Went out for a mooch yesterday and my trusted Leica RF had stopped working.  Thankfully it was just a dead battery and all is well with the world again.

I have however, started to wonder (As I've had my RF a number of years now) when I will need to replace it and what is out there?  I would like a vectronix but budgets wont stretch that far.  Are Leica still the best buy?   

Do they now compensate for angled shots?

I have owned Sig 2000....not impressed by ranging or size of reticle / beam in the field.

Have bought the Leica 2700 recently and seems far superior BUT yet to test it on semi-reflective steels etc .

Leica does slope angle calcs and gives temp, station pressure and slope angle which are useful but I doubt I will use its ballistic table facility.

I have the PLRF 10's which are perfect but wanted to get a smaller unit to use mainly with Air Rifle and rimfire ...... This where my mistake started , I then thought of going for a higher spec and getting somthing that could double up for my other rifles if ever needed to travel light which looking back I've never done in my life .

Staying small i went with the Sig 2200 and boy was i underwhelmed with it . I won't go as far as to say rubbish as after the PLRF's it's hard to know what to expect but i ought to have bought £150 worth and stuck to using it with the pneumatics !

OSOK

I can confirm the 1600b has degrees of shot a the touch of a button , 9 or 10 º @ 200 can move your impact 1" high or low . So its worth getting a replacement with that sort of feature . I plug the data in to streloc pro but then that even compensate for incline  . But if your phone dies and you only have std LRF your abit buggered on longer shots . I keep a cosine chart in my bag with dope chart so i can make a calculation if needed . But honestly the 1600b never lets me down and pings crows out to a long way - i love it .... atb

2 hours ago, Chris-NZ said:

Look at this off  AccurateShooter Daily Forum:  Nikon have just released two new models and at face value, they seem definitely worth considering.

If they're as good as he's saying Chris they are definitely worth more than a passing glance thanks 

I've owned a few and tried a few more but the best one I've tried (and now own) is the Leica CRF1600B.

I've had several readings pinged back from just over 1240 yards in good conditions (further for more highly reflective targets) and in poor visibility, like many rangefinders, it can be limiting on range but the Leica is an excellent piece of kit.  It does have degrees of shot, and a useful in-built ballistic app which has a map that is calibrated to roughly equate to my vermin control loads with my .223.  It's never let me down yet.

The only other one I would like to try but as yet haven't is one of the Sig range as they get consistently good feedback from users.  Have to say the the little optic in the Leica is first class as a standby field spotter in its own right.

Archived