338?

Ok dudes,

Think ive managed to get some permission for another rifle up to 338 cal.

I shoot ,223, 220 swift and 6.5x47.

I want a bigger momma for longer range.

What should i go for an your experiences?

Was thinking anything from 284 win to 338 or am i off my trolley?

Never shot 338, whats it like? Is it controllable? Or should i stick with a 7mm?

Any of you big boomer shooters please advise. :) :) :) :)

Garry

If you only want it for long vermin I'll be absolutely honest with you anything above 6mm is too much gun.

You are at a much higher risk of dangerous ricochette as the bullets get bigger and more solid.

Andy (Nemasis .243) and my self have both done extensive long range vermin control and have great results with 6BR's .243's and 6x47's.

We have had kills out to 900 yards with the 6BR.

Most varminting you will find is between 200-400 yards and there are not alot of ground unless you are very lucky that you can shoot vermin safely to 1000 yards.

Andy and I both thought the 6.5-284 would be the ultimate varminter but increase recoil spoilt things as with the 6's recoil is less and you can see your impacts.

For long range range work though the 7mm's rain supreme in F class and the .284 is a good compromise between performance and barrel life.

The other great alrounder for range use is the good old .308 will do most things required of it.

The .338 you will be struggling to find ranges which have the necessary certification to shoot it.

Also for vermin/deer use I would think is a non starter some have tried but hit brick walls with there relative police forces.

Cheers

Dave

I well liked my AWSM 338 Lapua. It was easy to load for, recoil is not an issue with a brake, just like a bigger 308 really. Downside is barrel life cca 1500 rounds.

Give some thought to using 300 grain pills if going over 1km. 250 grain Scenars worked well for me with a 27" barrel but to get the most out of the 300 grain pills 30"+ barrels seem in vogue. That makes it less than handy. I would however go for a rifle that accepted CIP length mags (longer mag for 300 grain bullets), assuming you are going for a mag feeder. The new AI AX 338 has 10 round CIP length mags, the old AI AWSM / L115 has 5 round non-CIP length mags. Custom actions - Surgeon do a CIP length 338 Lapua action.

A 7mm wsm would seem to do as well for BC, plus side would be more places and comps to use it. Downside would be about 800 rounds barrel life.

David.

I use my 223 for foxing and this and that really, my 220 swift for crows out to 450 odd yards although its coming to the end of its life, i will likely rebarrel in 22-250 with a tight twist like sir slots alots setup, he seems to have it down to a t with his rifle.

I use my 6.5 for range work and will possibly use it for longer range rabbits this year.

You are right about the 338 i think, it just may be too much gun for me to handle and get proper use out of it.

I want something different to what i have, 7mm will almost match 338 ballistics with the 180 berger at 3000fps.

Then again, will the 7mm be more recoil than i want?

It say ive narrowed it down to 3, 6-6.5x47, 308 or 7mm win.

The 284 seems like another great cartridge like the 6.5x47 and past 600 it seems to be the ticket.

Decisions...

Garry

Gerry

Ive persued the long range "bug" for years, bigger is better?

Yes and no.

I have "normal" calibres (22-250AI, 6.5x47, 6.5x284, 308, 7mm /270 WSM and a 338 LM

The 7mm WSM with 180 Bergers, is king to 1100 yards (or as good as the 338LM)

If you intend to go beyond 1000 this is where the LM takes over.

Get a good load using 250 / 300 grainers and you could reach a mile easily with a high probablility of hits.

The LM does not come cheap, loading your own its £3 at least a bang.

I only use mine beyond 1000 or "because I can" at certain fun comps.

I can hit fig 11's every time to 1400 mtrs in most conditions, Sean C on here has gone out to 1800 mtrs with his - I know, I was shooting alongside him.

Hsve to say that the 338LM is also exceptionally accurate - one of the "inherantly accurate" cartridges.

Dave (Baldie) here shot in last years Fly shoot with his and got a record small group sirca an inch at 500 yds. He would probably have shot a tiny group with whatever rifle he was using, but dont tell him ;)

Awesome calibre, but, like ive posted above, if you are not going beyond 1000 think very carefully.

A 180 Berger or 175g SMK in 7mm will do all you want under this distance and probably beyond.

Yeh, as Andy says, a big 7 should be the ticket here Gerry. It's always the Law of Diminishing Returns past 800yds, even if your budget or shoulder can stand it.

Can't see any point considering a 6Hot when you've already got a 6.5x47L. A fast twist 22-250 launching heavier progs would def have the med/long range varmint side sorted.

Chris-NZ

What is your intended purpose?

Your 6.5x47 will achieve 1000 yards. You have the calibre's for inbetween.

Now if you want something for special occasions then .338LM is where it is at. If you have ever heard one shot then you will understand the reverberation that they instill on the surrounding area. Your mate's will be love it and it will be a show piece.

I want one no doubt, but i can't shoot vermin or deer with one in the U.K. Targets are only so much fun. But then we get into a different dilemma.... I will stop now mods :lol:

Hi 6mmbr,

Have to disagree on your advice re the police and deer with .338, I know of several with this permission.

.338 is the mutts nuts.

DTA Europe

No worries but they are lucky.

One lad I know they approved and then resinded the deer clause and he ended up going .30/338 route.

My local force max is .30 cal the .338 is range us only.

Only speaking as I find.

Dave

Nothing puts a smile on your chops like a .338.

Its a long range gun, and takes over where the pipsqueaks stop. I,ve a list of calibres from 223 upwards.The 6.5 x 47 is out today for mcqueens, but when the range is past 500 and the wind is up, the cannon comes out......and it kicks ass.

Not cheap to run...but you dont shoot it every day. Apply it to its purpose and there is nothing that will live with it....except a Cheytac. :D

If i did go 338 what is the recoil like? Would it not be near impossible to shoot accurately off a bipod?

I assume a small amount of shots in succession would be limited before you would have to take a brake, ha get it (brake) :lol:

My intended purpose is not really for range use as we are only limited to MOD energy limits here in NI.

I have access to a bit of mountainy area where tjere are good backstops but if i was caught with a 338 id be screwed so thats why its too much gun for my purpose.

However if i did go for a 338 id keep it just to go over to the WMS in wales once or twice a year.

But the 7mm would be a bit more versatile and not as expensive to shoot. Just not sure if a 284 could push a 180 near 3000fps.

Dont want to go wsm as barrel life would be pants.

Garry

But the 7mm would be a bit more versatile and not as expensive to shoot. Just not sure if a 284 could push a 180 near 3000fps.

Dont want to go wsm as barrel life would be pants.

Garry

With Reloader 17 you will.

My F class load with 175 SMK's runs at 2970fps and I have run upto 3020fps and not seen any pressure.

So 180 Bergers will not be far away.

Cheers

Dave

If i did go 338 what is the recoil like? Would it not be near impossible to shoot accurately off a bipod?

I assume a small amount of shots in succession would be limited before you would have to take a brake, ha get it (brake) :lol:

338 recoil is nothing special. With a brake, shooting from a bipod 5 accurate shots within 2 or 3 minutes at 300m is easy. Shooting 20 shots (5 shots, reload, 5 shots etc) is also not an issue - I'm small so if I can do it anyone can.

David.

Aggree with David re recoil, if you have a brake it isnt an issue, I can spot hits with mine at 1400 mtrs with brake or moderator.

Not without.

Re comments regarding 284 Win.

Alot of us on here shoot F Class, (reasonably competatively), some more than others,,,,

However, the 284 Win and 284 Improved,will get you into 2900 with 175 / 180's (bear in mind there are also new SMK (180's) due to be released soon.

Barrel life is better than the WSM's, which are comparable to the 338.

There is always a compromise and trade off.

If it were me, I would be considering 7mm from what you have posted already.

By the way, you could alsways join the FCSA and shoot 338 over here on numerous ranges, which may assist you...

I shoot the 284 improved and it can easily achieve up to and beyond 3000fps,ok above 3k your pushing the brass ,but i think you can shoot a 7mm all day long and not get tired ,try that with a 338 lap it proberly give a nose bleed lol

Thanks fellas for all youre info!

I think i will go down the 7mm route, i think it will be more versatile for what i want it for.

Taylor, i understand you and the 284 improved have won the european f class cship. Would you recommend the improved over the standard version, in other words would i gain much at the hassle of fireforming etc? Im not going to be competing at youre level so should i just stick with the 284 standard chamber?

This re17 powder seems to be the dogs danglers, i must go and get me some to try in my 6.5 aswell.

Garry

Garry at the cost of custom dies to gain verry little ,i say no the standard case shoots just as good ,they will both shoot the same nodes .the improved version doesnt push the brass as hard as the standard .their plenty great shots on the leuge that use the standard case .

r17 is the powder if you want speed .h4831sc will slow you down but in all my barrles is more accurate ,so to me accuaracy beats speed

as for fireforming its not a hassle for me ,i just shoot my match loads and shoot comps, it shoot great fireforming

I shoot the 284 improved and it can easily achieve up to and beyond 3000fps,ok above 3k your pushing the brass ,but i think you can shoot a 7mm all day long and not get tired ,try that with a 338 lap it proberly give a nose bleed lol

I shoot my .338 all day when at warcop and senny and have no problems with headaches or any other after affects, but then again im not at the side of the muzzle brake.

If i could only keep one rifle it would be my .338 i cant wait to get it out again and see how far i can push it.

Personally, i would rather shoot my 338 with its brake all day, than some of the big 7mm,s without a brake. What does a shehane burn ? 70 plus grains ? My .338 is using 90 grains behind a 300 grain scenar.

Archived