A sporting rifle

Another fine job by McKillop rifles.

Once upon a time this rifle was a standard Sako varmint 22.250, a year or so after I bought it I had the McMillan Sako varmint stock added.

Now that I have a 22BR the 22.250 has pretty much been redundant, so it was time for a change. My first thoughts were a 20BR, something fast and flat. But seeing as I'm now doing more and more target shooting I thought about a rifle to compete in any sporting rifle event, such as the McQueens or the stalkers challenge, so the idea of a 6BR sprang to mind.

The most important criteria was weight, it had to be below 12 1/2 lbs with scope, I think it weighed in at about 11 lbs anyway it was way below.

The barrel is a 1-8 twist Pac-Nor which Neil fluted and threaded and has been chambered for 105 Amax to magazine feed.

The magazine is a Sako PPC mag and it feeds flawlessly.

The action is a standard Sako action along with the trigger, the rail is a 20 MOA Richard Near rail that Neil has cut back to fit the action and the rings are courtesy of James Clark from Jaeger Sporting Arms

As already mentioned it's bedded in a McMillan stock.

PICT0023.jpg

PICT0026.jpg

PICT0028.jpg

PICT0024.jpg

PICT0030.jpg

I manged to get 5 minutes to zero the scope in today and I hope to be able to get some laod development done later this week using 75 Vmax and 90 grain Scenars.

what height rings are they and what power scope is it?

a very nice rifle indeed, i think i saw at Neil's the other week.

do Macmillan stocks need finishing when you first get them to get that perfect matt look?

The rings are 1 inch medium height, they are too high for the scope really and a set of lows would have been better suited, however these were the only ones in stock at the time.

The scope is a Zeiss Conquest 6-20x50.

Yes the McMillans do need a bit of finishing off, several hours with wet and dry will normally make a good job out of them.

Ian,

I would love you to do a complete thread detailing all you rifles. You really do have all the gucci kit. It appears you have been down the long road to perfection with all your current builds. What you have it mostly all on my wish list.

regards

Dave

The rings are 1 inch medium height, they are too high for the scope really and a set of lows would have been better suited, however these were the only ones in stock at the time.

The scope is a Zeiss Conquest 6-20x50.

Yes the McMillans do need a bit of finishing off, several hours with wet and dry will normally make a good job out of them.

thanks elwood,

i have had a word with richard near, contemplating getting a set of mounts from him. also looking at the alpha hunter mount, there is a 6 week wait though on those though, how do you rate the rings and rail combo.

what grade wet and dry did you use?

thanks elwood,

i have had a word with richard near, contemplating getting a set of mounts from him. also looking at the alpha hunter mount, there is a 6 week wait though on those though, how do you rate the rings and rail combo.

what grade wet and dry did you use?

I'm actually not qualified to say how good a set of rings or rail are or aren't. I do however do a lot of research into things before making a decision. From what I have read about Richard Near MFG the quality is second to none, that information is based on several highly regarded US websites, not only that but Richard is a super nice guy to deal with, just remember though you are dialing Canada :angry:

Pete, I really must try and find the time to have at least a morning at the range, you will of course be invited.

Scotch egg, modesty prevails, I know a few people on here have a pretty nice collection of Gucci gear besides myself.

what sort of distance will this rifle be used out to elwood ? even tho the mounts look alittle high i think it will work well at long range. as the conquest hasnt got a lot of adjustment on it.

they tell you in the book to use on a rail for long distance shooting i guess this is because of the lack of adjustment ?

Looks great Elwood!

I went through a similar decision process and have an almost identical rifle but with a 1:8.5 Border finished in matt black Durabake. I'll try and get a pic done, been meaning to do so for a while.

It's shooting 70r Nosler BT's, 87gr VMax and 105gr Scenars superbly and all mag feed perfectly from the 6PPC mag.

Enjoy yours!

Tony

Ian, the bolt was fluted by Roedale.

Unfortunately it can be a bit sticky to open, you have to apply a little bit of up lift when drawing it back, it closes nice and smooth though, has anyone else experienced this with a fluted Sako bolt?

Neil has shown me the reason for this and it's a damn shame as it could be a problem when shooting the McQueens.

Dave, I doubt I will use this with the Dorset boys, it will be a nice light stalking rifle and quite possibly accompany me on my rounds everyday, but the main purpose is for sporting rifle events with the British Sporting rifle club.

Weather and work permitting I hope to be abe to find a load for it today.

Unfortunately it can be a bit sticky to open, you have to apply a little bit of up lift when drawing it back, it closes nice and smooth though, has anyone else experienced this with a fluted Sako bolt?

Neil has shown me the reason for this and it's a damn shame as it could be a problem when shooting the McQueens.

Dave, I doubt I will use this with the Dorset boys, it will be a nice light stalking rifle and quite possibly accompany me on my rounds everyday, but the main purpose is for sporting rifle events with the British Sporting rifle club.

Is the "sticky" issue due to the ejector lever that rides along the underside of the bolt ?

I just noticed that your flutes are in the opposite direction from what I would have considered usual which may mean that the lever has to cross the flutes?

TC

Is the "sticky" issue due to the ejector lever that rides along the underside of the bolt ?

I just noticed that your flutes are in the opposite direction from what I would have considered usual which may mean that the lever has to cross the flutes?

TC

TC, I'm pretty sure that's how Neil described it to me.

First load development was nothing exciting, using N135 and 75 grain Vmax, the best group was 1/2 inch, I will have a play with the seating depth and if there's no improvement I will try Varget.

I have some 90 grain Scenars loaded up with N135, I'm quietly confident these will behave as a 6BR should.

I only just manged to get a zero at 100 yards with the 20 MOA rail, I had 3 MOA to spare!

IMG_1572.jpg

Elwood this is my sako 75 in 6br. Had it for about 2 years. And i have the fluted bolt but they go in different direction to yours and yes they are a bit sticky when pulling back. I think it is to do with the 6ppc mag as when i put the 243 one it is perfect nice looking rifle

you can get them to work as smooth as silk. as long as you have put the right type of flutes on.

my flutes go in the opposite direction and are ramped, you can all so round of the extractor and this smooths things off as well.

the only time i have found the bolt to stick is when i did the first bolt with no ramps on the flutes

ATB

Colin

Archived