picture. I'd have said yes before it got that far but hadn't realised he was intending to p-ex it. Will go nicely with my Titan MPT in .177, now that is accurate and has accounted for loads of squidgers and dangs out to 40yds in it's time.

atb

FBW

B)

Blooming weather... it's pishing it doon here again now! <_< merde.

Archived