Using dry lube for inside the necks

No i deer

Hi all.

I was wondering who uses this method so to try and get a sweeter bullet release.

I very recently learnt of some who do...!

Maybe Alot do but I was not aware of this.

I was wondering if some of you has chronographed ammo with and without dry lube and what was your findings.

I chronied some loads Sunday with a mates magnetospeed.i fired 5 shots and had 3 duplicate loads.one 4fps faster and the other very very close.

It's it possible to better that or would I see no difference.

Cheers No I deer 

Leaving some carbon in the necks from previous firings acts as a sort of lubricant.

When you Ultra Sonic clean, and remove all carbon from the necks, the inside of the neck becomes 'grabby' on the bullet. 

I think the only people who may 'graphite/lube' the inside necks are those who U/S clean but I may be wrong.

Spray lube the exterior?? You mean the case exteriors are lubed when you fire the rounds?

Re-Pete

No use dry lube on inside of necks with a cotton bud before powder goes in so the bullet seats smooth and aides a smooth release on firing.i am not the only one it seems that wasn't aware that this can help to produce lower ES's 

Vaguely relevant, but not indicative of major research, I had very good chrono readings purely neck sizing using a collet die and reloading cases, no cleaning, just a fresh chamfer. Not so important the neck sizing bit here, but the lack of cleaning.

I've tried dry lubing the base of the bullet with HBN  before seating, unfortunately with no conclusive results. 

When working on a new load and tuning seating depth I load a batch, all at maximum length, take my Lee hand press with micro seating die to the range and shoot a group, then seat the bullets a little deeper and shoot another etc.

What I have noticed is that with freshly loaded ammunition the bullet will seat deeper with little resistance - with ammunition that's been loaded a week or so there's a definite resistance before the bullet will move.  I believe this initial sticking is because I SS tumble so now I lube the base of the bullet with HBN powder before seating, I no longer get the sticky feeling when seating bullets deeper but haven't really seen any conclusive results either through the chrono or on the target.

The way I lube the bullets is, I have an old airgun pellet tin containing lead shot and HBN powder, I just dip the tail of the bullet in before seating. 

While I absolutely get the desire to leave no stone unturned in the quest for a consistent ES in single figures, I gave up worrying about it some years ago.

My quest is for a consistently tight group, and experience has shown it ain't necessarily dependent on MV, ES, SD, or whether or not I clean the cases.

And sorry, I misunderstood Maximus Otter.

Re-Pete

I definately going to give it a go.i would of been intrested in seeing if there was an actual difference between lubed and non lubed case necks.maybe Laurie Holland or Vince has explored this topic and could enlighten us all ?

On 8/30/2018 at 1:09 PM, Re-Pete said:

While I absolutely get the desire to leave no stone unturned in the quest for a consistent ES in single figures, I gave up worrying about it some years ago.

My quest is for a consistently tight group, and experience has shown it ain't necessarily dependent on MV, ES, SD, or whether or not I clean the cases.

And sorry, I misunderstood Maximus Otter.

Re-Pete

It is Pete when your shooting at 1000yds.an inconsistent load from using an unsuitable primer inaccurate powder weights and inconsistent neck tension may see some serious verticles stringing at that range but they shoot well at 100yds..i just tested 2 batches of ammo.they were identical  bar the primers.using muroms they were near 30fps ES.

The CCI BR2 primers shot 3 duplicate loads out of 5 shots.one was 4fps faster with the 5th very very close.if dry lubing the inside of the necks improve on that then I will be impressed indeed.

Very interesting following this with interest but I can't see how you can better a 4-5 diffrance!

im finding  barrel temperature a major factor in my 300wsm using RS70 I'm getting one large hole at 100 yards from my load but difrent test results due to hot,worm or cold barrel temperature effecting speed but not group size at that range.

Any thing that may help lower ES would be of great interest.

just loaded 350 rounds ready for the week at Bisley in the hope I've got a good load I'll find out Monday!

Temps are cooling off now for sure.

I am not familiar with the 300wsm at all but maybe its the RS70.i did hear it's temperature sensitive but not sure at what temperature its sensitive from.i imagine you have already tried N165 then.do you shoot with the  Dorset rifleman as we may have already met.whats the predicted barrel life on the 300 wsm...?

Archived