Stock Change

How many of you have changed a factory stock for something better?, if so what and why.

Personally everything I have has the stock it was supplied with.

A

How many of you have changed a factory stock for something better?, if so what and why.

Personally everything I have has the stock it was supplied with.

A

mc millan on both of my sako

reason: always yearned for a custom stock but never been able to afford it untill just lately

Guest Sprags

I had the factory Remington SPS stock removed and a Hogue full aluminium bedded stock put on.

One day I will go down the Macmillan route but not just yet as I am financially embarrassed!!

Remmie 10/22 changed a couple of times to find something that feel great and allows custom barrel.

2 Remmie sps changed to Hogue full ali bedded as standard ones are S**** and groups shrunk.

Tikka changed to Robertson as my new barrel wont fit standard stock plus it feel and looks better.

Sako x2 changed to mcmillan due to future upgrade of barrels and better fit n feel.

Hi A,

Changed my 221 Fireball CZ527 into a pillar bedded H & S Precision varmint stock, from the standard walnut stock.

Confession time, :o I only changed this as I rather stupidly attempted to bed it myself an ended up cracking the stock trying to remove it from the action (Didn't apply enough release agent) DOH :blink::lol:

From then on I always leave it to the experts.

And the 220 AI Remington 700 wears a black Manners GAT, carbonfibre filled with a Versa Pod stud installed, superbly bedded by Ronin. I changed the Remy as i needed a stock with a very high cheek piece for a big scope combined with night vision, and I LOVE thumbhole stocks ^_^

Cheers Steve

2 Mcmillans on the Sako's(both were wood stocks and bedded from before ie. nothing wrong with them :blink: ) and another McMillan on my Remington. Changed because it was bought secondhand with a very tired wooden stock.

All my rifles have aftermarket stocks

either custom laminate (Greg West / Shehane - I have yet to invest in a Russo, just waiting for the right rifle,,,,,) - , Mcmillan, HS Precision or Manners.

I have yet to find a factory rifle that hasn't benefitted from a stock change (aesthetically and performance wise).

I have changed the stock on my Browning A-bolt, firstly cos it was only £100 for a second hand McMillan and secondly because the origional synthetic stock was flexible and the rifle shot like ****.

I have also replaced the stock on my TC encore to a boyds thumbhole. The original cracked and needed replacing and I fancied a thumbhole.

Guest martin

I must be the only one on here with a 'Bell & Carlson' which I put on my Remmy .243 as the original stock was just too flexible,coupled with the fact it was only £130 I thought it was a bargain,and,it certainly has brought in my groups.........Martin

AICS on a Remy 700 SPS varmint - The original stock was made from reformed coke bottles, and shot like it until the swap.

Choate varmint on a Savage 10fp and also a Choate sniper model stock on a Remy 700 .300 RUM, to tame the recoil.

I changed my remmy ADL stock for an HS with varmint profile with full aluminium block. Im not sure what to do with my tikka695 when i have funds as i was thinking of a Mcmillian or to get a remmy clone action & get a custom build with an HS-stock as i really like them. I got my mate with a remmy sps s/s in 25cal a l/a HS-stock varmint profile & he loves it he is going to rebarrel & full blueprint action & a posiable bed job.

Only non original stocks for me.

I fitted myself a stock for my deer rifle. Fairly light

all carbon outside and strong as hell. The stock is perfected

for offhand snap shooting, but also OK for prone.

I never liked the quality of most aftermarket composite stocks

and started a small production. Very interesting how light and

strong one can get.

edi

strong one can get.

edi

got any pictures edi, as they sound interesting

strong one can get.

edi

The McM ultra light looks a lovelly stock for a lightweight hunting rifle. I did see a nice blue/white marbelled one in a magazine recently.

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-u...hp#uhuntersedge

A

I changed my remmy ADL stock for an HS with varmint profile with full aluminium block. Im not sure what to do with my tikka695 when i have funds as i was thinking of a Mcmillian or to get a remmy clone action & get a custom build with an HS-stock as i really like them. I got my mate with a remmy sps s/s in 25cal a l/a HS-stock varmint profile & he loves it he is going to rebarrel & full blueprint action & a posiable bed job.

I recently fitted a MacMillan Sako Hunter stock to my M595 and it's a cracker, thanks to Tikka 260 for having it pillar bedded by Callum Ferguson and then not finding it suited his needs and selling to me at a fraction of what it must have cost him.

P6200215.jpg

Also rebarrelled a 700 PSS with a Choate stock to 21" and fitted a Rem laminate stock bought off another member from this site and turned this:

P7130018.jpg

into something more useful in the woods like this:

P6200216.jpg

A bit of a rethink and a stock change can definitely revive your enthusiasm for a rifle which otherwise might get left in the cabinet more often than not.

Pete.

What calibre the laminate stocked 21" barreled Remmy Pete?

Ian.

.308 Ian, it came to me as a Riflecraft TMR 1 but I never really liked the stock (Choate Ultimate Sniper) or the barrel length, 26" as it is based on Rem 700 PSS. The throat on the original barrel was dead so decided to turn the rifle into something more suitable for a fallow thumper in the woods.

I don't shoot enough target to warrant a rifle for the odd trip paper killing.

Pete.

got any pictures edi, as they sound interesting

Spud, the one-off sako in the walnut-carbon stock, fairly time consuming build

Sakocarbon1.jpg

The howa/remmy SA stock , full composite made in a hand lay-up and weaving technique.

Action inlets are moulded not milled. Therefore much stronger and stiffer. No gelcoat.

800 -900 gr with buttpad and studs.

edi

DSCN1849.jpg

Archived