F Class Options (what for medium range)

I currently run a 7mm/270 WSM

It does well (when I do my bit) and I like the cartridge, although it is a barrel burner.

I missed the first round of the UK league at Diggle (500 / 600 yds) due to work commitments, however, had I entered, I wonder if the benefits of the 7 /270 would be wasted at short (ish) distances.

So I now consider options for any forthcoming shorter distance legs;

My action is a Barnard P, I currently have magnum bolt, but additional bolts are available in other bolt face sizes.

Its cheaper to replace a bolt and barrel than it is to replace the whole rifle. (600 as opposed to 4k when I add a scope)

So, decision made, obtain a replacement bolt for the Barnard, with a .473" bolt face.

So now which calibre?

6mm?

6.5mm?

7mm?

I have 6mm BR, 243 AI, 6.5x47 (x2), 260Rem , 260Rem AI, 6.5x284, 7mm-08 reamers to choose from, or I can spec another reamer without too much hardship.

The above are options, but I really want to retain the benefits of 7mm (ie high BC bullet availability and use 180g Bergers, soooooo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I was thinking straight .284 Win or .284 Shehane (both with fitted nk), which have the pluses of 7mm without the barrel buring tendancies of the WSM's

Thoughts anyone?

I missed the first round of the UK league at Diggle (500 / 600 yds) due to work commitments, however, had I entered, I wonder if the benefits of the 7 /270 would be wasted at short (ish) distances.

Thoughts anyone?

Absolutley not, when I got to Diggle I was wishing I had brought my 6BR as well as my 7WSM, when I left I was mighty relieved that I didn't.

How about something that uses the 115 Bergers or DTacs in 6mm, a pretty good BC and when pushed can exceed 3100 fps+

As soon as my 6BR is burnt out I'm going to be considering one these two

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/0...nd-6mm-super-x/

You've pretty much summarised the issues Andy.

As it's no further than 600, I'd go the 6.5 x47 Lap route. You have excellent Lapua brass available off the shelf and the 123/130 6.5 is certainly an efficient bullet. Seems no point hammering yourself with more recoil than is necessary.

Chris-NZ

Hi Andy, I've been running a 6mmHot for short range F class comps and am in my second season with her.

She is phenominal in still conditions and I have shot some excellent scores with her.

Recoil is light and barrel life looks good. I have 1000 rounds through her with no adverse problems after checking the bore with a friends scope.

The one problem on a windy day it simply can't hack the pace with the big boys and I have lost places to 300WSM's and 7mm's.

This year I have opted for a straight .284 which I will use at all distances. Initial tests with Reloader17 and 175 SMK's seem excellent.

Sadly my Bartlein barrel seems not to fancy 180 Berger(probably hates the price :blink: ) even though low ES groups of over an inch :(

Add a 175 SMK with the same charge, you get the same low ES and one hole groups go figure!

I'm quite happy really as 175 SMK's are only £27 per hundred.

Barrel life looks good in this caliber hopefully 2000rnds+.

Have fun choosing.

Dave

Chris, Ian, Dave :blink: ,

thanks, understand where your coming from

I'm speculating on calibre for wind drift alone.

Having spent a couple of hours (since posting) scrolling through 6mmBR, I find I am drawn to the straight 284 Win and 180 Bergers.

If the figures are to be believed then this will give less deflection at 600 than the 6mm XC (or 243 AI) using 115 DTAC;s and better the 6.5 x47 and 6.5x284 using 123 and 142 grainers respectively.

The plus is I can use necked up 6.5x284 brass (so I have Lapua quality), I can use H4831SC or RL 17 and make 2950 fps easily and have reasonable barrel life, allowing me to practise more with the rifle and retain the use of the Bergers.

Recoil, its a heavy rifle anyway (just sub 22lbs), so not really a problem.

Dave on the subject of the 180's, I had similar issues initially with the 7mm/270WSM, then I took another .001" off the neck so I have .004" overall clearance - made a difference, also halps to experiment with neck tension - currently using a .306 bushing (from 308. 307) , but have just got a 305 to try..... groups are shrinking - currently circa .3" with the 7mm/270.

Still open to discussion and apreciate anyones input / thoughts...

Thanks Andy I'm running around 3 thou clearance now, so may need a bit more.

I know the Americans have had accuracy issues with over tight chambers.

The reamer Neil used for me was a .315 neck my loaded rounds running around .3115

I needed just a light clean up off the neck to acheive this.

My thoughts are it seems to shoot so well with the 175 SMK's do I really want to waste barrel life trying to get a bullet to shoot.

It will have its baptism of fire at our next club shoot, I will report back.

By the way are you going to the Bisley league shoot?

Cheers

Dave

Bisley - yes all being well.

The WSM reamer is .312 nk, my cases are .308" loaded - .012" neck wall thickness.

Ronin,

A good big 'un always beats a good little 'un - as we say at Diggle.

We call 500/600 yards 'short range' but it isn't really. Stick with the 7mmWSM - there is only one short range shoot anyway.

I'm currently shooting a 6-284 with 115 DTACs and a 243AI with the same bullet in 1000 yd benchrest - but benchrest isn't F Class.

In benchrest, we need to get five shots down in 15 seconds so the lighter recoil is beneficial in getting back on target.

Cheers

Vince

Hi Vince

thanks, "always better with a good big un", your probably right.

So i'll stick with the 7mm, but, as I have a couple of Broughtons 5r's on the way, I think I will chamber one in 284 Win and see how that does.

It will certainly be easier on barrells and allow me to practice more with the rifle rather than the current situation, where I only use it in comps and pre season zeroing - the barrel is on its second year and I know that with 500 rounds through it, there is only the same again before its toasty.

It doesn't look too bad in the borescope, - especially as ive compared it to another WSM I have here that has had 1200 through it (the throat is far more eroded and bore firecracked than the Barnards barrel), but I would prefer it lasted this season without having to change it midway.

Dave

thans for the offer, as always very decent of you.

Is the 284 standard nk?

Ronin , I would agree with Vince as i shoot a 6-284mm which i had built for short range F Class and it pushes the 115g D-Tac's at 3,275 ft/sec and on a still day i would put it against any gun but the moment the wind picks up and you have a three inch 'V' at 600 then accurate 7's will win !

Regards

OSOK

Hi Vince

thanks, "always better with a good big un", your probably right.

So i'll stick with the 7mm, but, as I have a couple of Broughtons 5r's on the way, I think I will chamber one in 284 Win and see how that does.

It will certainly be easier on barrells and allow me to practice more with the rifle rather than the current situation, where I only use it in comps and pre season zeroing - the barrel is on its second year and I know that with 500 rounds through it, there is only the same again before its toasty.

It doesn't look too bad in the borescope, - especially as ive compared it to another WSM I have here that has had 1200 through it (the throat is far more eroded and bore firecracked than the Barnards barrel), but I would prefer it lasted this season without having to change it midway.

Dave

thans for the offer, as always very decent of you.

Is the 284 standard nk?

Yep, standard neck. i have the print for it too.

Ok mate thanks.

I am on with sourcing an additional bolt in .473"

Cost is surprisingly modest..

I may however go with a fitted neck .284 (.312") throated specifically for the 180's.

(which of course will be available for your use too)

On the subject of Barnyards and moving away from F Class momentarily,,,,,,,,,,,,, I am also speccing a reamer for a "large thing" of you get my drift (or lack of it,,,,,,,,) :o

Ok mate thanks.

I am on with sourcing an additional bolt in .473"

Cost is surprisingly modest..

I may however go with a fitted neck .284 (.312") throated specifically for the 180's.

(which of course will be available for your use too)

On the subject of Barnyards and moving away from F Class momentarily,,,,,,,,,,,,, I am also speccing a reamer for a "large thing" of you get my drift (or lack of it,,,,,,,,) ;)

:wacko: not listening, not listening, not listening, not listening.........bugger... :D

Chris,

nope, bigger ;)

Baldie

yep, you know where I am going with this.

:wacko:

:wacko: not listening, not listening, not listening, not listening.........bugger... ;)

Oh i'm listening, trying to source parts and get ideas for my own.

Dave

you know where this is going....

Sean

speak to you Sat... :wacko:

Hey, I recognise that room,,,,Prague....

Take .125" off your big boy and your on the right track.

Still, "in the air" but had an interesting chat with someone recently that may allow my idea to be born...

Archived