Use your loaf !

baldie

The past week has been a very bad one for a lot of people in Cumbria. The world,s press is watching all things shooting like a hawk. Any drivel, or posts describing "smashing " animals etc will be removed, along with the poster. No second chances. Our sport and for some of us, our livelyhoods are at risk here, and will NOT be besmirched by illfounded comments.

My sentiments entirely Dave.

I would just like to add the perpetrator did have the decency to remove the video ( not sure if it's still on You Tube ) and did apologise to me privately saying that this is what happens when animals get shot, as if I didn't know ! But as I say he did at least apologise.

Well said Dave, and just to add the same will be impletemented at "uklongrange.com" as well. (Hope you didn't mind just adding that Admin) Some off us on here work in the industry and we would like to keep our jobs. At this moment in time there is no need to advertise the killing side of shooting overtly. Some members want to be wary off thier user names as well, not naming anybody but i am sure you know who i am referring too. Any way enjoy the great sport of shooting , while we can.

Tough times ahead, me thinks.

Baldie,

Might I suggest that it is a very fine line that you're trying to draw and I for one do no envy you in that responsibility, as much as I do wish you luck and success in that endeavour. You're faced with a dilemma with no easy answer. On the one hand you don't want to portray shooters in a negative light but on the other you don't want to be living a lie either. Let me try to explain:

When all is said and done, this is a varminting site first and foremost, which means that at the point that you release a shot your intention is very clear; you intend to kill something. This is where it gets tricky, but there is little point in trying to hide or disguise this fact, it is what it is. It is the "sticking point" with the public; whilst most seem blissfully unperturbed by the fact that something had to die to allow them to consume their Zinger Tower Burger, oddly enough they do take issue with someone killing something other than that which might end up on their plate, and indeed may have consumed their chicken instead.

The key point to remember here is of course that this is not some random, mindless act of violence, but a carefully calculated act with a clear objective: to permanently prevent something from causing harm to something else which is perceived as being more important. A dead fox doesn't kill chickens, period. It also doesn't attack babies either. A dead rabbit doesn't cause so much damage to a field that it needs re-drilling to get any sensible yield of crop, or dig holes that cause injuries to horses. A dead crow doesn't attack lambs. The list goes on, and the bona fide members of the site will be only too aware of the all important why.

So just where does one draw the line ? Is it wrong for bona fide members to discuss differing techniques, results, observations openly without resulting to euphemisms ? How does one go about discussing the terminal ballistics of different bullet designs without being relatively graphic in description ? Those are rhetorical questions but food for thought.

Whilst I would certainly agree that there is a case for not glorifying the act, being far more descriptive than necessary to convey a point etc there should be some scope to convey important concepts which may require descriptions that may appear to be gratuitous to the layperson reading the post. Imagine, for a moment if you will, discussing the terminal ballistics of a 40gn varmint bullet on something like a pigeon.... are we really saying that we shouldn't be any more descriptive than "it worked" ?

There does have to be a line between acceptable and unacceptable, but I would caution against drawing it too far to the side of "political correctness", doing so and bowing to political pressure only comes across as bowing your head in shame, like you're doing something wrong when that clearly isn't the case. Whilst you're quite right that brain does need to be engaged before posting, let us not forget what we are discussing, or indeed try to hide or disguise it either.... it is after all a lawful activity with the intention of protecting something!

Cheers,

Pat.

Any drivel, or posts describing "smashing " animals etc will be removed, along with the poster. No second chances. Our sport and for some of us, our livelyhoods are at risk here, and will NOT be besmirched by illfounded comments.

I think Dave is correct on his line to be honest, we know what a well placed bullet will do to the thing your hitting. All Dave is asking for is a little bit of common sence applied by members when they post in the forum's. We are being watched with out doubt, and i am more than sure we will get quoted if we dont watch ourselves. As for drawing a line, thats not an easy one, but i am sure that all posts will be examined by all unsundry.

I think the point is, that Baldie is making, we need to be a tad sensitive especially at the moment.

I know for certain that the media, and those opposed to what we do, do trawl shooting forums, indeed I have been misquoted and quoted out of context in the media on something I had posted on a forum ( pigeon watch)

Yes we cull animals to protect crops, live stock, human food, human health etc - as set down in the Open General License and Codes of Practice, and we do it with the intention of a clean kill. Yes we should swap ideas and experiences - that’s what forums are for, among other things, but we should also use language that reflects the responsible members of the community we are.

However, I also agree that we must not get caught up being too PC! As you says its a tough line to judge, but each of us must play our part

David

Thanks for your very reasoned reply Pat.

If only all posts were as well thought out, and written, then the original post would not have had to go up.

It was there as a stark warning to the membership what would happen if we saw any more posts of the like, posted by the now banned "hitmanandson" Whilst the guy may have been a very seasoned pest controller, his descriptive methods were crude and gratuitous. His description of "smashing" foxes boiled my tiddle to be honest, and i,ve seen and heard his type many times before, its not big, and its not clever. Its also a stick we would have been beaten with. I,ve killed more foxes than most would in 5 lifetimes, i was a hunt servant, and shot them proffessionally for a while. I never intentionally made one suffer, nor direspected them either in word, or deed...its not the way a responsible shooter should be. Its not something i,m proud of, and not something to brag disrespectfully about either.

We have argued the semantics of varminting many times on here, and i think as a whole, the membership are respectful of their quarry, and respectful of the way they portray our sport in print. Long may that continue. The idiots will be rapidly removed.

More importantly, and especially at this time, shooting, and peoples conduct on the forums has to be beyond reproach.

Having managed to get misplaced in Cumbria for some time now I'm pleased to say that there is a reasoned calm at the momment, and I can only hope that sense prevails.....

Having managed to get misplaced in Cumbria for some time now I'm pleased to say that there is a reasoned calm at the momment, and I can only hope that sense prevails.....

That's good news thoughts and prayers with what must be a devastated community.

And my heartfelt agreement with the original post.

Archived