Scope recomendations

geek

Dear all,
I have been unable to obtain a secondhand AI AT, therefore I have purchased a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmore today :) (always nice to buy new rifles!), but I can't find any factory ammunition :(
I now need a reasonably priced scope. I would welcome any recommendation / comments from my initial thoughts below or any alternative choices.

Thank you.

Personal choice-and therefore a short list is what you need,then for your eyes etc.

The functional non compromises (and that includes at ANY price point) depend on what you shoot-distance and target size,and how flexible you want to be fromshot to shot at different sizes/ranges.

Fig 11s don't need a fine reticule-or real precision-mil dot (leupold is as far as I'd go down in price-£600 used) 25x more than enough

!000y and aim mark is about the size of an orange-at least 32x(variable,need less for mirage days!) and a fine reticule-Nightforce would be my choice.

Relatively fixed range shots-well,maybe a pre calibrated-but do not rely on the factory marks to be exact for your rifle/ammo..close,yes (so target sizecomes in).

If you anticipate lots of dialling-absolute becomes reliability-Nightforce.

For Nightforce,also read Sightron S111 (only you can juggle new at a price versus better scope used at the same price-I'd go for intrinsic quality every time).

Varminting-Night Force

Note- reticule choice is important-I'm with Varm,eg-NF are great scopes used (great warranty,as have some others)-but the DD reticule is a far better relatively fixed range reticule that it is a variable target one-of course,you can dial-then the dot(s) are ok...if I was foxing,the DD is excellent in a flat shooter like 6.5-ranges will never need turret work (and it's illuminated-though irrelevant for target shooting-they've long gone home!

I take 'brightness' with a pinch of salt-you have to see clearly of course,not be dazzled by the edge of the field of view-and have the small target half obscured by a large cross hair....not if you want to hit a small target a long way off....

OK-just some things to relate your use to- my favourites include the 8-42 NF with ranging,but the ranging is a gimmick-I don't find any call for shooting people-but it's got everything else for LR shooting,and works very reliably and precisely.Some think Euro glass is 'better'-but at used prices,specs won't be,and I don't actually like being dazzled in austrian-I prefer to see the very distant orange and put my fine cross hairs exact centre... for fast fig 11s,mil dot midriff will do,and on to the next...you get the drift,which is more important anyhow!

gbal

I just picked up one of the Zeiss conquests up. Duplex reticle though as these come with dialable turrets. quite pleased for the price. I also have a bushnell tac elite. ffp dosnt really suite me though. Saying that the glass is ok. And the turrets dial positively and accuratley. Either in that price point are pretty decent glass.

Drum

Thanks, but not enough magnification - think I need min. 24x ideally 32x

Geek - turn up at Diggle at any F Class shoot or McQueen and you can look through a whole selection of scopes - also, one scope not mentioned - and I'm waiting for mine - the new Vortex Golden Eagle 15-60 - about £1400.

Thanks, it will generally be used for McQueens (and general target shooting) me with the AI (and a 12-50x56 S&B PM II) and Shaun with the Ruger (and what ever scope I fit / can afford):)

Have you looked at the GEN II Razor 4.5x27? In my opinion better glass than NF and the best turret system.

That would cost more than the rifle :)

Thank you for all the advice, I am picking up a Sightron 8-32x56 with LRMOA this Saturday.

Now just need Breacher to sort out the bipod, and we are nearly there!

Archived