Bisley

Orka Akinse

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite this taken from the NRA website:

The Offices and Ranges will be closed from Saturday 22 December to Tuesday 1 January 2013 inclusive

I was told the ranges ACTUALLY shut on Friday 21st lunchtime. Plan ahead fellas.

I did challenge the conflicting advice but was politely told no the range will close at 12:30.

There a a couple on "No Danger Area Ranges" at Bisley that could be use to generate revenue over the Christmas Period, ie Melville. Using the MoD as an excuse is not the whole story. I whole heartedly argree with Baldie's sentiments, I have pointed out issues with Century Targetry in the past and been slated for 'Rocking the Boat'. The recent management changes will hopefully lead to a brighter future but there are still some people in the organisation that don't really give a hoot about what the customer thinks, they take the attitude that they are doing the membership a favour by letting them shoot at all.

Did my range cert on Friday. It was the first time I had been to the ground.

It's military background hasn't filtered through to the organization which seemed to be a little haphazard.

I can understand that a place like that costs a lot to run but it is in real need of renervation. The toilets were shocking and the bunkers not much better.

I am happy to pay the range prices if I can find other members to share a lane with. For me there is no where in the south that I can shoot over 300yds let alone 1000. I can't wait to get down there and start shooting long range.

There a a couple on "No Danger Area Ranges" at Bisley that could be use to generate revenue over the Christmas Period, ie Melville. Using the MoD as an excuse is not the whole story. I whole heartedly argree with Baldie's sentiments, I have pointed out issues with Century Targetry in the past and been slated for 'Rocking the Boat'. The recent management changes will hopefully lead to a brighter future but there are still some people in the organisation that don't really give a hoot about what the customer thinks, they take the attitude that they are doing the membership a favour by letting them shoot at all.

I think the whole thing sounds like hocum. The MOD range safety staff are civilians employed by Landmarc. Landmarc won't be standing their staff down to match the deservedly generous military standown. The staff will be there. This is undoubtedly a Bisley 'choice' rather than something forced upon them.

What's the point of keeping the ranges open over Christmas with all the added expense if no one's going to use them?

How many of you that are bemoaning the NRA/Bisley would actually bother to go shooting at Bisley during this period or are just talking the talk?

Here's an idea, on Sun 6th Jan we are running a Civ SR competition.

You're all welcome to come along.

I have seen the list of entries so far and know who's entered.

As an exercise, I dare all of you to take part

Entry forms are here

Link for online entry:

http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/mysite/loginform.asp?site=NRA&page=civSR/civSRentry1

or see box on front page of website.

Link for downloading entry form only is:

http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/Calendar/events.asp?site=NRA&id=3139

When you send in your form suffix your name with UKV and then I'll know exactly how many of you have entered from this site......I can guarantee now it won't be many, if any at all.

But you're all still welcome to come along and attempt to enjoy yourselves.

Bradders

What's the point of keeping the ranges open over Christmas with all the added expense if no one's going to use them?

How many of you that are bemoaning the NRA/Bisley would actually bother to go shooting at Bisley during this period or are just talking the talk?

Here's an idea, on Sun 6th Jan we are running a Civ SR competition.

You're all welcome to come along.

I have seen the list of entries so far and know who's entered.

As an exercise, I dare all of you to take part

When you send in your form suffix your name with UKV and then I'll know exactly how many of you have entered from this site......I can guarantee now it won't be many, if any at all.

But you're all still welcome to come along and attempt to enjoy yourselves.

Bradders

:wacko: Occur to you for even a moment that CSR might not be of interest to other people?

:wacko: Occur to you for even a moment that CSR might not be of interest to other people?

Unpossible, it's shooting, fun shooting, competitive fun shooting.

There again, it's not a newest bestest calibre and paint job wins type of competition, but it's on and there's space.

Your mate Strangely is coming along. Why not come and keep him company?

Walk the walk

Thanks for the invite Bradders but I'll pass.

Right now competition is not my thing despite your assertion its "Unpossible" but you never know one day

Oh and before I forget, IF the place was open I would be attending at least a couple of days and just so you know, I drove for four hours give or take, sent 35 rounds down range paid out £20 odd quid for the pleasure and another £25 on fuel yesterday.

Reckon that qualifies me to use walking the walk correctly as opposed to your talkin the talk.

Cant help but agree with Mark.

Bisley can be quiet at any time during the year, why it should suddenly be busy over the Christmas holidays when there are so many other family distractions etc doesn't add up.

I have been in sales for a long time and you would be amazed he amount of any product I could have sold as soon as the buyer was told it wasn't available.........

As for all the NRA bashing, it is far from perfect, but its all we have and killing it off wont do us any good as shooters, far better to try and look at it in a positive way and try to improve/develop it. It has some good people who do care, but how they put up with the abuse they get I don't know.

Ewen

Cant help but agree with Mark.

Bisley can be quiet at any time during the year, why it should suddenly be busy over the Christmas holidays when there are so many other family distractions etc doesn't add up.

I have been in sales for a long time and you would be amazed he amount of any product I could have sold as soon as the buyer was told it wasn't available.........

As for all the NRA bashing, it is far from perfect, but its all we have and killing it off wont do us any good as shooters, far better to try and look at it in a positive way and try to improve/develop it. It has some good people who do care, but how they put up with the abuse they get I don't know.

Ewen

Agree that NRA bashing is a shooter's own-goal.

Christmas: I don't agree, I'd be popping up for a day at some point; and given my 'average' that'd be significant; I'd think a lot of 'regular but infrequents' would pop in - can't believe it'd be worse than a.n.other week in the calendar; would assume that a holiday period - one often associated with shooting (eg boxing day shoot) would have a better chance of drawing punters than a wet week in October/November/February - when everyone's at work and yet Bisley is fully manned and fully open! :wacko::lol:

I can't see this as anything other than a 'thinks it's Army' organisation thinking it should get Army Christmas block leave. Knowing that Landmarc aren't stood down. Knowing that Bisley'll be open when everyone's back at work - well, I think most leisure organisations would solve this with a leave management plan.

Are other commercial shooting grounds shutting for a couple of weeks over the Christmas hols? You have any local club shoots on over the Christmas hols?

Boxing day shoot?

People shoot at this time of year. :)

Agree that NRA bashing is a shooter's own-goal.

Christmas: I don't agree, I'd be popping up for a day at some point; and given my 'average' that'd be significant; I'd think a lot of 'regular but infrequents' would pop in - can't believe it'd be worse than a.n.other week in the calendar; would assume that a holiday period - one often associated with shooting (eg boxing day shoot) would have a better chance of drawing punters than a wet week in October/November/February - when everyone's at work and yet Bisley is fully manned and fully open! :wacko::lol:

I can't see this as anything other than a 'thinks it's Army' organisation thinking it should get Army Christmas block leave. Knowing that Landmarc aren't stood down. Knowing that Bisley'll be open when everyone's back at work - well, I think most leisure organisations would solve this with a leave management plan.

Are other commercial shooting grounds shutting for a couple of weeks over the Christmas hols? You have any local club shoots on over the Christmas hols?

Boxing day shoot?

People shoot at this time of year. :)

If the Army aren't training and using the ranges over the break they're not going to put on wardens to patrol the RDA just to keep Bisley open.

Remember how Landmarc works, we civvy shooters piggyback off the MoD and I think that if Bisley was to open, you'd end up having to cover the cost of wardens for all the ranges in the Pirbright complex....which would make it cost prohibitive.

I could be wrong though.

Pete and I should be coming down Mark. I will be sorting it with him this friday hopefully. The only reason i haven't entered any of the early season matches is that we have just moved house , and she would have cut my spuds off. :lol:

The last time i stopped in the L+M house at the side...i awoke to see Basil the rat sat there, on the floor, having a wash.......

Never again. :lol:

Need to get sorted with a reasonable b+b so we can come down more often, and not have to suffer the deprivations of Bisley camp accomodation anymore.

The last time i stopped in the L+M house at the side...i awoke to see Basil the rat sat there, on the floor, having a wash.......

Never again. :lol:

Need to get sorted with a reasonable b+b so we can come down more often, and not have to suffer the deprivations of Bisley camp accomodation anymore.

Dave,

There are Travelodges near to Bisley at Woking and Frimley. Slightly further afield (but not by much) are ones at Woodbridge (just North of Guildford) and Camberley. Hope this helps,

Alan

Pete and I should be coming down Mark. I will be sorting it with him this friday hopefully. The only reason i haven't entered any of the early season matches is that we have just moved house , and she would have cut my spuds off. :lol:

Good lads,

Award yourselves extra bonus points, unlike the rest of these scaredy cats <snigger>

• 2 weeks later...

Well so far none of you from this forum have entered, especially you Brown Dog......

I would've expected more from you, especially as your old mucker Strangely has entered ( even though old Shakey has just undergone a major spinal operation and could do with some assistance) and thought (wrongly) that you might want to help out this old Great War veteran!

As for the rest of you, there's now 40 or so entries and even the women who've entered are more man than all of UKV put together.

They'd rather get out and get muddy and cold rather than sit in and rub their Duracoated stocks and tell their mates about their fluting or what super duper calibre to go for next.....

Bradders is neither disappointed nor surprised.

Archived