At Bisley I borrowed Orka A’s sand-filled rear bag; it was a leather bag that’s sold as a front bag – but it worked a treat.

Made me think that it’s time to move on from the various improvised bags that I’ve used over the years; so this morning I decided to have a go at making my own from some cordura I have knocking about.

Aim was to get a broad base narrowing to a hand-squeezable top, with a wee notch in the top.

This was my first go – pretty pleased; turned out exactly to concept:

bag1.jpg

bag2.jpg

Now that I had a template, decided to make a couple and experiment with ‘fill’ types

The bag at the front is filled with polycarbonate beads (the ‘industry standard’synthetic bag filling); the bag at the back is filled with polystyrene micro-beads:

bag4.jpg

I have to say; the micro beads were steadier. I’ll be replacing the polycarbonate beads with a sand fill (I think the polycarbonate beads are too rounded and ‘slippy’; they want to flow around each other and the bag doesn’t ‘lock’).

Nice to find the micros were more solid; they weigh about an eighth as much as the polycarbonate beads – they’re the way ahead for something packable - it is absolutely Featherweight.

bag5.jpg

bag6.jpg

The notch on the bag top works as planned (can’t remember which bag is which in this pic). Obviously, not going to use them like this (although this worked for the air rifle!) but what I've got is two identical rear bags - one that'll be a range heavyweight, another that's light enough to pack along on walk-and-stalk:

bag7.jpg

Snowz,

What sort of pellets have you got? The polycarbonate ones I have are like cut-off drops of candle wax. I'm after something less rounded and more rough and angular.

i will take a pic of some at work in the morning and post up for you.

Brown Dog,

If you did want some making for sale, you could contact the lady who makes bags at www.equifixshootingbags.co.uk

She makes a vast range of bags but because she isn't a shooter, her designs just miss the mark - unlike yours.

Vince

When i was at School if you were to misbehave in Woodwork or Metalwork the Teacher would send us to sit with the Girls in Needlework. Seems that Brown Dog was a very naughty Boy indeed. :D

Nick.

Brown Dog,

If you did want some making for sale, you could contact the lady who makes bags at www.equifixshootingbags.co.uk

She makes a vast range of bags but because she isn't a shooter, her designs just miss the mark - unlike yours.

Vince

Thanks Vince,

If you fellows want one, when I can summon the will :rolleyes: , I'll make up a few more - 3 London beers for my time plus postage? [unfilled and you'll have to close an inch of seam with a needle and thread once you've filled it] if demand is greater than that I'll find someone local to knock them up for me.

Guys great thread i am in the process of changing the fillings for my front and rear bags to a lighter substance (bit of a carry some timesand bags get heavy), Browndog the light beads you mentioned are they the same as bean bag filler ?? and Snowz what would the weight of a filled rear bag be with the plastic pettets .

regards...neil

the light beads you mentioned are they the same as bean bag filler ??

No, they're about 1/10 the size - I tried normal polystyrene bean bag beads years back - and they're bouncy. For some reason, the micro-beads aren't - and lock nicely.

Vince

To be honest most of those look like a childs designed them :lol:

Archived