.308Win bullet/load for 1200 yards

MichalS

To start off, I'm aware that's not the calibre of choice for that distance, but once a year we have a competition that requires You to shoot .308 that far. Some people actually have quite reasonable  scores, so it's possible... Most have problems hitting the target though :)

My rifle has a 28 inch, 1:11 twist barrel - what kind of bullet/load would  You recommend?

TIA,

Michal

190 smk perhaps?   It would likely be my choice,  as it is well behaved through the transonic region.  I've shot this with some success at 1000 with a terminal velocity of around 1160fps, launching it at 2520fps.  If you could push it as hard as 2800fps, it would be a stiff load with double base (RS60 or RS52 perhaps?) but should do the trick.  I don't know what its behaviour is into subsonic but I suspect the issue there you might have is drop.  If for arguments sake you develop a load good for 2650fps and accept transition into and under subsonic (terminal velocity of around 1060fps) you would require about 51moa (640 inches) of correction from 100yd zero.  You might get this using a hash-ret scope.  I could manage quite comfortable using my DMR scope (about 13 mils of adjustment from zero available and then just use the 3rd milrad hash under the central cross-hair).

If it’s only once a year, I’d be tempted to try the 180gr Warner Flatline solid that’s about to arrive in the UK. At 2700 FPS it stays ballistic all the way out to 1500 yards and looks very strong vs wind too. At 2800 FPS it will almost get you to a mile at sea level. Not cheap but if it’s only once per year....

They publish some good load data. With RS52 they are saying it can even hit 2850 FPS and they show some even hotter loads. 

308Win_180g_30datasheet.pdf?150879253738

NRA Match Rifle shooters use bullets in the 190-220gn region for shooting at 1200x, Berger and Sierras being the bullets of choice, but with your twist rate I wouldn't go heavier than a 190 as already mentioned

You would also have to consider that the MR shooters are also using 32-33" barrels

14 minutes ago, TJC said:

If it’s only once a year, I’d be tempted to try the 180gr Warner Flatline solid that’s about to arrive in the UK. At 2700 FPS it stays ballistic all the way out to 1500 yards and looks very strong vs wind too. At 2800 FPS it will almost get you to a mile at sea level. Not cheap but if it’s only once per year....

They publish some good load data. With RS52 they are saying it can even hit 2850 FPS and they show some even hotter loads. 

The data on their website says you need at least a 10  twist for those, but one point worth mentioning is that in the UK you may struggle to find a range that allows the use of solid/turned/monolithic bullets

Who is importing the Warners - 6.5mm.........?

31 minutes ago, Ronin said:

Who is importing the Warners - 6.5mm.........?

March Scopes Europe. 

They have the 121gr for 6.5mm and their load data suggests they can get them up over 3200 FPS. Fierce !

18 hours ago, TJC said:

March Scopes Europe. 

They have the 121gr for 6.5mm and their load data suggests they can get them up over 3200 FPS. Fierce !

Any of the bigger 6.5 cal will push 120 grainers in excess of 3200fps.i think my old 6.5-06 pushed 120gr nosler 3250fps plus.incidentally I've never heard of that make of bullets.

20 hours ago, TJC said:

I don’t know how they achieved those predictions. I’ve plugged their bullet and cartridge data into Quickload for RS52 and the predicted MV is only just above 2700 fps and with a much higher chamber pressure than the stated 54250 psi.

I got the bullet data from their website.

Does anyone have actual experience with Flat Lines? They promise great things and the Sniper's Hide reviews are also enthusiastic.  For occasional outings the price is not an issue,  I'm more worried about availability and my 1:11 twist...

Michal

4 hours ago, No i deer said:

Any of the bigger 6.5 cal will push 120 grainers in excess of 3200fps.i think my old 6.5-06 pushed 120gr nosler 3250fps plus.incidentally I've never heard of that make of bullets.

3250 is the max velocity permitted on MoD Ranges and that includes Bisley

15 minutes ago, bradders said:

Is that an across the board velocity regardless of projectile energy?

23 minutes ago, bradders said:

They were 120gr ballistic tips I tested for hunting.i am aware of muzzle velocities permitted at bisley Bradders ?

42 minutes ago, No i deer said:

They were 120gr ballistic tips I tested for hunting.i am aware of muzzle velocities permitted at bisley Bradders ?

And now everyone else is too ?

Actually it's 3280 fps, which is 1000 m/s

Limits as to Calibre, Muzzle Velocity and Muzzle Energy No firearm and ammunition combination which develops a muzzle energy exceeding 7000 J (5160 ft lb) may be used on any of the Bisley ranges without the specific permission of the CE which must be sought in writing well in advance of the planned use. The following limits apply: i for Rifle ranges, no specific calibre limitation but: a maximum muzzle velocity of 1000 m/s (3280 ft/s) and a maximum muzzle energy of 4500 J (3319 ft lb); ii for Gallery Rifle and Pistol ranges, no specific calibre limitation but: a maximum muzzle velocity of 655 m/s (2150 ft/s) and a maximum muzzle energy of 2030 J (1496 ft lb). iii for High Muzzle Energy (HME) firearms (see sub-para g below) the limits are: a maximum muzzle velocity of 1000 m/s (3280 ft/s) and a maximum muzzle energy of 7000 J (5160 ft lb); In this case, special zeroing procedures are required

Solids are out because of increased ricochet danger

Getting back to the original point, Match Rifle shooters seem to do just fine with conventional HPBTM/VLD type bullets in the 190-210gn range at those distances

52 minutes ago, bradders said:

Actually it's 3280 fps, which is 1000 m/s

Limits as to Calibre, Muzzle Velocity and Muzzle Energy No firearm and ammunition combination which develops a muzzle energy exceeding 7000 J (5160 ft lb) may be used on any of the Bisley ranges without the specific permission of the CE which must be sought in writing well in advance of the planned use. The following limits apply: i for Rifle ranges, no specific calibre limitation but: a maximum muzzle velocity of 1000 m/s (3280 ft/s) and a maximum muzzle energy of 4500 J (3319 ft lb); ii for Gallery Rifle and Pistol ranges, no specific calibre limitation but: a maximum muzzle velocity of 655 m/s (2150 ft/s) and a maximum muzzle energy of 2030 J (1496 ft lb). iii for High Muzzle Energy (HME) firearms (see sub-para g below) the limits are: a maximum muzzle velocity of 1000 m/s (3280 ft/s) and a maximum muzzle energy of 7000 J (5160 ft lb); In this case, special zeroing procedures are required

Solids are out because of increased ricochet danger

Getting back to the original point, Match Rifle shooters seem to do just fine with conventional HPBTM/VLD type bullets in the 190-210gn range at those distances

Exactly.

1/11;  190gr transonic-tolerant bullet will do fine.  28 inch barrel may not get the higher velocities need to make the job easier, but on a reasonable day I'd be using batched by base-ogive and weight a batched SMK 190s for this.

Archived