Wales didn't come last!

Well lads what an experience.

It started for me at 3.30am with my journey to meet my friend Gareth who was also in the team.

I got there by 4.15 and we loaded the gear into his car as he had kindly volunteered to drive.

As you can imaging the talk was very excited as to the prospects of the weather.

As we drove down the M4 through torrential rain and as dawn came we could see the trees bending to the forecasted 15 mph winds, we wondered what our prospects for the match would be like.

We got to Bisley by 7.15 and met our team captain Derrick.

I had been squadded to shoot first at 8 am and it was the team captains desision for us to string fire so each of us could make the most of hopefully similar conditions.

The weather was dry thankfully but a stiff wind cut across Stickledown the wind meter reading 12 mph with gust to 16 mph coming from 8 o'clock.

First up was 900 yards and I settled in awaiting the order to commence fire, my wind coach Martin and I chatted about final tactics, to hold on minute changes and to dial anything greater.

013-1.jpg

The order to proceed was given my first sighter shot a 4 right of the bull with spot on elevation. I'm always so releived when that target drops after you fire that first shot.

Corrections were made and of I went with my string, that tiny F class .5 MOA V bull being elusive.

I finnished my string with a score of 70 2v in those conditions with a strong changable wind and the smaller F class target I was chuffed.

It was after this that as a team we suffered some bad luck which would cost us dear in the final placings.

Hind sight is a wonderful thing sadly.

The next team member up to shoot on my supposedly cleared target fired his first sighter which came back bull 5 so he fired his next which came back a miss?

We challenged as how to you go from a bull to a miss?

It came back a miss.

What had happened the butt crew had not patched my last shot and put the marker into it. In reality he had missed the target with his first shot not got a bull 5.

Hence to say he had used up his 2 sighters so his next shot to score now was also a miss, when we resolved the problem it took a time to get him under way and a quite few points were thrown away.

So any way with the rain staying off it was back to 1000 yards and me to shoot again.

I started well with a string of 5's having converted both my sighters.

Then Martin and I both missed a wind change with a gust taking my bullet into the 3 ring.

I recovered with a 4 then finnished my string with 2 v bulls and a couple of 5's for a score of 68 2v.

I was pleased with how I ended up in those conditions as staying in or near the V bull on the F class target is a challenge to say the least.

001-5.jpg

Gareth my friend under way with his 7mm WSM.

What I was really proud of was I ended up with the top score in the Welsh team.

Also for the first time in a long time Wales didn't come last.

We beat the Canadians one of the Irish teams and the I think the Dutch team.

The USA F/TR team were only one point ahead of us and Germany only a few more.

So that cock up cost us a few places.

The winning team was the USA F class team with England in second.

007-1.jpg

It was a real priviledge to shoot at such an event.

I enjoyed it immensley and I was chuffed not to have let the side down.

Well there's always next year so hopefully the team can do better again.

Cheers all and thanks for all the prematch good wishes, they must have helped.

Dave

I must ask the parents if there's any Welsh blood in the family :)

Thanks Ian, look hard enough and you will find.

It would be excellent to have you on board.

Speak soon.

Dave

Well done Dave

"always a relief to see the board drop" - you dont know how true that is :)

The V bull is pretty elusive and with something less than a 7mm WSM you need more than a keen eye on the wind. The last time I shot at Bisley, a guy was there with a 6.5x284 who shot on my detail, he was being blown literally from one side of the board to the other yet my 7 was consistantly shooting 5's or V's.

Great write up, fantastic achievement for first time team shoot.

There is a two day F Class UK league shoot at Diggle in Sept, you coming up?

Thanks lads for all the kind comments.

I found the individual scores for the 4 USA shooters in the winning team.

Traylor 143.09

Murphy 141.07

Shiraz, 142.10

Taite, 143.11

I managed 138.04 if only I hadn't dropped a 3 at 1000 :D:lol::D

Cheers

Dave

Out of interest Dave how many people were using Sinclair bi-pods or similar?

Your 138 score looks very respectable alongside the US scores, is there anywhere we can get all the scores for both team and individual?

Very well done Dave , really proud for you!!!! :wacko: :wacko:

Good to hear you had a great time too!!! :D

All the best................

RAY.............................

• 3 weeks later...

Well done!

Wasn't aware that Wales was entering a team in the World Championships!! Was the team in F Open or FTR?

I was shooting there on the first two days in the individual competition in FTR using my .308, and finished 16th overall. Pity I didn't know you guys where there would have come over and said hello!

Hi Taffy good to have a fellow Welsh shooter. Well done on your 16th place.

The comp I was in was at the end off the Imperial meet not the Worlds, but the International I shot in because it was the precursor to the worlds all the top teams were there.

We were shooting F open class, it was a great day.

Cheers

Dave

I spotted on the fclassuk site that Russell Simmonds who cleaned up F/TR ( and near all of Open) uses a Barnard action and True-flite barrel.

Great source of pride to a Kiwi :D

Chris-NZ

I spotted on the fclassuk site that Russell Simmonds who cleaned up F/TR ( and near all of Open) uses a Barnard action and True-flite barrel.

Great source of pride to a Kiwi :D

Chris-NZ

Russel is a member of our club and Neil (Dasherman) built his rifle. It shoots exceptionally well and is well guided by Russel.

Cheers

Dave

Archived