22-250 AI

MAG1

FWIW

I have two Ackleys, a 25-06 and a 30-06. Both on my ticket as the standard chambering. Feo was not bothered in the slightest when he did my renewal.

Both feed fine. The 30 from a standard Rem BDLmag and the 25 from a Kwik Klip conversion.

Nick.

My foxing rig is a .22-250 AI built on a Rem 700 short action, it feeds from the mag no problems at all.

You'll love the extra horse power the AI gives.

Mines running 52 Bergers @ 4070 fps out of a 26" barrel.

Charlie just hates it, basically point and squirt out to 250 yards.

Cheers

Dave

They say that assumption is the mother of all f$^k ups.... I would be inclined to at least *tell* the constabulary that the chambering has changed. It seems hit and miss. The previous head of Firearms in Derbyshire didn't care about the chambering, said that as long as it still fires the same diameter bullets that's all they needed to know and indeed couldn't record any finer detail than that anyway. Then things changed. Computerisation (changes?) and a new head of Firearms. Now they want to know the chambering and they do differentiate between vanilla and AI flavours. This will no doubt still vary from region to region, but simply because "it used to be thus" is no guarantee that it still is. If you tell them about the change then 1) if they don't care now and later it is questioned you can prove they knew and/or 2) if they do care now then you'll avoid a nasty surprise later.

Just my 2p....

Cheers,

Pat.

Yet in west yorkshire when I asked for a 20 cal the flo said I had to stipulate. I stood by my wish and refused to specify which in case something else came up and the renewal with additions went straight through. As has been said mention it and then nothing is debatable afterwards.

They say that assumption is the mother of all f$^k ups.... I would be inclined to at least *tell* the constabulary that the chambering has changed. .............

Cheers,

Pat.

Probably wise to tell them, agreed. Though I doubt whether the number of coppers who know what's different about AI chamberings exceeds half a dozen... This is just one of a great many things underlining the inanity, futility, expense and hassle of firearms certification: for God's sake, if certification is deemed to be necessary (and remember, no-one has ever even attempted to demonstrate evidentially that it's had any sort of beneficial effect) then let it be of the individual, not the calibre! If a nutcase gets hold of a gun to go on the rampage it matters very little whether it's a 338 Lap Mag or a rimfire.

Tony

Hi Dave,6mmBR, mind if I ask what load you are using with the 52gr Bergers and the twist rate on your 22/250AI.

Tony.

Ronny,

My 20 cal is on my ticket simply as ".204 Rifle", I could chamber it pretty much any way I want and it would still be an accurate description. When going from 204 Ruger to 20 PPC they didn't care, weren't really fussed about knowing, but at least it is on record and they DO know. When I got the 22/284 I followed the same logic, applied for .224 C/F Rifle and ended up spending quite a while on the phone with a rather knowledgeable head of Firearms that was more than happy to add that chambering to the licensing system but wouldn't allow it to be listed simply as .224 C/F Rifle. Curious, yes.... because in effect he was happy for me to have the biggest chambering one could (semi-) sensibly use with a .224 bullet so it wasn't like I could "sneak" a bigger one past them (forgetting for a moment the Eargesplittenloudenboomer, but that didn't work and I could probably exceed its velocities anyway).

You're lucky your FEO isn't too fussed and will still let you have a rifle on ticket without stating chambering. Seems eldon is less lucky. I don't consider myself "unlucky", it's not like they were arguing about the chambering, they just wanted to know... fair enough, it was no problem.

Tony,

I wasn't trying to justify why they would want to know, merely stating that sometimes things aren't necessarily the same across the country and more importantly so, not necessarily the same under the same Constabulary all the time. Agreed that the licensing system is not ideal but unless there is a concerted effort, a lot of lobbying etc for a change with *sensible" suggestions it is unlikely to change. It is what exists right now and like it or hate it, you still have to deal with it.... far better to be on the right side of it than the wrong, ergo suggestion of informing if nothing else :)

Cheers,

Pat.

Pat I agree with the points you made.

I wouldn't say I was unlucky just that I had to debate about the .20 cal as I fancy a tactical but if a ppc or something else came up then I didn't want to mess myself about. The FLO wasn't happy and so didn't automatically accept this which to a point I can see his view. The system passed it through so I suppose it is down to local interpretations of where the demarcation lines are.

You should all count youreselves lucky that youre firearms departments are so 'easy going'

Over here in Northern Ireland its not so simple, it took me 9 months trying to upgrade from a 223 to a 220 swift for foxing. Security checks on me had to be carried out aswell as land inspections etc and alot of other stuff.

But then again over here because of terrorism and all the fighting between protestants and catholics this is why firearms certificate holders get scrutinised so much.

Garry

You should all count youreselves lucky that youre firearms departments are so 'easy going'

Over here in Northern Ireland its not so simple, it took me 9 months trying to upgrade from a 223 to a 220 swift for foxing. Security checks on me had to be carried out aswell as land inspections etc and alot of other stuff.

But then again over here because of terrorism and all the fighting between protestants and catholics this is why firearms certificate holders get scrutinised so much.

Garry

Yep i can see that but do any terrorists actually have thier automatic rifles etc on ticket? Its like here the only time licenced rifles seem to come into crime is when someone goes crackers or indulges in a spot of poaching - yet we are prepared to spend a lot of time and money looking into if someone might change thier .222 to a 22-250 say.

Hi Dave,6mmBR, mind if I ask what load you are using with the 52gr Bergers and the twist rate on your 22/250AI.

Tony.

Hi Tony my barrel is a Border Archer with a 1 in 12 twist.

The load I use is 43gn N550 with the Berger seated 20 thou off the lands.

The 1 in 12 twist also works very well with 60gn V max with a charge of 41.5gn N550.

Obviously these loads are safe in my rifle so please work up to them.

Cheers

Dave

Yep i can see that but do any terrorists actually have thier automatic rifles etc on ticket? Its like here the only time licenced rifles seem to come into crime is when someone goes crackers or indulges in a spot of poaching - yet we are prepared to spend a lot of time and money looking into if someone might change thier .222 to a 22-250 say.

Its mostly security checks to make sure you havent got any history of involvement in terrorist groups.

I even had to complete a list of forms with personal and family information for them to run checks before you get to shoot on MOD ranges over here like Ballykinler etc.

Dave what kind of velocity do you get from youre 60vmax load?

I get 3580 fps running 60 vmax in my swift with n160 at 41.8 gr.

Just be interesting to hear as I suspect the case volume is similar.

I think I could push it faster but havent bothered trying as its very accurate with this load.

Barrel is a 25" 1-12 twist.

Garry

Dave

Regardless of whether the flo likes it or not, the LAW requires CALIBRE, not chambering.

Nothing at all wrong with working with the police, and educating them, i try my level best to do it myself, but when you get a stroppy flo, or one that has no idea what they are talking about, then sometimes you have to tell them the law.

They are subject to it, just as we are.

We have a "know all" at the moment in south yorks. He is a nice guy, but tries to force his completely wrong take on things on new license holders etc. He,s been slapped down several times already.

The firearms acts are a mess, and greatly need overhauling. Far too much is left to force interpretation of the guidelines, and thats plain wrong.

This subject, however is in black and white, as stated at the start of this post.

Its up to the individual whether they wish to stand their ground.

I recently barrelled an AR for myself in 6mmAR....a real rare beast. I told them i wanted a 6mm rifle, and was granted it.

Dave what kind of velocity do you get from youre 60vmax load?

I get 3580 fps running 60 vmax in my swift with n160 at 41.8 gr.

Just be interesting to hear as I suspect the case volume is similar.

I think I could push it faster but havent bothered trying as its very accurate with this load.

Barrel is a 25" 1-12 twist.

Garry

Dave

With 41.5gn N550 I was getting 3720 fps out of the 26" barrel with the 60gn Vmax.

This is a top end loading and the primers were pretty fllat so approach with caution.

I stuck with the Bergers because they had the edge on accuracy.

Both loads excell at producing red mist.

Cheers

Dave

With 41.5gn N550 I was getting 3720 fps out of the 26" barrel with the 60gn Vmax.

This is a top end loading and the primers were pretty fllat so approach with caution.

I stuck with the Bergers because they had the edge on accuracy.

Both loads excell at producing red mist.

Cheers

Dave

Thats fast!

I may try some 550 in my swift to see how it performs.

Thanks

Garry

I had a 22-250 AI years ago. Mine kept the original 22" barrel and got absolutely nothing in performance increase and stodgy feeding. I had a 22-06 briefly. I don't know what I was thinking...~Andrew

I bet you were dissapointed, should have AI'ed the 22-06 eh... :lol:

edi

I bet you were dissapointed, should have AI'ed the 22-06 eh... :lol:

edi

At the time my chronograph was an 'hi-tech' Tipico Time Meter that you needed a van to haul around, and needed to convert the chrono readings to FPS in a little book. I couldn't believe that I was getting NOTHING from the 22-06. I kept checking and rechecking the figures against the book! AI would have added insult to injury, as they say. I was young then and was in some sort of ballistic denial; mesmerized by that huge case and that mean-looking little bullet! The 22-250 AI was as much of a disappointment. The best AI cartridges I've owned were the 220AI Swift because the rifle shot so well, and the 25 Improved Krag which gave nearly 25-06 speeds in a single shot. I miss that one.~Andrew

Pat

Did I read that right 22/284 - Gods teeth, enough powder or what :ph34r:

pretty fast with light bullets, impressive with 75g+ I would imagine?

T

Archived