Federal primers

Toots

The instructions that come with the lee auto primer advises against using federal primers as they can go bang. Thing is I just bought a load without really thinking :lol: .Is this the folks at lee being over cautious or should I take 'em back to the shop and get something else? (using h335, 55gr vmax and lapua brass .223, 1in9 twist).

As always buddy when reloading be carefull!!

When i seat my federal primers in my lee-autoprimer i wear my clear lensed safety glasses just to be on the safe side , never had a problem in 8 years of reloading federal primers :lol::D

All the very best............

RAY.........................................

Federal primers are like rocking horse crap.We have had the gold medal match large primers on back order for over 6 months, and there,s no light at the end of the tunnel.Someone decided to tell the yanks there was gonna be a supply problem due to the war, and hey presto, they did their usual greedy trick, and went and emptied the shops.........hey presto, no exports.

He he he

glad I caled in at York Guns last week and picked up a couple of thousand of the little gems ;)

Guest varmartin

Toots....don't use them mate , they go bang and are the most consistent for this you could have got ;):D

I will do you a favor and purchase the lot off you :D;)

Martin

I use Federal small pistol primers in my Hornet and load them with the Lee Auto Prime. Never a problem.

About 15 years ago there as a primer shortage looming so I bought 10K Reminton 9 1/2 Lg Rifle and 10K 6 1/2 small rifle. The 9 1/2 are my favorite Large Rifle primer but the 6 1/2's were just an impulse buy at the time. I still have all of these sealed against hard times -which haven't seemed to arrive yet: Primer stocks here are still up.

For what it's worth, I have found little difference between CCI and Federal primers. I suspect they are actually produced at the same plant... much like the 22WMR and 17 HMR ammunition. I can't imagine what it's like to be reloading so far from the component source. Wish I could help you guys out. ~Andrew

Guest varmartin

Stag...

the difference certainly showed up in those two groups. Though I would not wright the BR"`s off as inaccurate.

They are different for sure, but a little load development will work wonders as you know anyway.

I use both primers, and find them equally accurate in my .223 sako 75 VLS and my custom 6mmBR.

Martin

I used to use CCI BR primers in a 270 and later in my 25-06 (which shot in the .3"'s with them), they performed very well, I only changed to Fed 210's because they were available from my supplier when he couldn't get CCI BR primers and I needed an alternative - i've stuck with them since.

Of course being a fashion victim, now they come in smart gold packaging, I just "have" to have them. ;);):D

Hi Guys.

I am not denegrating the BR2 primer just showing that there is a difference, all other things being equal.

You can only conduct an analysis by changing ONE ingredient at a time.

`baldi` has a one hole load for the .243 using the BR2 but he uses the Varget powder instead, I have none currently but am getting excellent results with the Vit.N140 so I see no point in changing. I never believe in change unless there is a material benefit. [Or supplies of ingredients dry up.]

Went out today with the RAV 4 and rifle but only got two shots, zapped both cleanly but damage with the Bergers is minimal when compared with the V.Max.

I have some G&C 68 grainers from `baldi` which are shooting well on the target but as yet I have not tried them on the vermin.

HWH.

Archived