Wales didn't come last!

Hi Taffy good to have a fellow Welsh shooter. Well done on your 16th place.

The comp I was in was at the end off the Imperial meet not the Worlds, but the International I shot in because it was the precursor to the worlds all the top teams were there.

We were shooting F open class, it was a great day.

Cheers

Dave

Why didn't we put a team into the World Championship then?

I shoot in the UK F class League which put two GB teams into the FC WC,is there a different F Class set up in Wales? Seems that perhaps there are shooters out there who are who could benefit the welsh team that are currently not known, Some of us have shot both Open and FTR. If you look at the list my designated country was Wales. It's good to know that there are other F Class shooters in Wales so why haven't i heard of it? Perhaps I live a very sheltered life up here in Pwllheli !!

Russel is a member of our club and Neil (Dasherman) built his rifle. It shoots exceptionally well and is well guided by Russel.

Cheers

Dave

Cheers for that Dave

I will be able to give my 6.5x47 a little try-out in Sept when we get our new fullbore range running. It's been about 5 yrs since we lost our excellent 1000yd range to a BS decision by the Army so it'll be great to have somewhere to shoot. My RPA target rifle has forgotten what it's for.. The new range will only have 3 distances (3, 6 &1000yds) but those are the ones that matter. We will have the luxury of 4 electronic targets, something that is in fact necessary with the difficulty of finding markers these days.

Chris-NZ

Why didn't we put a team into the World Championship then?

I shoot in the UK F class League which put two GB teams into the FC WC,is there a different F Class set up in Wales? Seems that perhaps there are shooters out there who are who could benefit the welsh team that are currently not known, Some of us have shot both Open and FTR. If you look at the list my designated country was Wales. It's good to know that there are other F Class shooters in Wales so why haven't i heard of it? Perhaps I live a very sheltered life up here in Pwllheli !!

Hi to find out details are you a member of the WRA (Welsh Rifle Association)

We didn't send a team to the worlds as we couldn't get a team of 8 together with the scorers and plotters.

There are only a few of us shooting F class but the more who join and stand under the flag the bettter we'll do.

Cheers

Dave

Cheers for that Dave

I will be able to give my 6.5x47 a little try-out in Sept when we get our new fullbore range running. It's been about 5 yrs since we lost our excellent 1000yd range to a BS decision by the Army so it'll be great to have somewhere to shoot. My RPA target rifle has forgotten what it's for.. The new range will only have 3 distances (3, 6 &1000yds) but those are the ones that matter. We will have the luxury of 4 electronic targets, something that is in fact necessary with the difficulty of finding markers these days.

Chris-NZ

Cheers Chris sounds good, you'll find the 47 very capable.

My mate is trying to get me to shoot match rifle next year and if I build a rifle it will be a Barnard P action with a Trueflite barrel :D:D

Cheers

Dave

Cheers Chris sounds good, you'll find the 47 very capable.

My mate is trying to get me to shoot match rifle next year and if I build a rifle it will be a Barnard P action with a Trueflite barrel :D:D

Cheers

Dave

will that be open sights dave

will that be open sights dave

No Spud your allowed optical sights but it is shot at 1000/1100/1200 yards. The rifle is shot unsupported at the rear, you are allowed to rest your forehand or use a sling, no part of the rifle is allowed to touch anything your hand must be between you and it.

You can only shoot .308 in this class.

Sounds a real challenge, going to have a go at the English 8 in October, Gareth is going to lend me a rifle.

Cheers

Dave

My mate is trying to get me to shoot match rifle next year and if I build a rifle it will be a Barnard P action with a Trueflite barrel :);)

Cheers

Dave

She's a long ways out there Dave for a .308.

Mine needs 35mins up (from a 300 zero) for 1000- mind you, those are Central sights which are about 0.85 actual when on a 30" barrel.

I'd hate to think what 1200 would require.

They only shoot Match Rifle at the Brancepeth range here- driven by a keen vet of Scottish ancestry. I've never taken the opportunity but must have a go at some stage. They always have a good BBQ afterwards

cheers

Chris-NZ

Yes Chris it is a long way for a .308 but they manage to do it.

My friend Gareth this year has matched the world record at 1200 yards with a score of 100 16V

They seem to be a great bunch of lads shooting Match rifle similar to the boys shooting F class, so the draw to join in the fun is quite strong.

Cheers

Dave

Yes Chris it is a long way for a .308 but they manage to do it.

My friend Gareth this year has matched the world record at 1200 yards with a score of 100 16V

Mighty fine shooting Dave. Can't say I've ever tried shooting lying on my back but it's obviously viable :)

I'm told it's a bit funny marking in the butts. You get some shots with the usual sonic crack but many are of course subsonic at those distances , I'd imagine all at 1200yds.

Chris

Hi Chris, I've never tried the supine position you see them use occasionally, have you?

I agree it must be odd in the buts, the art is from what Gareth tells me is that you bullet must still be supersonic at 1200 which is difficult with a .308, hence the use of bullets in excess of 200grains.

Hence the rifles have very long barrels to squeak every last fps out of the .308.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Chris, I've never tried the supine position you see them use occasionally, have you?

I agree it must be odd in the buts, the art is from what Gareth tells me is that you bullet must still be supersonic at 1200 which is difficult with a .308, hence the use of bullets in excess of 200grains.

Hence the rifles have very long barrels to squeak every last fps out of the .308.

Cheers

Dave

Nah, never tried the supine Dave. Bit kinky for me :)

The guys round here are just using their std NRA guns like mine, ie 30" barrel and 155 projs.

No doubt the 200 grainers and a bit more barrel would be helpful

Chris

Bullet weight really does win at that distance. You can easily drive a 155 to keep it supersonic at 1200 yards but it suffers badly in the wind.

The lads over here in our windy climate found you were getting blown from one side of the target to the other at 1200 with the 155's.

The 210 Sierras or 208 A max with 10 twist barrels seem to be flavour of the month.

It really does sound a challenge.

In the Imperial meet just gone Gareth was saying that all the shooters in the top 10 were using bullets over 200 grains.

Even 190 Bergers were suffering with the windy conditions, they at one point with the 210 Sierras were holding 12 MOA of wind at 1200yards.

Cheers

Dave

Bullet weight really does win at that distance. You can easily drive a 155 to keep it supersonic at 1200 yards but it suffers badly in the wind.....

Even 190 Bergers were suffering with the windy conditions, they at one point with the 210 Sierras were holding 12 MOA of wind at 1200yards.

Cheers

Dave

I can definitely remember over 15mins at 1000yds on our National range Dave.

Think I might even still have some plots of coached shooting.

Had a lucky day once at the Regional Team Shoot that follows the Queens. Was top shooter at 1000 just pipping the prev year's Queen's winner.

cheers

Chris

I can definitely remember over 15mins at 1000yds on our National range Dave.

cheers

Chris

That is an amazing amount of wind,it's almost like aiming at the bull of one target and hitting the next one :D

If I remember rightly the targets are 8moa wide?

Its nice to have a good day and read the wind right, it is a great leveller on a windy day.

You must of been chuffed to edge out the previous champ.

Nice one

Dave

That is an amazing amount of wind,it's almost like aiming at the bull of one target and hitting the next one :(

If I remember rightly the targets are 8moa wide?

Dave

That'd be about right Dave- 4 foot from the centre to the edge.

Yeh, if it came off markedly, it's very easy to miss the whole target without correction. I've seen plenty of 2s come up there.

Trentham can sure blow and the classics are frontal fishtails that change so fast, you can be -way- off if you take more than 3 secs to fire a shot after deciding on the wind.

There's a rule of thumb my very experienced clubmate/gunsmith told me when I was starting out- "at 900yds, if you can see a definite change, move 2MOA"

cheers

Chris

There's a rule of thumb my very experienced clubmate/gunsmith told me when I was starting out- "at 900yds, if you can see a definite change, move 2MOA"

cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris I'll bare that in mind, we have the Welsh Open in 2 weeks and with the summer we've had it will probably rain and blow like hell, so that little pearl may well come in handy.

The 6.5-284 I use is about 2/3 the wind of RG so I'll adapt your rule a little :(

Cheers

Dave

Archived