Ray Vin and Ewing Scope Stands - an alternative for use on rough ground

Wildy impressed by the Ray Vin and Ewing Spotting tactical scope stands (see http://www.ray-vin.com/frstands.htm ) when I've had the chance to use them; but they're a little chocolate fireguardish on uneven or broken terrain.

Imagine my joy when given a chance to use this tripod - it enables the same brilliant & instantly accessible spotting scope head position as the Ray Vin and Ewing products - but can also take account of uneven terrain. It will also adjust up to a high sitting position.

The ball head is smooth and doesn't move off target when tightened; it holds the scope as steadily in wind as a full size tripod (well, it did today!)

It's also tiny when fully stowed...and it's light.

uneventripod2.jpg

tripod.jpg

..it's the Slik Sprint Mini II GM Tripod and can be got for under 60 quid.

MMMagpie alley :)

Ive had a Slik tripod for years, they work very well, this newer model looks just the part for spotting scopes, - what does it weigh Matt?

MMMagpie alley :D

I've no idea what you mean :)

Ive had a Slik tripod for years, they work very well, this newer model looks just the part for spotting scopes, - what does it weigh Matt?

1.6 lbs. / 740 grams

Matt,

I'm just going thru' the process of finding a spotter stand so this is most interesting. Did this set up show any 'wobble' in the wind on Friday at full magninifaction - wondering if it will work with 60x :)

T

Link to reliable camera gear source for ref. : http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-slik-s...tripod/p1519850

Yes, a tiny amount of wobble - but only to the same degree as my full-size posh swarovski/manfrotto tripod that weighs 8lbs (like this one http://www.optics4birding.com/swarovski-tripod-1.html ...which is now for sale :) )

I don't think anything sensibly packable is going to be totally wobble-free in wind. I really think this was a 'eureka' moment for a ray-vin alternative. Ordered mine last night!

Try it when we next RV - I'm conscious that your zeiss will be a fair bit heavier than the leup.

BD,

Good point re. weight Lupy = just over 1 kg, Zeiss =1.8kg. But it is rated for 2.2 kg by Slik on full hieght so low down as planned should work.

I'll try yours during RV - (while you're trying a real rifle :) )

T

Just been out and about having a play with the new tripod.

Spotting pheasants:

P1010118crop.jpg

Stability:

Wind today was a gusty 15mph, able to read range signs at 1.8km (lettering about 3-4 in high).

Most upright was, unsurprisingly, least good – I struggled to read the signs due to wobble (the signs are the white dots on the far hedge, they’re about torso size).

P1010106crop.jpg

The ‘slightly splayed’ position was a vast improvement; putting one hand on one tripod leg added enough weight to steady the thing to make reading easy.

The ‘through the lens picture doesn’t do it justice –the sign was easily readable.

P1010107crop.jpg

P1010109crop.jpg

Fully prone it matches the stability of any tripod I’ve used less for a director/theodolite tripod:

P1010111crop.jpgP1010112crop.jpg

Looks good matt...is there anyway of hanging a weight from underneath ? and what spray paint did you use..

There's a plastic plug under the centre to seal off where the centre column unthreads (I've removed the centre column) I think you could put a hook in it; I'm happy 'as is'. The paint is the stuff in all the nutter shops as 'sniper paint'; about £3.50, very matte.

Cheers for the update, think I'll order one for the Zeiss.

Like the 'sandbox' spray job - very HSLD :ph34r::lol:

Sandbox? That's my HSLD Wiltshire look :lol:

By the way, I think you may have been seen off on that Zeiss, they have them here for 80 quid:

yukon.jpg

Gents,

After Matts report and needing a tripod I obtained said Slik and gave it a whirl with a slightly heavier spotter (approx 1.8kg.) So long as you're only using it prone this little tripod works well:

DSC00136.jpg

As you can adjust everything separatly you can get 'snuggled up' to the scope with no problems:

DSC00137.jpg

Even blustery winds only gave a bit of shake on high magnification.

Just need to apply the HSLD paint job :ph34r:

Terry

Hi Terry,

can we have a review of the Zeiss please.

Reading between the lines a bit on yours and BDs reports I get the idea the tripods do a good job in prone position, but the higher you go the more naff it gets.Do you think a carbon tripod Manfrotto 190 class or better yet Gittzo would help? I know the Manfrotto 055s work for stability but are not field portable.

David.

Archived