F-Class and stalking?

flyingfisherman

Hi guys,

been thinking a lot about dedicated target rifles and F-class along with my current rifles.. i was wondering how many people shoot F-class with their varminting/stalking rig?

Ive just put a variation in for a big 7mm cal.. (ive literally been granted that via phone conversation!) and although im pretty settled on calibre (either 7 SAUM or straight .284), im not so sure that i will go for a slippy stock and shiny scaffolding tube..

So who has a rifle that does everything!?! :-D

If you want to be competative, you will find that a "one rifle, do all" wont work.

Neither will a 7mm be suited to vermin control, and you wont want to toke a 20lb F Class rig around stalking either....

My advice would be build a stalking rifle and use it for F class, if you really like F class have another rifle built.

I did it with my 7 WSM but you have to make some very big compromises and at the end of the day neither will be perfect, I also doubt you will be competitive in F class with it.

Sinclairs do sell a forend conversion to help using a proper front rest.

I had this made up to fit a SEB rest

rest10.jpg

and this to ride a rear bag

rest9.jpg

I would say the advice you have been given by Andy and Ian is spot on. Having said that there are some very good deals to be had at the moment with secound hand rifles and kit about.

The other line to take may be to build or rebarrel one secound had target gun , rebarrel your stalking rifle in the same calibre so you can use the powder and cases between the two rifles along with the dies , the costs will be around the same as a new build rifle whitch under your first ideas will not be ideal for both tasks.

Ive used F class guns for foxing and its hard to lug 20 odd lbs about even on a truck back, Ive also stocked a 6.5x47 with a Mcmillan A5 stock and a full 3inch Fclass stock for duel use , it still hard to weel around in the the field for foxing and deer control changeing the stocks over is no hard thing but its just not quite ideal for the field.

Dennis Groom has had a F class rig for sale on the stalking directory for nothing money give him a bell it might still be there .

The other thing to think about is , when you get your long range rifle shooting well at 1000yrds you wont want to be chopping it around in the field.

Danny.

my first f class rifle was built on a sako 75 action and ill admit its heavy but ive used for both foxing and stalking

I tend to agree with the above general opinions.

There are, however, always exceptions. I built a 6.5-.284 last month for a chap, who wanted a long range deer rifle for the clearfell he shoots in Scotland, where the shots are always long. There are a couple of serious F class shooters in the syndicate, and they tend to set up essentially what are F class rigs to shoot the deer which are on cull programme.

I,ve just started building one for a mate of this chap in .284 win, on a Valkyrie, and its going in the new McMillan thumbhole stock. Barrel is a heavy Bartlien at 30" then a jet-z. Not a carry gun, but one built for a specific purpose.

Neither are stalking rifles whatsoever, but long range deer killers.Not everyones cup of tea, ethics and morals of long range deer shooting aside....but a solution to a problem.

Neither are stalking rifles whatsoever, but long range deer killers.Not everyones cup of tea, ethics and morals of long range deer shooting aside....but a solution to a problem.

That's exactly what my 7 WSM was, it was a ambush rifle.

my first f-class rifle was a long range varmint 243 ackley ,and i had lots of fun with it,it wasnt as competitive compared with the 6.5-284s and 7 wsms and 7mm boo boos that were about at that time but it helped me read the wind a little better and i then decided to build a proper f-open rifle wonce i was hooked on the sport

if i was you build a 284 of some sort in a rig you can use for both till your hooked which wont take long lol

i still think the 284 is the best f-open caliber for pure accuracy

Thanks for the replies guys, interesting to hear your views.. I currently shoot a 7mm08 custom rifle which performs admirably well.. I completely agree with the theory of 'jack of all trades, master of none' and will probably do as suggested which is to shoot my current rifle in the target environment to see if i like it, if i do get hooked, then i shall look at a dedicated rifle. I use the 7mm for everything from rabbits to red stags.. it seems to do the jobs well! I would love to play around more with my rifle at 800yds + and see how much i can glean out of it.. Ive started load developing to get higher velocity for these extended ranges with low ES/SD and good grouping as when i shot at 1000yds, i had 2.5MOA of vertical which is a lot considering an ES of 20fps and average accuracy of sub 0.5MOA. So with this in mind i wonder whether lack of velocity is leading to increased elevation (hence why im looking for more speed!!)

What about a 'switch-barrel' option?

A decent F Class barrel will weigh 8lbs - making the rifle too heavy to carry. With a switch barrel, choose a light barrel in your preferred stalking calibre 7-08, then a balls-out no compromise cartridge for F Class in a heavy barrel.

Vince

Cheers Vince & Danny, that is certainly an option.. Ive been onto Dennis G ref second hand actions and F class set ups but im not 100% sure i should make the jump so im going to sit on the fence for the time being and take Vince's advise which was to shoot the 7mm08 for a year at f-class and if i get the bug, then decided what i want and get it..

I like the idea of shooting 7SAUM or similar for red deer but to be completely honest, i dont shoot enough reds and certainly none that my 7mm08 cant do well at. I shall keep my 7mm slot open and be ready to move if a bargain comes up i think..

Im looking forward to getting back to Diggle in the new year to re-test the 7mm08 at 800yds+

Thanks again for the info..

..... when i shot at 1000yds, i had 2.5MOA of vertical which is a lot considering an ES of 20fps and average accuracy of sub 0.5MOA. So with this in mind i wonder whether lack of velocity is leading to increased elevation (hence why im looking for more speed!!)

I'm assuming your projectile/vel combo keeps them well above 1200fps at 1000.

If the conditions didn't explain the vertical and you're certain your technique wasn't suspect, the other possibility is projectiles that might respond to pointing to uniform the BCs. Do they look very consistent at the meplat?

Chris-NZ

I'm assuming your projectile/vel combo keeps them well above 1200fps at 1000.

If the conditions didn't explain the vertical and you're certain your technique wasn't suspect, the other possibility is projectiles that might respond to pointing to uniform the BCs. Do they look very consistent at the meplat?

Chris-NZ

HI Chris, just noticed your reply. I believe that the bullet is still 1200fps + at 1000yds but at best it will only be in the high 1200's. Reason i have some niggle there is that while shooting at diggle, the guys in the butts said that they didnt hear a crack on some of my shots. Whether or not they missed it im not sure but this could show that some were dropping below Mach 1. Regarding bullet consistency, from past experience with bergers, im happy enough with them not to batch them.. maybe its an area i should look at.. And regarding the technique, im sure this must account for some of that 2.5 MOA elevation, but how much, im not sure. I didnt expect to shoot sub MOA at 1000yds on my first attempt or with my stalking set up but expected a little better than what i got..

Im hoping to get back to diggle and test the round at 600yds+ and ideally at 1000yds again with another load (on another of my threads..)

ATB for 2012 Chris..

FFM

Archived