which 4x4

axel

Hello lads

Im finally getting shot of my Range Rover P38 after years of mailny trouble free driving, anyway im not sure which pick up to get.. new L200... Hilux .. Navara or a Defender. Like the Navara but heard bad reports on the engines, i have drove all and they all have good and bad points, just asking as i want a reliable motor for shooting and general use ... any ideas ??????????????????????

I am a landy man through and through, but yes they do have their pit falls. Landy aside I would personally go for the hilux as the navaras suffer engine trouble as you said. I know this for a fct as my works one let go on the motorway in spectacular fashion!!! and my father is an engine reconditioner and has re built 5 or 6 of them in the last couple of years.

I am a landy man through and through, but yes they do have their pit falls. Landy aside I would personally go for the hilux as the navaras suffer engine trouble as you said. I know this for a fct as my works one let go on the motorway in spectacular fashion!!! and my father is an engine reconditioner and has re built 5 or 6 of them in the last couple of years.

its all personal choice but lets be honest you canot beat a defender

then buy a new defender, will give you three years of trouble free driving.....

i have , it hasnt

been back to the garage 4 times in last four months

its all personal choice but lets be honest you canot beat a defender

That's the funniest thing I've ever heard!!!!

Unless you mean for oil leaks, discomfort and expensive break downs. They're brilliant at all those things.

That's the funniest thing I've ever heard!!!!

Unless you mean for oil leaks, discomfort and expensive break downs. They're brilliant at all those things.

you are probably right about oil leaks and discomfort but depending on which year of defender you have had apart from a clutch on a td 5 they are as cheap as any other and are still and the best offroad shooting motor i have had three and never had one break down .

GET A DEFENDER

you are probably right about oil leaks and discomfort but depending on which year of defender you have had apart from a clutch on a td 5 they are as cheap as any other and are still and the best offroad shooting motor i have had three and never had one break down .

GET A DEFENDER

DO YOU USE EM MATE

I've had one of the new Defender twin cabs for nine months now and couldn't be happier with it :D

It knocks spots off the older T3 and TDi's (which I've also had) and is more user friendly for the family as well as still being the best off roader on the market

After reading some of the LR forums it appeared that the first models off the production line (up to Sept 08) had some teething & quality control problems that they seem to have sorted out :D

The Defenders are ok I have just sold my late 2008 one and it was fine ( illness and not working the sale reason). The Mitsubishi is not bad but the parts are telephone numbers +. Toyota do well but are not quite as good as they used to be, the later Isuzu single and twin cab pickups are brilliant and reasonably priced, quite a few of the lads round here have them and not one has had a bad word to say about them. You makes your choice and pays your money :D

redfox

P.S. Ford bought Landrover to find out how to make a 4x4 that would stay upright and not get stuck,

Rangers yuck.

I've got an early navara 01 plate thats brilliant, bit juicy but touch wood as relliable as hell. My mate also has the L200 warrier, same as the navara very relliable. I would say that the mitsubishi to me is a little more comfortable over the navara. There is a Mazda version as well that I believe is almost a carbon copy of the ford - the only thing I found was that the mazda one (used by the PH's on Africa) was as unconfortable as hell on a long run - anything over an hour. The Isuzu rodeo is meant to be very good as well. But like Redfox says you makes your choice and pays your money.

Millwall Paul

I used to drive a 200tdi defender when i worked on farms and shoots and it was great at what it did, with very few road miles. BUT these days im on the road a bit more and i drive a new L200 which knocks spots off the landy as an all rounder (purely because its acceptable on the road).

My boss had a new L200 on all terrains and it was pretty good off road as well

But the landrovers are undoubtably better as standard, they have longer suspension travel and i have more confidence in them.

Even if i was going back onto farm and shoot work i dont think i would go for the new landy because it is very rare that you are doing something that the double cabs cant cope with and they are better all round. (might think about an older one that i can look after myself though)

As for choosing between the double cabs. I have only tried the L200 out of the new lines but i didnt get a good feeling from the Rodeo as a dual purpose truck, more of a road issue!

I would have no qualms reccomending the L200 but would suggest you go for the ones above 4 life (which i have) because the Alloys look better and fit bigger tyres, mine looks a bit girly!

I know of an L200, animal i think with alloys and all terrains for £12,500 near me. Can find out more details if you like but its in North Wales

• 2 weeks later...

My TD5 (194.000) Disco has been off the road more than its been on it in the last year. The Defender has though been pretty good although it has only done 70,000 odd miles. Its a real awkward one to shoot out of the drivers window though. You have to stay inside the cab and use a shooting bag or pipe lagging on the drivers window glass for support as the wing mirror is to far away.

From you choice I would look very closely at Toyota.

A

am in the same boat here

looking for a crew cab

thinking ford ranger coz fordies cheaper on parts and i seen one gettin hell off road and it was great

would love a hilux but nowt in range/cash im looking at....all newer and big money .....crewcab 03 or that age like rocking horse that which promotes growth and vigour

or ann L200 ...jist dunnoe!!!!!!!

sauer

Either Toyota or Mazda (Ford Ranger is Mazda)

I gave up with landrover (although I love em), just preferd to go shooting.

The Landy meant a strickt regime of weekly repairs,

longer term monthly repairs and then the bigger repairs

which popped up several times a year. I got to know all the

paddocks and cradocks for spare parts.

My ex boss had a brand new range rover and a quite new td5,

he ended up driving his vintage 1962 merc often because the landy's

where both in repair.

I drive a 98 Nissan patrol straight six since a few years, gets an oil change

once a year, that's it.

edi

in dry arid dusty conditions the jap stuff is very good and pretty reliable, will tow well in those conditions.

in wet, damp, muddy conditions they will do OK. add a trailer or any amount of weight behind them and i really don't think they will cut it.

with the right boots on them they will get themselves out of most sticky situations.

land rover lives for mud and more mud, again with the right boots on will go any where and will cope with towing in shitty conditions.

really depends on your use. home stuff? shooting? work?

i have taken my landy places at work which i really believe i wouldn't have done with anything else.

Archived