Left Hand Rifles

Continuing on another post of mine about us lefties... I've never had such a pool of left handed shooters as what I've found here, nor have I heard so much about left handed rifles. I own two bolt guns, an old Remington model 512 22lr that I've owned since I was nine years old (I'm 40 now). It's the gun I learned to shoot with. I also own a Winchester Model 70(pre 1964 bolt design) in 243 Win.(worth a thousand Remington 700's). Both are standard "right hand" rifles. I shoot them left handed unless I'm working on my weak hand technique. Using the word "technique" is being generous. I've tried using left hand bolt guns and find them to be singularly monstrous with no redeeming quality to my left hand. I cannot use them quickly at all, nothing is where it should be. All of my AR15's are also standard right hand models. I've shot some left hand AR's and find them to be equally horrible.

I'm interested in hearing from all the other lefties out there; Are left hand guns easier for you to shoot and operate? Are there others like me who just can't master them? I'm interested in hearing what advantages you've found in the lefty guns. For years now I've thought that I must be missing something and that if I could "get it" I would become a better all around shooter by using the lefty rifle.

I am left-handed but shoot rifles with right-hand bolt. I would never buy a left-handed rifle. there harder to sell on if you want rid of it.

I also find it easier to shoot a right-handed rifle when foxing.

its easy to reload with out taking your face off the stock when the rifle is resting on the bipod. I have shot a friends annie 22lr with lefthand bolt and I found it weird to use.

I'm a lefty also and I've shot right handed rifles from my left shoulder all my life, it's something I've just got used to. I normally use a padded cheek piece on the stock which helps a lot.

If I could ever have a custom rifle built I would definatley have it made true left handed with a left bolt and left port.

In the past I've had a couple of left handed air rifles which 22/250 foxer mentioned and I had to let go for sod all simply because there is a very small market for lefties.

Iv'e recently been thinking of buying a Savage .17hmr in left hand but may change my mind and buy a ambidexterious stocked gun simply because it will be easier to sell.

One great advantage of being left handed is it's much easier to shoot out of the land rover window from the drivers side :)

Andy

I'm left handed and, when i started shooting rifles, was (still am!!) appalled (sp?) to find so few left hand models out there ansd the fact that we have to usually pay a premium to own a left handed rifle...Since then I have managed to have 4 true left handed rifles and I also own another 3 right handed. It is true, the right handed rifles may be easier to shift (but I never sell my guns) and to shoot off a bench. However, in hunting applications when I had to pump 3-4 shots in succession I found the left hand action a true bonus and much easier to do with the left hand rifle than with the right hand. In semiautomatic shotguns (I have an AL391) I find that occasionally I get debri thrown in my face at the cartridge ejection and, had Berretta be making a left hand semi, I would definitely be buying it...I also find that, even when I might want to buy a right hand rifle, I cannot find it with an ambidextrous stock, which eliminates it from the equation immediately.

Left handers are more numerous than the manufacturers would like to believe and if we stick to our 'handedness' we should be able to shift the market to offer products for us. When right handers occassionaly shoot my rifles, they comment that 'it feels odd...'. I always retort 'welcome to my world...!'.

best wishes,

Finman

I'm left handed and all my rifles are left handed bolt. Any lefties shooting right handed are surely making life difficult for themselves? Ask yourself this - if shooting an opposite handed gun is so good how come you don't see right handed people shooting left handed guns? Shooting a right handed gun prone is not too bad but even then I have to let go of the rear bag to cycle the bolt, something I don't need to do when i'm shooting my own l/h rifles. Standing shots are terrible, let go of the forend to cycle the bolt - loose the sight picture in the process, waste time reaquiring the target - no thanks. Sure some lefties shoot right handed guns very well but I suspect they have conditioned themselves to do so and that now feels natural to them, either that or they have a dominant right eye......

There are definately more lefties out there which is evident by the number of lefties on the forum. I've forgoten exactly what proprotion of the population is left handed but I think its around 10%. Carry that through to the shooters and you can see that gun makers only making righ handers are missing out on a potential 10% of customers.

I'm left handed and all my rifles are left handed bolt. Any lefties shooting right handed are surely making life difficult for themselves? Ask yourself this - if shooting an opposite handed gun is so good how come you don't see right handed people shooting left handed guns? Shooting a right handed gun prone is not too bad but even then I have to let go of the rear bag to cycle the bolt, something I don't need to do when i'm shooting my own l/h rifles. Standing shots are terrible, let go of the forend to cycle the bolt - loose the sight picture in the process, waste time reaquiring the target - no thanks. Sure some lefties shoot right handed guns very well but I suspect they have conditioned themselves to do so and that now feels natural to them, either that or they have a dominant right eye......

There are definately more lefties out there which is evident by the number of lefties on the forum. I've forgoten exactly what proprotion of the population is left handed but I think its around 10%. Carry that through to the shooters and you can see that gun makers only making righ handers are missing out on a potential 10% of customers.

Could not agree more.

I am a leftie and cannot imagine wanting to shoot a right handed gun. I have 4 bolt guns,1 Tikka, 2 Rem and a Borden.

Nick

This thread is begining to sound like all us lefties are "coming out"...... be proud to be a lefty :lol:

I am a lefty and can't really make up my mind whether that has saved me money or cost me money over the years!!The only right handed bolt guns I own are a 338 lap and a 300 winmag as I will never shoot them from anything other than prone or off a bench.

• 8 years later...

Dont know if this topic is still current but.......

I'm right handed but my left eye is dominant so as a youth I was taught to shoot left handed but with a right handed rifle. I never had a problem reaching over to work the bolt and reload.

I've very recently gone back to shooting and I'm amazed at how the sport has evolved. No more two point slings, shooting jackets,  and having to wear a glove. Bizarre to say the least.

I've been talked into using the clubs lefthanded rifle and I'm slowly getting to grips with it. I bought a left handed jacket and glove so I'll have to stick with it but boy is it difficult to find my own rifle

I am also left handed,

As left handed people we all have to adapt, literally from birth. 

I shoot left handed, play golf/cricket right handed, pistol/ racquet sports i am completely ambidextrous. I am returning to shooting after a few years away and at present have no rifles.

Last time i always bought right handed rifles, mainly for the easier selling potential, other than military rifles Enfields/mausers etc where there was no choice. I never had any problems shooting right handed rifles, even in military rifle comps where some details were timed'

This time i am intending to buy full left handed where possible, although i have never ever shot a left handed rifle, obviously Enfields/mausers etc been the exception. I am not anticipating any serious issues, i will just get used to it.

I have found that the shooting sports contain more lefties than i have come across in any other sport.

Looking forward to been able to buy some new kit.

Regards

Jma

I've always shot left handed except a brief stint with the L85 and L86 and have always tried to own a left handed version of what I want to shoot.

I hunt with a LH Sako and Rem700 and have LH auto shotgun and Ruger Scout. Otherwise I use lever actions and AR style rifles which don't really make a difference which hand they are used from.

I do own a couple of Enfields, (a Rifle,No1 and Rifle,No2) which I shoot LH and have to operate the bolt by leaning over the receiver with the left hand (the right often being 'slung in'). This works but is not the best way, when I had a No4 I found if I wasn't careful I would add a touch of wind as I operated the bolt.

The only time I have found shoot a RH rifle beneficial was when the rifle was rested and I didn't have to use the right hand to hold the weight of the rifle (ie not making the left hand do all the carrying when the right is operating the bolt).
When I see shooters trying this the muzzle often waves all over the place, a loaded round is going in the chamber and the finger is near the trigger.

Hi all lefties 

l am a lefty shooting 2 anschutz rifles in 22, and 17 hmr both rimfire s are left hand stock with RH BOLT , shooting standing with light rifles is ok and most of my shooting is off primos sticks . For the big 308 I have accuracy international AT model with RHbolt all shooting is bipod or pig saddle and tripod based but bolt does allow quick reloads when doing the club shoot which is timed 2 shots on limited see target which comes in handy . AI do full left hand models via sporting services but I didn’t want to wait so got the RH type and loved it . Cheers 

• 2 weeks later...

Im a left handed shooter as well! (Except for the SA80 in the forces where you are all right handed!). Ive never shot a true left handed gun. Im pretty comfortable shooting right handed guns from the left shoulder. When shooting a modern rife  from a bag or bipod i really like having my left trigger hand always on the grip as its stronger and can keep better control of the rifle while operating the bolt with my right. When taking a shot my right hand is tucked under and helps to pull the stock into my shoulder and keep the rifle steady. 

However im also quite keen on my ww2 rifles! In our club we shoot a lot of courses of fire and many of those involve shooting standing, kneeling and sitting unsupported. This is ok when shooting but can be a bit awkward operating the bolt/reloading. Because the guns tend to be fairly long and heavy its difficult to keep proper and safe control using only my left hand which ofcourse is holding the pistol grip/ rear grip  area of the stock. What i tend to do is take the rifle out of my shoulder so i can grip it between my left arm and body while holding it with left hand (if you can imagine what that looks like). This gives me a decent grip of the whole thing while my right hand then operates the bolt/reloads. Then back upto my shoulder for a follow up shot etc. It takes more time overall.

cheers.