DIE'S

v-max

Hi iv been looking at die's in 22.250 to upgrade my reloading equipment & really like the redding gear but iv been looking at the forsters dies too. heard good things on the forster dies & wondering on peoples input on them?. I was looking at the redding type s match bush neck/comp-seat & body die set but being a tight scotsman im looking at saving a little hence the forster dies. I was looking at the forster ultra 2-die set comp-seat & BR FL-sizing die & the precision plus bushing bump neck die as a forster set. I take it that the redding bushes can be used in them as i like the titanium nitride bushes & was looking to save on dies to get a couple bushes etc what yous think???.

V-max,

I have both types and can see no advantage of Redding over Forster, in fact I'd go for the Forster units, better qyality IMHO, but Redding are 'it' in the same way as Lee are 'rubbish'.

Do not think either Forster or Redding will let you down.

Just my 5cents

Terry.

I use both the Redding Competition dies and Forster and have a preference for Forster, they are a lot cheaper and every bit as good if not better.

I use both the Redding Competition dies and Forster and have a preference for Forster, they are a lot cheaper and every bit as good if not better.

Yup, I'd go with the flow on this one; used redding for years, but have recently developed a preference for Forster benchrest dies. Lovely!

personally i use redding but would opt for wilson

now ponder on that one as well

barry go for the fosters they are as good as redding once set up correctly ,you wont notice any difference - and save your self some cash to buy more bullets

Cheers for all the input lads i was made up on the forster so my next question is are midway the only distrobuters in the uk for these dies??. Its all i could find when i googled them or who can you recomend me to purchase said items??

Taylor i was going to speak to you on this subject & if you can get & how much i will see you monday night in comming down with your new northern - :wub::lol: .

V-Max

I use Forster dies for my 22BR. They are every bit the equal of the Redding Comp Dies i use for my 6.5x284.

Got mine from Tim Hannams.

Prepared to be corrected but i do not think Redding Bushings fit the Forster Dies.

I use Forster Bushings.

Nick.

I sed to use Redding comp dies exclusively.

Now I will buy Forster BR or make my own.

The Forsters are half the price of redding, but equal in quality.

You cannot use Redding / Wilson bushes in the Forster dies.

Bushings arn't as widely available, but theyr'e easy enough to make anyway if odd sizes are required...

Spud,

If alternatives are being discussed then the Warner tools sizer is the way to go - bar none! :P

Terry

best dies are custom made dies to suit your chamber made by your gunsmith ,the reamers are made to fit the chamber ,that what i use on all my rifles ,but fosters are good enough for decent ammo

i use newlon blank sizers with bushings and wilson blanks for arbour type press

I,ve always used redding comp dies, but to be honest, they are pricing themselves out of the market.

I have a set of forster dies in 6.5 grendel, and they load ammo just as concentrically as the reddings.

The next dies i buy will be forster i think, especially as Hannams have such a vast stock of them.

I too love newlon blanks, they are real quality, but its not everone that wants to pay for the blanks then the cost of having them machined. Always worth it if you own your own reamer for a wildcat though, and you can trust your gunsmith to replicate chambers exactly.

OK folks, bit off topic but still relevent.

Can someone explain something to me while we're talking about chamber reamered sizing dies. I'm trying to get my head round this as, off the cuff, it sounds the perfect way to go, but i might be missing something.

Now, you've got your die blank and you've have also the reamer you cut the chamber with, so your sizing die is the same size and 'shape' as your chamber - yes. The fired brass comes out just under chamber size so using you reamered sizing die you are pushing the sholder back proportionally more than sizing the side wall of the case - yes? The die blank takes a bushing so you can neck size to whatever you want. Is this correct?

Taylor - if you like the reamered principle look at the Warners: http://www.warner-tool.com/reloading.htm

brgds Terry

i make my own dies - i buy 2 reamers 1 a finish reamer to do the seater the same as my chamber and a reasiser reamer 4 thou smaller to do the full lenght sizer die and add a bushing to suit my needs 2-3 thou smaller than a loaded round

the warners are nice but my homemade dies do the same job

Archived