2014 Accuracy International Rifles

Scotch_egg

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, the AT really does offer a lot of gun for the money. I can see my AE MkIII being sold when the AT is actually in stock - next year I'd imagine.

I'm also interested in more information about the AXMC, since I'm assuming by the stament below, in long action it would be possible to run a .308 & .338 on one chassis? Guessing you just need a spare mag and bolt? If so, hopefully the extras would be priced sensibly...

"The AXMC is a user configurable, mission adaptable, long range sniper system available in 308/7.62 NATO, 300 Winchester® Magnum and 338 Lapua® Magnum."

Thats how I understand it works Tiff.

I believe the full kit with a case, spare bolts barrels etc is circa £12000.

I,m outa spare kidneys unfortunatly.

It had crossed my mind when I ordered my AX last year to sell all the respective calibres and buy one of these....

Have to say I absolutely love my AX. Shot it at 1000 , 800 , 600 and 400 last week at Diggle and only came 20 points behind the winner shooting one of my .260,s. Mine is in .308 and I had some very bad butt marking.

Very capable rifles....and very addictive.

Very sad to hear that your BUTT is badly marked Dave...must play rough up at Diggle!!!

Interesting features, not sure if anyone else agrees but I think they have designed both these new rifles with US civ market in mind.....the QD barrel feature is useful if you have several calibres and it's much easier to swap and change barrels and calibres in the US than the uk where we have the hassle of variations etc, fancy trying a different calibre in the US and it's a simple case of ordering a new chambered barrel, it comes in the mail a few weeks later. As for military application if it was possible to swap between .338 and .308 then I can understand but then you need the long action.

If you do have several barrels here in the UK how many here could see themselves regularly using that feature when you still have to re zero etc or just stick your favourite .260 or 6.5x47 barrel on and leave it on. Base Price seems good though, interesting to see if the "optional extras" quickly knock the price up like on the AW and AW.

That night vision rail will prove really useful..

Nice update though, will it really devalue the AE mkiii? Can't really see the point in changing for average joe.

I was toying with selling mine the other day and having a decent custom built as a 1 gun tactical stalker.

As for military application if it was possible to swap between .338 and .308 then I can understand but then you need the long action.

I don't see swappable calibres having any military application at all; it's a highly sellable civvy sporting idea - or marketing waffle from civvy designers who don't understand the military........all the swappable bits would get lost/ damaged in the first issue/receipt cycle; and if they didn't, there's no one in the world who's going to deploy with -and use- swappable kits......there are too many things to think about on ops that are actually important, and no space for 'hmmm, which calibre today?' gun nerditry.

I am sure you will like the new product improvements and I can assure you of at lease one surprise with one of the models.

See you at the show.

Tom Irwin

Accuracy International

Not being silly, but I haven't spotted it; what was the surprise?

Just doing some fag packet maths and more reading:

2366 (AT non folder, unthreaded)

+

281 (folding)

+

? 150 (threaded muzzle)

+

? 150 (muzzle brake)

+

VAT

= £3536

To my read, it looks to be an AW in all respects; but at a reduced price point (?)

The AXMC looks very nice; love the stock - anyone spot the new weight (2,6: Heave!) ?

I don't see swappable calibres having any military application at all; it's marketing waffle from civvy designers who don't understand the military........all the swappable bits would get lost/ damaged in the first issue/receipt cycle; and if they didn't, there's no one in the world who's going to deploy with -and use- swappable kits......there are too many things to think about on ops that are actually important, and no space for 'hmmm, which calibre today?' gun nerditry.

Agreed, which is why I think its very much oriented for US civi market, even if they wanted to market it to the military or police for 'reduced training costs' for example, or as a solution to other marketing department 'problems' they cant as it won't fit in the action. You could imagine the "oops Ive lost the Allen key boss" conversation. There certainly are other things to think about on ops such as proximity to coffee shops and quality hotel accommodation. :-)

This option isn't as strong as a barrel screwed into an action is it?

Its every bit as strong - same number of threads, same strong AI action. The only difference is its not torqued down into the action but held in place by the retaining grub screw. I can't honestly see AI releasing something that has not been rigorously tested and for those of us that are not using them in a professional capacity I think its a moot point. As an aside If you think about it you're actually reducing stress on the barrelled action by not torquing the barrel in.

Just doing some fag packet maths and more reading:

2366 (AT non folder, unthreaded)

+

281 (folding)

+

? 150 (threaded muzzle)

+

? 150 (muzzle brake)

+

VAT

= £3536

To my read, it looks to be an AW in all respects; but at a reduced price point (?)

So whats actually happened here is the "entry level" AI has become more expensive, and the "obsolete" military AW gets sold into the civilian market at a slightly lower price than before.

People looking to enter into new AI ownership end up paying more, for unnecessary features and robustness, with no gain in accuracy potential.

Good marketing strategy, with smoke and mirrors provided by the grub screw!

They do look nice though, anyone want to buy an AE with all the trimmings?

You could imagine the "oops Ive lost the Allen key boss" conversation.

and "I can't get the barrel back in boss" closely followed by 'I've crossed the threads boss"

...which would be similar to the 'I've knackered the threads using the spare barrel as a jemmy boss"

as well as "The .338 bolts we brought won't close in the 7.62 barrels we fitted the last time we used them boss - don't worry, we can have the 7.62 barrels shipped to theatre by the end of the month"

"we left them set up in 7.62 - and there's only 338 ammo in theatre; don't worry, we'll break down link boss"

etc

Archived