Donor Action

Mossy-dog

I am looking to change my stalking rifle from a .243 to a 6.5x55 and have been looking at the different offerings out there.

I have noticed that the prices have really gone up recently (as well as the 6.5 being restriced to certain makes) and that a new T3 will run in the region of £700 bare

I was wondering what actions will fit the 6.5x55 for a rebarrel because i thought i could pick up an old shot out rifle (not sure what make) and re barrel for a similar price to a new T3

Also, do actions wear out like barrels?

How much would you expect to pay for a donor action?

Is this someting that will work?

Dan

To go from a .243 to a 6.5x55 you would need a different bolt as the case head diameters on the .243 and 6.5x55 are different.

As you have already sussed better to get a good second hand rifle.

Cheers

Dave

Actions rarely wear out.

There are PH, BSA and Mauser actions still going strong that are 50 + years old.

Ive just rebarreled a lovely Mauser Oberndorf in 7x57, its returning 1/2 moa with homeloads.

Unless the lugs are badly galled most actions would be ok, however one thing to look for if youre considering a Rem 700 is the bolt handle / action interface (the angled ramp) - rough use or heavy loadings will put dents in each surface.....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 6.5x55mm a long action round? It'd seem the .243 action wouldn't be long enough. If a re-barrel were an option/desire and you wanted to keep the action, I'd think a 6.5x47 would be pretty close to the 6.5 Swede ballistically speaking (at least for the 120-140gr rounds)...

Sorry, dont think ive been very clear!

I have a Sauer 202 in .243 that im going to sell and then look to get a 6.5x55 (long action vs short etc)

I know i could swap the bolt and barrel on the sauer but i fancy a change and it will be easier to sell the full rifle than just the parts then find parts again

I was thinking about getting a cheap shot out rifle (older tikka, sako etc not sure a reminton would fit 6.5x55?) and then getting it re barreled but the costs are about the same so going to try and find a good second hand sako 75

Dan

Yup, the 7-08 is a -major- step up from a 6mm on deer.

Was reminded of that recently when I shot a red spiker right on the point of the shoulder at about 40yds with the 6mm Rem I'd built for my little nephew. I just -know- my 7-08 would have levelled it on the spot but this thing ran about 50yds and hid in a small stand of scrub before tipping over. Cost me 40mins of wasted time finding it.

Chris-NZ

Going to 6.5x55 from the .243 because i want a bigger round than the .243 for shooting Roe, Fallow, Munties and maybe the occasional red without getting something too big.

Dont want to destroy the smaller deer but also want a soft shooting round as i can really be arsed with firing cannons!

I have a .22-250 for everything else which i might re barrel to 6br or similar once shot out.

I have alowance for a 30-06 on my ticket so if one day i move somewhere there is pigs and / or regular big reds then i can get one of them.

Did consider a .308 but reckon the 6.5 sits nicely for what i need

Dan

Well the 7-08 fills the ticket perfectly. There's no red that will stand a hit from one with say a 140 Accubond, yet you could choose a lighter 120gr loading if you're shooting toy deer and don't want recoil. It's a very efficient cartridge and has the inherent accuracy of its parent.

You'd simply put a new barrel into your existing rifle as the boltface is the same as the .243, not so with the Swede. And you'd still have the .243 barrel for use at any time.

I'd suggest stick with the .243 or go straight to the 7-08. Can't see any need for a .30-06 in the UK, not unless there are a few wapiti lurking about I'm unaware of.

Chris-NZ

Dont want to destroy the smaller deer but also want a soft shooting round as i can really be arsed with firing cannons!

You've got the wrong end of the stick, the 7-08 is just right. + you don't need a long action or different bolt face, I'm sure the swede has some applications, but it appears to be harder to cater for.

The bolt face does not need to be modified, i built Northernchris's 6.5x55 on a used .270 Sako 75 and it functioned flawlessly.

Ian.

Ian is quite correct on that. Off the top of my head, there is only 0.006" difference between the two bolt faces, thats just 0.003" per side.Most actions have this extra anyway . In reality, those sort of tolerances exist on a custom action, never mind a mass produced one.

Thing is that i can easy get a 6.5x55 on a factory rifle either a Tikka T3 or a second hand Sako 75 with my budget.

The 6.5 seems a good cal for this country as an all round deer gun and easy enough to get factory rounds if needed

What factory rifles are about in 7-08?

edit - just seen that the T3 comes in 7-08 so could be a consideration with 130gn bullets

Dan

Ian is quite correct on that. Off the top of my head, there is only 0.006" difference between the two bolt faces, thats just 0.003" per side.Most actions have this extra anyway . In reality, those sort of tolerances exist on a custom action, never mind a mass produced one.

Baldie,

Maybe years ago you may have got a dedicated swede boltface on your rifle but these days with everything controlled by the bean counters and money men it would be a false economy to produce a dedicated boltface diametre, much cheaper to increase the tolerence a bit and make them a universal fit.

Ian.

What factory rifles are about in 7-08?

Dan

Dunno about the UK but the relevant question here is: "What rifles aren't available in 7-08?"

It's the biggest selling deer cal in NZ

ChrisNZ

Archived