which .22/.17 for mixed target/varmint use?

I am looking to upgrade as fedup with my remmy. Had been looking at Sako quad as love my other sakos and thought it would be a good way of killing two birds etc. However having looked at one in the flesh I am not very impressed with the synthetic stock ( poor looking plastic quality and balence felt all wrong) and not sure that I would be bothered with the faf of changing barrels etc.

Looking around the shop found a nice looking anschults with a 14" barrel which appeared to be well made and would on the face of it appear a neat lttle gun for tight spaces.

So what is your experience/ recomendations? Is 14" too short so it will have a major impact on velocity? Are Anschults worth the money over a CZ?

I have both a short barreled .22 anshutz and also a 17 hmr sako quad now if i could combine the two and get an anshutz 17hmr carbine i would be more than happy

the sako is a little fussy on ammo but once you find what it likes in my case hornadys own you cant go wrong but the anshutz is a different beast altogether feeling like a proper rifle

I have a 17hmr which I use on a regular basis, in the past I have used my mates Anshuntz in !7HMR ,his has a short tube on it and I found it a great accurate gun when shooting from the truck,

I have found the biggest down side to the HMR is the continuity of the ammo , a subject which has been coverd on here a few times .

In the past we have had up to 320fps differenece in the same batch ,

Just going out in a minute to rty some new Hornady as Im off bunny bashing tonight as the butcher has called me needing a load.

I have toyed with the idea of building a very small centre fire for the bunnies as accuracy is more important to me , the price of hmr is just a little less than I can load for ,so its my time thats all its gonna cost.

ATB Andy

I would vote for the 22WMR in a CZ. I shoot a lot of rimfire varmint rifles; 17M2, 5mm Remington Magnum, 17HMR and 22WMR. The 22WMR has the most consistent ammo, the widest variety of cartridges and the accuracy is on par to any 17HMR.

For versatility it is hard to beat. The old 22 Winchester Rim Fire (22WRF) will shoot in a 22WMR with a 45 grain bullet at 1400 fps. On the other end of the spectrum you can shoot the Federal 30 grain "Classic" with it's roll plated lead HP at 2350 fps. This load will hollow out a rabbit like a canoe. CCI has a 30 grain V-Max out that is fast and accurate. Federal 40 grain FMJ or the identical CCI "TMJ" is very accurate and will drop a Montana coyote at 60-75 yards. In a few States here, the 22WMR is legal for woodland deer.

For several years I used my CZ for "antelope" ground squirrels along the Mexican border. These squirrels are about the size of a large salt shaker and often you just got the top part of the body to shoot at, bobbing above the alfalfa stubble. I killed hundreds of them with my Model 452. The CZ is an exceptionally accurate rifle. Additionally, if you get the "American" model you will have a rifle that carries and shoulders well. JMHO, of course. ~Andrew

This was 100 yards with my CZ. Iwas sitting on a folding chair with the rifle resting on a pad on top of a camera tripod. Note it's 10 shots...

Cottontail100yardTripodrestcz452jpg.jpg

I have a 17HMR Anschutz carbine with the thumbhole stock and I'd recommend it highly. It's very accurate and the rifle is a quality package. Having said that a pal has he Cz equivalent and on the basis of its performance it would be hard to justify the extra cost of the Anschutz.

The 22 WMR? I had one and sold it because it wouldn't group tighter than 2" at 100 yards whereas the 17HMR (Cz or Anschutz) will do half an inch in still wind. No competition IMHO.

Cornishman

Jan look no further than the Sako Finnfire.

Second hand prices are very high and for a good reason, no one wants to sell them as they are just too nice. It took me twenty or so years to see the light and everything that people had told me about them was correct. The thing that I notice most is although it's a rimfire the rifle feels like you are holding a center fire, why the bloody hell did Sako stop making them?

Expect to pay between £350 - £500

There is/was one for sale on the BBS a couple of days ago, I think it was the sporter model, but I personally would go with the Varmint for target/varmint use.

The 22 WMR? I had one and sold it because it wouldn't group tighter than 2" at 100 yards whereas the 17HMR (Cz or Anschutz) will do half an inch in still wind. No competition IMHO.

Cornishman

About the same opinion in NZ. Traditionally, .22 Magnums have been very finicky on ammo choice and many guns only achieve "working accuracy". There's a suggestion the projectile quality in the past has been an issue.

From what several dealer mates tell me, it's hard to find a .17 "Hummer" that doesn't shoot very well. Many are total tackdrivers, even some cheapies.

Chris-NZ

I used to have an Anshultz 1712 in .22LR, a very accurate rifle, shot Eley, Winnies and Magtech subbies equally well. No issues with bolt but barrel was very long for a truck gun.

Most people agree that the CZ is a good tool especially in HMR guise.

A

Jan look no further than the Sako Finnfire.

Second hand prices are very high and for a good reason, no one wants to sell them as they are just too nice. It took me twenty or so years to see the light and everything that people had told me about them was correct. The thing that I notice most is although it's a rimfire the rifle feels like you are holding a center fire, why the bloody hell did Sako stop making them?

Expect to pay between £350 - £500

There is/was one for sale on the BBS a couple of days ago, I think it was the sporter model, but I personally would go with the Varmint for target/varmint use.

The one on BBS belongs to Richard H and is a sporter, it's in as new condition and having handled it I would have to say it is worth the £500 he is asking for it. He's only had it a few weeks and I'd say it would be best bought before he's had it another few and he's had the chance to make it resemble everything else he owns ;) .

Pete.

I have a 17HMR Anschutz carbine with the thumbhole stock and I'd recommend it highly. It's very accurate and the rifle is a quality package. Having said that a pal has he Cz equivalent and on the basis of its performance it would be hard to justify the extra cost of the Anschutz.

Cornishman

Try that with the current 17HMR ammo floating around now ;) I have three HMR's and they are very accurate. I have seven WMR's and all are accurate as well; including a Savage Striker bolt action handgun 22WMR that will shoot an inch at 100 yards. Sorry you had a bad experience with the WMR but for consistent accuracy and reliable killing I'll take the 22WMR every time.~Andrew

I have to say the 17hmr in thumb hole anshutz,very accurate and easy to carry,and with the thumb hole stock it just becomes part of your body when firing. why i have 3 ,two in hmr and one in 22rf. and am thinking of exchanging my 22rf -10-22 and getting another anchutz. ive had in the past the CZ both in 17 and 22 the 22 i couldnt knock it,as for the 17 for some reason i had probs from day one,couldnt get decent groups.

With anshutz its just a really nice rifle and pleasure to shoot.

As for sako,i have never used so cant comment on them.

Mick

The one on BBS belongs to Richard H and is a sporter, it's in as new condition and having handled it I would have to say it is worth the £500 he is asking for it. He's only had it a few weeks and I'd say it would be best bought before he's had it another few and he's had the chance to make it resemble everything else he owns ;) .

Pete.

Sorry am I being thick? Where is this BBS?

Just an FYI....

Remington has issued a product warning/recall on all of their 17HMR ammunition as well as their 597 semi auto rifles chambered for it. (Being the half bankrupt, robbing-Peter-to-pay-Paul SOB's that they are, they are offering 80% of retail on the ammo and 66% of retail on their rifles if you want to return them!) I know this doesn't affect most of you on that side of the Pond, but I thought I'd let you know. CCI has put a warning on their site that 17HMR is no longer approved for autoloading weapons of any kind. I don't know if the Brno 617s are floating around your neck of the woods but if so, be warned. No mention of problems in other weapons.

Needless to say,American shooters are urinated-off a bit at Remington right now. For decades their quality has been 20 paces behind their hype. It's coming home to roost on them...again!~Andrew

First of all, Hello to everyone this is my first post as a new member.

On the suject of barrel length in 22, I did see some info on velocity testing and barrel length and seem to recall the optimum length was 16in, for every 2in longer the velocity dropped around 20fps and the same applied for every 2in shorter.

As for the Sako finfire/quad, I used to own a finfire varmint and although it was a quality rifle it could not hold it's own against my very old and tatty anshutz kkj so given the choice it would have to be an anshutz but that was until I bought an HW66 in HMR.

IMHO its more accurate and better finished than a anshutz or sako plus has the best factory trigger on any rifle I've ever shot,

wrap this in a beautifully figured semi target stock and I honestly think its the best HMR out there and if the 22 version is the same them that's going to take some beating as well.

If you can cope with the weight and stock style then it's worth serious consideration.

Bluebell,

You need to tell us what calibre you want, as this makes quite a difference in rifle choice.

Many .22 Traget rifle clubs (indoor and outdoor) will not be cleared for 17HMR or even .22WMR.

If by target you mean informal plinking then rifle and calibre choice is not as important as for a target rifle club.

Ian.

Ian Truth is I will probably end up with both .22 LR and .17HMR. Both of which I know can be used at Bisley-which is where I do most of my target shooting. At the moment Im tempted to try to find a .22LR finnfire and go for the anschuz in .17HMR but not sure on barrel lenght.

Jan

Bluebell,

You need to tell us what calibre you want, as this makes quite a difference in rifle choice.

Many .22 Traget rifle clubs (indoor and outdoor) will not be cleared for 17HMR or even .22WMR.

If by target you mean informal plinking then rifle and calibre choice is not as important as for a target rifle club.

Ian.

Hi Ian. Jan is looking for bunny guns in .17hmr & .22 lr i believe..

I've just landed a new 46 acre permission with bunnies coming out of it's earholes so she better hurry with the kit if she wants to help me clear the critters..lol...

Jan it's in Totternhoe so nice and close.... :D

"I would like to see some 30-40gr VLD type ammo loaded for the HMR

BUT I would like to see it being pushed at the same velocity

that the 17gr V-maxes are pushed at....or at the very least loaded to give the

same POI."

And I'd like pork chops that caused me to lose weight wen I ate them! :D

The VLD's would not expand, not stabilize and could never get to that speed without compromising safety. Not to mention that they wouldn't fit in the magazines of any rifle out there today.

JMHO of course....~Andrew

Hi Ian. Jan is looking for bunny guns in .17hmr & .22 lr i believe..

I've just landed a new 46 acre permission with bunnies coming out of it's earholes so she better hurry with the kit if she wants to help me clear the critters..lol...

Jan it's in Totternhoe so nice and close.... :)

Oops.. That'll teach me to second guess you Jan.. I thought you wanted them for hunting.. :D

Archived