which .22/.17 for mixed target/varmint use?

• 2 weeks later...

ive got the annie hmr i w ouldnt have the 14 inch barrel one tho. stick to the 18 inch barrel. as for the bolt its as smooth as you like and single stage trigger is sweet. can be adjusted easy to.

only downside to the annie hmr is the mag. nothing wrong with it as such. just that it only holds 4 rounds which is abit rubbish really. should do a 10 shot mag for it

I have looked at the 17HMR , and as the cost of the rifles and ammo is much more inline with running a 22 centerfire , I am NOT that interested in them .

What I am looking at is a CZ 527 in 22hornet ( re-cut chamber to K hornet ) , shorten barrel to 20 inches and have a small steel can made for It , Ohh and YES reload for it , also have the bolt web cut down thinner .

I think it will offer MUCH more performance for similar cost .

I KNOW thats not what you want too hear .

Later Chris

The Cz mag only holds 5 rds of HMR/22 mag

I thought a 10 rd would be handy too.

Even wrote to CZ USA thinkin they should do something about it.

308Panther

foxy from uk customshop has just made a 10 shot mag for the cz. i think its on slae now

Thanks for the consideration,but what I would spend in shipping plus the cost of a 10rd mag

would be the close to the cost of 2 5rd mags here in the U.S.

308Panther

sorry mate i didnt see that you where from across the pond :);)

I have looked at the 17HMR , and as the cost of the rifles and ammo is much more inline with running a 22 centerfire , I am NOT that interested in them .

What I am looking at is a CZ 527 in 22hornet ( re-cut chamber to K hornet ) , shorten barrel to 20 inches and have a small steel can made for It , Ohh and YES reload for it , also have the bolt web cut down thinner .

I think it will offer MUCH more performance for similar cost .

I KNOW thats not what you want too hear .

Later Chris

Chris: Have you considered the balance between increased case capacity and reduced barrel length? You might not gain much. Over here, the most popular powder for the 22H seems to be Hodgdon's "Lil Gun" which delivers high speed with low pressures. You might want to try it before you spend the $$ to recut the chamber. I like K-Hornet, btw, but in the old days it was to save brass. With Lil Gun I just can't wear the cases out. Just a thought. ~Andrew

PS: My CZ's chamber is so perfectly round I'd be scared to let anyone run a reamer into it.

Archived