Do all - what cartridge?

Ronin

Interesting to see the division bettween 6 and 6.5mm.

Also so many rate the 6.5x47 and 260 which appear to tick the boxes - especialy as the frangible bullets and "controlled expansion" deer bullets are similar weight. - unlike the division in 6mm availability (58g - 100g)

This may solve the throating issue.

Laurie

as ever, you added something I hadn't considered 6mm-47.

I am unsure as to how advanced the re-loader is, this may be worthy of consideration.

204?

well the chap already uses 223 for the vermin on the ground and one of the issues with this is, "they get blown about too much", hence the heavier / higher BC bullet / cartridge considerations and the reason I was contacted in the first place.

204 is not an option I think.

I am unsure of distances that deer will be taken, suggest and hope it would be alot closer than the vermin ranges advised.

Aggreed with all comments that the 6mm 's may be a bit lacking if the distances are extended.

30' cals are out.

Which brings me full circle back to 6.5mm and 260 / 6.5x47.

Having built several rifles in both and shot the 47 extensively (my own is on 3000+ rounds now and showing no signs of loss of accuracy), I think that these may be the two best compromise choices.

Both are relatively easy on barrels and have availble varmint frangible bullets and heavier soft points for larger deer.

I also think that the use of slightly heavier (6.5mm) bullets offer better wind bucking characteristics (although I am still running "tests" in Exbal with various ones using 10mph and 15 mph deflections)

Repeatable accuracy on a sporter.

Built several (mostly on blueprinted Rems or Surgeons) in 6.5x47 and also 260Rem (I am fortunate to have reamers in both) using medium weight barrels (.650 - .750" at the muzzle) that shoot sub half MOA repeatable, so again I dont think there is a need for F Class style weight.

I was thinking along the lines of an Mac M40 HTG stock with either mag system of BDL, using Rem footprint action and 24" medium weight barrel.

Should easily get the rifle to around 10lbs scoped I think, so quite portable.

I'll finish off, running the predictions on paper,

Anyone have any other ideas regarding whats available?

have a look at Manners , MCS-T & MCS-T3 , just like a McMillan HTG , but with a slightly higher comb that suits scope use more than the McM .

And you can get them lite weight 26 onches , as the MCS-UL , is basically a lite version of the MCS-T .

Later Chris

You've already mentioned the best one. 6mm Rem. Terry Cross would agree I'm sure ;)

Light bullets are no problem plus it handles the heavies better than a 243 will.

Spec a no turn .276 neck and off you go. No feeding issues, smooth recoil (not snappy at all) and a general pleasure to shoot.

Regards

Gareth

Well my choice would be the 6mm Hot aka 6-6.5x47. Primarily for varmints using the lighter bullets 75 v-max with the 95gr noslers for the reds.

As you know I've comisioned a 6mmbr for varmints, this is my ideal round for accuracy, barrel life and low recoil. However i've got my 7-08 for deer. So the hot will have to wait.

How about a switch barrel?

The 6.5x47, despite what folks say....doesn,t do the wide range of bullets, that the .260 will.

Its late, and i,m working from addled memory. The std .6.5x47 reamer, runs a .090 freebore, which is ideal for the 123 grain bullets. If you want to run 139/140,s you need the reamer which has .150" of freebore, or your gunsmith needs a throater in 6.5. A 1 in 8" twist is needed for the 140,s...and that is gonna be a little fast for the 90 grain bullets.

you are searching for the grail buddy, and you should know better. ;)

Personally, i would run a 1 in 8.5" border, chambered in .260 ackley. That would stabilise the 90 grain bullets for varmints, and the extra case cap would possibly enable the heavy 140,s to be shoved fast enough to stabilise.

Build a repeating 6mmbr, its not difficult. ;)

6.5x55 running 95gr V max. .250" 5 shot groups/100 yards 3050fps (not hot). Dropped a 120KG stag on monday on the spot and at 50 yards it never exited the head. Not yet tried on Varmints as its a deer rifle but im sure it wont explode them. It doesnt on Roe heads ;)

Ads

.. Dropped a 120KG stag .. on the spot .. it never exited the head. ..

Ads

Hell, my .223 could easily do that ;) ;)

It's the quartering shots that 'd be concerned about..

Chris-NZ

The concensus appears to be that the 6mm may be lacking for "do all ability"

The 6.5mm may be the better compromise before bullet weights increase beyond 140g, yet retain relatively light frangible ones at around 90g.

There appears to be supporters of 6.5x55's

Nice round yes, but not sure it hasn't been surpassed now and the odd sized bolt face would be a factor come re-barrel time.

260AI, hell Dave, I hadn't thought of that, I have a reamer for that too ;)

Round count will be less than standard 260 - not sure if thats a factor either.

Thanks for the help guys, much apreciated to get hands on from people with the calibres rather than pluck various cases out of reloading manuals on theoretical practicality.

Seems to me that the choices are now:

6mm Rem

6mm BR

6.5x47

260 Rem (or AI)

Whats the availabilty of 6mm Rem cases like by the way?

Easy. If you want standard win/ rem stuff then Hannams can get em in. Better though is to neck down 7x57 Norma cases through the full length die. Excellent long lasting brass. My 6mm rem ackley reamer is a no turn neck.

The ww brass would be the easiest bet and is now better quality than it used to be.

260AckleyNemesis.jpg

260 Ackley left, 6.5 Nemesis right - worth a look if your chap is willing to try something a bit different. Mine should be with me next week.

There was a post on here with a fair amount of detail but I can't find it.

Tony

Easy. If you want standard win/ rem stuff then Hannams can get em in. Better though is to neck down 7x57 Norma cases through the full length die. Excellent long lasting brass. My 6mm rem ackley reamer is a no turn neck.

The ww brass would be the easiest bet and is now better quality than it used to be.

The 6 rem lacks nothing in do all ability for the scenario you described. No deer is going to stand a 100gr partition at the velocities that can drive them at while with 87vs it will be severely toxic to all manner of vermins (moi dear).

G

Just regarding 6.5 x 55 and the odd sized bolt face(0.476")- Last time there was a post on here discussing that topic I did a little measuring and comparing on various rifles (around 20 different rifles).

Every rifle I measured, including Tikka's, Sako's, Remmy's, Kricos, Howa's, Sauer, Savage were chambered for 0.473" case head cartridges and every one measured large enough to take a 6.5 x 55 case head, a 6.5x55 Lapua case was then acquired and tried on all the bolts and as the measurements suggested every one acceplted the case without problem.

Some of the bolt faces measured in excess of .480".

Got to add though I did'nt have opportunity to measure any custom action bolts like Barnard, Surgeon or the like. If any of you have one I would be interested to know what the measurement was.

I'm considering a new rifle build myself, probably a 6.5 caliber, therefore the interest in that particular topic - I dont just wander around asking " Excuse me but lets have a quick measure of your bolt mate!!"

rgds

Archived