Bipod vs rifle rest survey?

6.5shooter

I use a bipod for varminting as they are quicker and less fussy to set up in the field.

I shoot a lot of competitive F class and use a SEB co-axial rest from Brian Fox.

044.jpg

It's joystick control is a huge advantage for windage adjustments without having to disturb the rifle in its bags.

Cheers

Dave

Like Dave, I use a SEB Co-Ax rest for competative F Class shooting.

I have a couple of Harris bipods which are used on some rifles (swapped about), they are pretty good.

I also use a Versapod bipod - sometimes on my Blaser.

My favourite bipod has to be the Atlas bipod which is a bit spendy, but absolutely rock solid.

This has taken over as my main "go to" rifle rest for the 308 and 338.

Had I a picatinny or anchutz rail (easy fix) on the 6.5x47 one would reside there too.

Gary,

Horses for courses really. I'll use a bi-pod (Harris or even better Atlas) with 'correctly filled' rear bag for mobile platforms i.e. tacticool, in the field shooting. A compact co-ax with bunny ear rear bag for static i.e. off the bench.

Each has it's merits - what do you want to do with this??

Terry

Thanks for all youre input fellas. Just nice to hear what technique everyone uses.

I currently added spikes to my harris bipods feet to allow me to push into tje rifle for better results but if i cant get the consistency with further testing o it i may switch to another form of rest be it a ski type bipod or other sort.

Im not a fan of the standard Harris.

Cheers.

Garry.

Used harris for years, then had two major comp wins using an Atlas. That converted me. I shoot better with the atlas, and a rear bean bag, than i do with a seb rest i own.

Thanks for your comment Dave. Iv heard alot of people taling about these Atlas bipods. How do they function compared to a Harris? Do you preload them the same way or how do they make the shots more consistent?

Wanting to try a diff bipod but not sure wheter t go for an Atlas or Versapod.

Garry.

Thanks for your comment Dave. Iv heard alot of people taling about these Atlas bipods. How do they function compared to a Harris? Do you preload them the same way or how do they make the shots more consistent?

Wanting to try a diff bipod but not sure wheter t go for an Atlas or Versapod.

Garry.

All explained here:

They look very well designed and the rationale, as explained by the designer/manufacturer, is convincing. I've used various models of Harris bipod in the field for years and I think they're a great product, especially if bought at US prices not the bonkers inflated UK price; but if Atlas are lighter, quieter and more stable than a Harris they're worth looking into - though the price is shocking, inevitably, when converted into pounds sterling and bought in UK... Something else to add to the next USA shopping list perhaps.

Tony

Dave, Ronin, Terry,

I'm very intersted in getting an Atlas bipod for a light rifle project - the only negative thing I have heard is that the nut that locks the panntends to come a bit loose after several shots allowing a bit of lateral play. Has anyone experience this.

David.

Dave, Ronin, Terry,

I'm very intersted in getting an Atlas bipod for a light rifle project - the only negative thing I have heard is that the nut that locks the panntends to come a bit loose after several shots allowing a bit of lateral play. Has anyone experience this.

David.

Ive shot with the Atlas for three or four range sessions - 150 + rounds each time, no loosening of my nuts so far :)

Seriously,

the bipod remains pretty tight, I anticipate some slackening, but nothing yet.

Cant fault mine David. The Atlas MAKES you shoot better, because you MUST preload it....otherwise its as loose as that which promotes growth and vigour through a goose.

Must admit, when i first unpacked mine, i thought ....hmmm nicely made, but it sure aint worth what it costs. Then i used it. The design of the product is pure genius....it just works. I guarantee you wont go back to a harris. I wont use a benchrest anymore, I shoot better off this bipod.

I've been considering the Atlas for a while now, finally ordered one yesterday on the strength of this thread,it arrived today, Looking forward to trying it but if it performs as well as it looks I'll be one happy bunny. oh and harris 9-13 swivel anyone? :D

When shooting prairie dogs in places like Montana, portable benches are employed. Mechanical rests or bipods are then used. Shooting prone is not recommended as the dogs and the ground are often infected with Bubonic Plague. We were warned to be wary if symptoms similar to the flu were experienced two weeks after returning home.

As to benches one of the best in my view was formerly made by Varmint masters in Oregon. It could be leveled and then rotated with attached seat like a gun turret. The owner of the company has since retired and sold the design. The new version is similar, though I haven't seen one.

pd2002_282.jpg

Here below you can see the details of the rest with my 6.5-308 Winchester M70 at the local range.

260m70-1.jpg

When shooting prairie dogs in places like Montana, portable benches are employed. Mechanical rests or bipods are then used. Shooting prone is not recommended as the dogs and the ground are often infected with Bubonic Plague...

Canadian friends of mine did some prone shooting for prairie dogs in S.Dakota, and got chiggers... They nearly went crazy with the itching until they managed to get the recommended salve from the nearest drugstore which was miles away.

Nice portable shootin' rest, looks solid. Those concrete rests at your range are even more solid! They look similar to the long line of benchrests at the VHA range near Pierre SD - haven't seen them myself yet, just photos. My club has some pretty good timber benchrests but concrete is even more stable, just takes more effort/time to construct.

Regards, Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on the atlas bipod. I tried it over the weekend and like it very much. Very stable with zero hop. the rubber feet are much stickier than the harris so on a hard surface you can still easily load the bipod without the feet sliding forward as I found the harris did. Worth the extra money in my opinion.

Hello and merry christmas to everyone.

Just posting a survey as to what methods everyone uses for theyre shooting.

Bipod?

Or

Rifle rest/ bags etc

Be interesting to hear everyones techniques.

Cheers

Garry

I use a Keppler BR front rest and their rear bag for all my range shooting and a Harris Bi-Pod when vermin and deer shooting.

I like the look of the Atlas but can't see it replacing the Harris for what I use a bi-pod for. The lack of height and the leg adjustment being restricted to pre set clip stops makes it unsuitable. As due to a back and shoulder problem I find shooting prone very uncomfortable and prefer to sit.

Archived