.308 Fattie...

Hot off the press yesterday and out for a shoot later...

IMG_3164_zpspuoobwza.jpg

This is an Odin action with 20 moa rail, fluted bolt , and fitted with a timney trigger.

The brief was a short fatboy in a tactical stock.

IMG_3170_zpspmczje7y.jpg

The barrel started life as a 30" heavy palma Benchmark and was chopped to 20" and screwcut 18mm x 1 and invisible capped. It will have a Tier 1 muzzle mounted moderator to go with it shortly. Designed to shoot heavier .30 calibre bullets, its a 1 in 10" twist. I think some subsonic loads are planned too.

IMG_3165_zpsrnyklhu0.jpg

The stock is an XLR and it has a folding mechanism as well as all the usual adjustments.

IMG_3171_zpsxnknxe2f.jpg

Sight is a Schmidt and Bender 5-25 x 56 and it has been painted in Ceracote coyote tan. The barrelled action is in the same, and the stock has been painted in 6 different colours of duracoat in a design based loosely on Cryptec Highlander. I say loosely because its impossible to apply the full masking pattern to a surface with as many bends, nooks and crannies as this. Cryptec only really suits a flat surface. This took over a day to do, and it was a right pig if I,m honest.

IMG_3168_zpsuhfhhqb1.jpg

IMG_3167_zpsawzbrqdr.jpg

Enjoyed this one....something a bit different.

Took it out today on a lovely day up at Diggle, if fairly breezy.

Shot and cleaned it for a few rounds whilst walking it onto a dot. Then shot this 5 round group. I did call the right hand shot as pulled, but its an honest group and they all count.

This won't take much tweaking.

IMG_0721_zps3kuepoa1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Its heavy....

It also gave a very good account of itself at 2 and 300 yards mcqueens on Sunday.

That was simply with a box of my ammo for my AX so the new owner could try it out. I get the feeling this is a gun that will shoot anything well.

looks beautiful, think I would have called it chubby rather than fattie though.

How solid is the lock-up of the folding stock.......no movement like an AI folder?

Archived