.22lr sound mod advice

Hi all I'm in the market for a sound mod for my bolt action .22lr with16 inch barrel. I'm struggling because there is so much choice out there.just had a read of a review someone did online and most of the mods on test were reducing the sound by around the 24,25,26db mark so is there really much difference between .22lr mods.

What would you suggest I look at or avoid I don't mind paying a little more money for a quality product so any advice on this issue would be great

Thank you

For around £38 quid you cant really go wrong with a SAK, lightweight, strippable, and compact, I wouldn't bother spending a lot of money on a .22lr moddy.

Regards AJ

a 3db increase in sound level is DOUBLE the sound level so yes there is a difference between 24 and 26 db sound reduction. There are many of variables to consider though, cost, weight (how that effects the balance) length increase to gun, if you want a stripable mod, finish quality etc. etc.

A SAK is a very good low cost unit that can be cleaned easily, if you want ultimate in sound reduction then the best IMHO always was the Webley BBMF Airgun mod, but is was very long and heavy and the felt soon clogged up and had to be replaced, not sure if its even still made. Julian at PES makes some really good .22 moderators that are very high quality, as does Richard at Swift mentioned above. weigh up your priorities and go from there.

The question you should ask is, "Is a -+£100 mod 3x better than a £30 SAK", to which the answer is, No :)

I take the point,but nothing is going to be three times better- there may be no correlation between cost and decibel reduction,but if there is,it won't be a simple X3 type.Weight,looks durability,R&D costs,and scale of production,and profit margins come in too.

As far as I know,no-one has done the definitive test on humans,and animals especially.....down range,where they are.S

and the measures such as are done are on a log scale-a 'small' numerical diff is more than it seems.

Much of a much on a rf,I rather suspect,however.So no to x£3,without real test data,as above!

Gbal

I have a SAK on my CZ 452 with 16 inch barrel, and with subsonic ammunition, the Thud of bullet on rabbit is far louder than the report from the rifle, its not so much a report, as a click of firing pin on brass, A missed rabbit at 50 yards hardly looks up.

Aj,

I have a SAK on my CZ 452 with 16 inch barrel, and with subsonic ammunition, the Thud of bullet on rabbit is far louder than the report from the rifle, its not so much a report, as a click of firing pin on brass, A missed rabbit at 50 yards hardly looks up.

Aj,

same set up cant fault it mines been in the cupboard for over 12 years and had 1000's of rounds through it with no problems

Looks like I'm going to be putting an add in the wanted section for a sak soon then thanks everyone

Don't be tight. buy a new one. I have one on my CZ bolt action. While the sound is more than 'just the click of the firing pin on the cartridge', there is little practical difference between the sound levels between the SAK and any other moderator. And, as someone else has said, the sound of the bullet hitting the rabbit is more disturbing for quarry.

a 3db increase in sound level is DOUBLE the sound level

To be more correct, 3dB is twice the intensity and it takes 6dB to double the sound pressure level.

More importantly, it takes 10dB to double the loudness which is largely what matters with rimfires. 3dB isn't a helluva lot of difference.

Chris-NZ

I tried various mods/sub ammo combinations on my Finnfire full length skinny when I bought it

viz: Eley, CCI, Winnies, Laps / The Ase Utra RF off my .17HMR, an old faithful Parker Hale, an SAK and a Sirocco SM2

The best combination for accuracy and quietness was the Eley/Sirocco combo. Picked up the Sirocco for £20 :) Must be something to do with harmonics..... nice when you hit it right.

Cheers

Fizz

On a shooting session a few years ago I tried a comparison between my CZ .17HMR fitted with a SAK sound mod and someone with an Anschutz .17HMR fitted with an expensive reflex sound mod. The vote from the onlookers was that there was no appreciable difference in sound between the two. Of course, we're talking about.22rf, so that may not be much help. But, the most effective .22rf sound mod I have is a Sako, which has plastic innards and it works a treat. There is a difference between that and the SAK in that the Sako is a tad quieter, but the difference is minimal, and wouldn't be worth a damn in the field in real world terms.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a wildcat whisper on my 22lr and it was in my opinion a massive waste of money (£125), it's a nice design and very easily cleanable, but it's a lot nosier than my Hogan decimeter.

I've not used a sak, but i've heard good things.

• 6 months later...

Archived