The Rut - Magical Morning

Ronin

Im not sure if this fits in this section of the Forum.

I dont usually post about my stalking or vermin control, but today has been a truly great day.

I help to manage with a friend an estate in the south lakes area, its a SSI and very special place, with nature reserve next door, it requires careful and tactfulness sometimes as youre never far from the lens of someones binoculars...

The Rut is in full swing here, two weeks of roaring, barking and stags fighting over the hareme of available hinds.

Management plan is simple, take out the weak, infirm and leave the big lads alone..

I set out at 0 dark 5 and arrived on the ground about half an hour later.

An almost full moon and no wind made me wonder if it was worthwhile being out, I left the L200 near one of the estate entrance tracks and stalked a half mile into a place where reds are usually seen.

While I ws walking in, all around were the etheral sounds of stags roaring, barking and thrashing through the undergrowth in short battles.

I was in position at six, set up under an oak tree overlooking an area about 300 mtrs across which has patches of hawthorne, marshy bogs, and limestone pavement intermingled with pasture land.

There are beef cattle in this area at the moment - not so much of an issue as sheep, the deer seem to tolerate the cattle and viceversa in this area.

I took this image when I was out on another day with a different rifle, sorry for quality - basic camera phone

Ground.jpg

I settled in and waited, the weather was dry and warm, no wind, barks and roars could be heard all around, I honestly thought at one point two stags would come over a fence behind me they were that close, ,,, but its was still too dark to aquire any notion of which to select for cull.

I waited for another hour, moonlight giving over to dawns early light, I expected the stags to abate their activities, but nothing changed.

The roaring continued, it was relatively easy to identify individuals, I counted seven nearby at one point.

As light came, I saw a parcel of a dozen hinds about 250 mtrs from my position, the cattle were bettween me and them, (and the stags) so I took a tough decision and opted to change position.

Skirted against the hedgerow moving with some calves to a point where I was 100 mtrs from the hinds.

It was then I saw two of the larger stags, both 12 pointers, massive against the hinds - possibly 15 - 18 stone, in the peak of condition, I was enthralled to watch them battle, antlers locked together for what seemd like ten minutes.

Eventually the lesser stag yielded, but broke off a hind and chased her towards and right past me, twenty yards from me.

Fantastic to watch.

The two continued behind for a few hundred meters and went into cover.

I then heard a new voice roaring, again behind me, as it roared, I could tell it was quartering but getting closer.

Risking a peep over a wall, I saw a staggie some 100 mtrs behind roaraing his heart out and facing me.

Taking a kneeling position, the 130 TSX hit home at the base of the neck and he dropped DRT.

Singlestag.jpg

I expected all activity to cease, at the sound of the (moderated) shot, not so.

Another as yet unseen staggie jumped over a wall into the main "arena" and started to lock antlers with another - unseen stag, both of these were young and not great condition.

I thought, if the opportunity arises, I'll take one.

It did, after another five minutes of tussling, both broke away.

One to the left about 50 mtrs from me, the other right, trotting to halt 100 mtrs away.

Seated, I took the staggie on the left in the neck at 30 mtrs, DRT, then adopted a prone with bipod to check the other staggie - he stayed still and was facing me.

Long enough again for another low neck - DRT.

2staggies.jpg

The down side of Reds;

Three seconds of trigger time.

Two hours of larder time - the truck was full

Truck-1.jpg

A long, but magical morning, one i'll not forget for years and a day that makes me realise how fortunate I am helping to manage this particular estate.

Hell, i enjoyed that....and i dont stalk.

You are lucky living where you do mate. I was up in Ambleside only two weeks back. I never ever, tire of the lakes.

How the hell did you manage to get them in the back ?

I,ve also just realised. I have no end of mates and customers who stalk....and no bloody venision ever seems to find its way to Barnsley..... :D

I have a quad on site, which I use when ground conditions wont allow 4WD access.

Furthest drag today was 200 mtrs each for both the two shot together.

Once gralloched, its a case of back up the truck, dop tailgate, place a ramp ive made on the tailgate and use the winch - you should just be able to see the winch in the middle of the front of the pick up body, works a treat.

The L200 is pretty good for off road manouverability and getting places...

The reds still take some managing , but this way I can extract without having to rely on anyone to help with it.

All the carcass's are stored in proper chiller and taken to game dealer.

For those interested, scope is PM11 10x42, rifle home grown Rem 700 6.5x284 (barrel is a Brux), 130 Barnes TSX.

Once I skin the carcasses, I'll see if any can be recovered, as i'm interested in retained weight..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Andy.

I'm hoping that's one of those buggers that have been coming onto reserve next to said reserve! Keep seeing occasional heavy signs and fur on barbed wire etc. but never seen one on there yet.

I have missed all buck season hoping to get up too my ground and other lump of forest over near Hawes ;) this weekend with my dad so hopefully all goes well.

You really should do a few more write ups very good!

J

Great Morning for you Andy, just "ever so slightly" envious as I am stuck in Baku @ work. Enjoyed the write up, and brought me to better places than here.

ATB

P

Delayed reply Pete,

but this would have been perfect for the 275 Rigby.... :)

Hi Andy.

I'm hoping that's one of those buggers that have been coming onto reserve next to said reserve! Keep seeing occasional heavy signs and fur on barbed wire etc. but never seen one on there yet.

I have missed all buck season hoping to get up too my ground and other lump of forest over near Hawes ;) this weekend with my dad so hopefully all goes well.

You really should do a few more write ups very good!

J

Thanks J

I think the population fluctuates bettween areas - certainly now were in pheasant season, there will be more activity seen on the reserves....

Delayed reply Pete,

but this would have been perfect for the 275 Rigby.... :)

Andy

Very True...... the much loved 7-08 is becoming redundant in the face of the "Upstart 275"

I am looking forward to letting it loose amongst the Fallow, just as soon as..... I get thru with the W word.

:) :) :)

Well an unsuccessful stalk this weekend Andy all roe were seen when rifle wasn't to hand. Note to self male sure rifle is permanently attached to hand! Still beautiful spot at greenfield and pleasant company.

Archived