annealing do i need to do it

dully1963

Hi

I shoot 6mm BR how do Know when my cases need annealing,and do i need to do it the brass i use is lapua

any help and advice would be appreciated

Andy (dully1963)

Here's my take on it, there are two reasons to anneal. Firstly to help case life and stop necks from splitting, but if you're running hot loads then the chances are your primer pockets will give up before the necks do!

Second is for accuracy, but I do mean extreme accuracy, either bench rest or long range (beyond 600 yards) Annealing will help with consistent neck tension and bullet release and should hopefully lower your velocity spread.

If you're varmint shooting or stalking I honestly wouldn't bother, unless of course you just want to. If you're target shooting I would say it's a definite plus.

I look forward to the article in Target sports, they are always very thorough.

Check out the new Giraud annealer Ian, that goes on sale at Camp Perry this week. I,m gonna have one when he gets back. My homemade gizmo works, but it doesn,t turn the cases as it goes, so i have to use two torches.

http://www.giraudtool.com/annealer1.htm

:D Knew you would bite buddy. :D

Very nice aren't they ?

I,ve just ordered a trimmer after watching a youtube video, and then looking at 1500 .223 cases that need trimming/chamfering.

It looks good, especially for high volume, but I think I would still go for the Bench Source just for the ease of use.

I dare say we will get a review in 6mmBR.com in time, so I will reserve judgement until then.

The Ken Light I have is good, but possibly the slowest of all the annealing machines.

• 4 weeks later...

Tried to order one this morning, unfortunately got this reply.

John,

Thank you for your interest in the annealer. Unfortunately, because of the

automatic case feeder, this is no longer considered handloading equipment

and loses its exemption from the ITAR regulations. With the case feeder, it

now is considered arsenal type equipment and now subject to ridiculous

regulation and requirements.

As such, there is no way to profitably sell this unit internationally if I

include the time and effort to get US State Department approval for each

sale, destination government approval for the recipient, and ITAR annual

dues of $2500 per year.

Thanks,

Doug Giraud

Giraud Tool Company

So will have to wait a little while longer to get one.

With the case feeder, it

now is considered arsenal type equipment and now subject to ridiculous

regulation and requirements.

Give a useless chair-warmer a job and the authority to create and enforce useless regulations, and he or she will build a useless empire that stops other people doing productive work. Even the EC doesn't produce rubbish like this - YET!

ITAR was introduced to stop the old Soviet Union and Peoples Republic of China getting hold of western military technology and computer soft/hardware that could have military applications. Funny how Dell and most other computers we buy (and Americans too) are made in the PRC now - ITAR was obviously really effective in keeping computing from the Chinese, and having cracked that one let's protect US State Department jobs by harassing British target and varmint shooters instead. After all they're the USA's enemies now, the UK allied to the Taliban and killing US citizens in Afghanistan! (What's that, these Brits are paying taxes - and blood - to put troops into there to be US allies, you say? Well, Lordy! Lordy!)

Still we can rest easy in our beds now knowing that Aleksandr Alexyevich Putin and his army plus the 2 millions in the Peoples Liberation Army can't use a Giroud case annealer on cases for their AKs and suchlike!

Andy, going back to the original question. If you have a good tight chamber and you use dies (eg bushing or custom neck dia. models) to keep the amount you work the brass to a minimum. Likewise, set the sizer up so it only pushes the shoulder back marginally on each sizing operation, and neck tension on the bullet kept to a minimum, your brass will last a long, long time before it needs annealing. I like the idea, but will hang back from spending money and time on annealing until I see all top US benchrest shooters doing this. People are shooting groups in the 'ones' at 100 and three-inch 1,000yd groups without annealing and some 100yd 6PPC cases are fired around 50 times before being retired.

Hi

I shoot 6mm BR how do Know when my cases need annealing,and do i need to do it the brass i use is lapua

any help and advice would be appreciated

Andy (dully1963)

Andy,

If you pop 'annealing' into the search box it brings up loads of articles.

I use one of those metal claw syringe type thingy's, used for retrieving dropped bolts from the depths of engine bays, to hold the end of the case as I finger spin it in a blowtorch flame - then just drop it into the water. I do it in the right sort of daylight so I can see the 'blue' coming over the shoulders as I turn it. The length of the holder gives you excellent control over the turn rate / heat and takes seconds for each case so it doesn't take long to get through a batch.

Then I use an airline to blow the excess water and loosened crud out including that in the primer pockets and either let them air dry or pop them in the airing cupboard. Then onto cleaning the necks, trimming, primer pockets etc.

I saw one of the syringe thingy's on one of those tool stalls that has everything you thought you never knew you needed on the local market the other week, couple of quid. A whole lot cheaper than a dedicated machine. :lol:

atb

FBW

• 10 months later...

Check out the new Giraud annealer Ian, that goes on sale at Camp Perry this week. I,m gonna have one when he gets back. My homemade gizmo works, but it doesn,t turn the cases as it goes, so i have to use two torches.

http://www.giraudtool.com/annealer1.htm

Just ordered one of these for delivery in September but he'll only deliver to a US address, luckily I'm going to be stationed there for the best part of 3 months.

• 2 months later...

Well I collected both machines from the UPS Store this afternoon and have unpacked one to check all is well and see what I got for the money. Inside was the machine base unit and surprisingly it was already fitted with a UK 13 Amp plug, I am waiting to hear from Doug if it is 240v compatible as I initially thought it would be 120v only. Further inspection has revealed a 100 - 240v AC to 12v DC TRU on the back of the machine so it should be 240v compatible. All appears to be well made and of the same quality as my Giraud Trimmer.

Included in the set up purchased are all the Feeder Wheel Discs and Trolley Flat Plates to deal with all case sizes from .223 up to .50 BMG plus a spare torch head.

49A2BF94-3E03-4E8B-8573-803AB6228CDB-641-00000060C9CDA00E.jpg

The torches come with a regulator and an adapter for 1lb disposable gas bottles, hopefully there is a UK equivalent but they will be easy enough to get converted to a large free standing bottle and regulator set up similar to the one I used with my Bench Source machine.

• 3 months later...

Archived