British rifle action.

In the past a few people have expressed the wish that they could source a reliable action manufactured solely in the UK by a Brit. I had the the pleasure of shooting this rifle the other day whilst acompanying the builder during load development for this rifle and one of my own.

The group on the left shows a fifteen shot string, shot as quick as you can load and aim.

059.jpg

Some of you will recognise the builder. The action is a prototype chambered 6.5 Nemesis.

057.jpg

A little look at the action, pics taken with mobile so not the best unfortunately.

058.jpg

For those that are interested contact Chris at Anglo Custom Rifles.

I have no vested interest in this company, merely an interested bystander.

Pete.

Looks like a interesting bit of kit!!! :lol: :lol:

Looks like a nice truck rifle too when foxing , thanks for sharing Pete!!! :lol:;)

All the best...................

RAY...........................................

A big shame that Chris is no longer on here - experience and great riflesmith (what tallant!)

Glad I got to know him before he left here as I now have a rifle built by him at a realistic cost, I for one liked his humour too!! :lol:

Nice to see a british action at long last. However, just like bloody buses.....they come along in two,s !

John carr at John Carr guns in Doncaster is also just about to release his own, which is again, a remington clone i believe. Good luck to both parties with their endeavours. We know the pitfalls and ball aches involved in action production. our second 10/22 action, which is stainless steel, is just being finished, engraved etc.

The shooting public dont realise the time , effort, and sheer expense, that goes into these projects. However, due to the hard work of several UK companies, we are now rapidly getting away from being states independant, which can only be a good thing.

Personally I wouldn’t care if 100 buses came along at the same time. Competition is always a good thing.

I haven’t seen Chris’s Action in the flesh yet but I am down to his this Tuesday coming so I will report back. If it is shooting like the report above a might have a long range rig built on one.

Along with his custom bullets in 22, 6mm & 6.5 Chris seems to be getting his finger out. Its good to see a UK rifle smith doing something different.

Ads ;)

Guest Sprags

I've just got back from Chris's, whilst there i had a good look at the rifle/action.

Here's a couple pics for you, i'm sure you will agree it looks a quality action.

action3Medium.jpg

action2Medium.jpg

action1Medium.jpg

I now need to start saving so I can aquire one of these beauty's.

Regards,Sprags

p.s The bolt release cutout on the stock was from when it was inletted for a Surgeon.

A welcome british addition to the Rem Clone stable, although the tang area appears to be of different diameter to Rem footprint otherwise it would drop in to the stock?

There appears to be a fit issue in the stock in the picture (tang)

Edited 30th June 2009 - Now understand the fit issue as Chris's action has a wider / squarer tang than the Remmy, hence why it isnt dropped into the stock in the photo.

Would like to see one in the flesh, have they an integral recoil lug?

Any idea of price?

Release date?

Well done Chris!!!! :blush: :blush:

That action sure looks sweet!!! :blush:

Like baldie says , it so good to see the British getting involved in making actions and rifle bits and pieces!!!!

I know its horses for courses , but i loved the RPA action too!!! :blush:

I await more info with baited breath :blush: , not fishy breath!! :wacko::blush:

All the best.................

RAY.........................................

Guest Kenneth
A big shame that Chris is no longer on here - experience and great riflesmith (what tallant!

I apologuise if my first post appears negative but it takes more then half a dozen component builds and 18month-2 years cutting threads on a lathe to be considered an experienced and great rifle smith. Even if he did put one together for you cheap.

Russ Gall of RG rifles who is an experienced riflesmith has his own actions similar to the Kelby actions in production.

"Action specifications

17/4 PH stainless hardened to 39 Rockwell before machining.1.36" diameter. Raceway and internal cam EDM cut. Thread 1.0625 x 18 tpi. Pinned recoil lug. Will accept Remington bottom-metal. Single-shot utilizing trigger-hanger, repeater has trigger pinned. Drilled and tapped 6 x 48 for scope-bases.

Bolt specifications:

Machined from one piece of high carbon EN30B tool steel. A 10lb block to start with produces 2 of 8oz bolts. Heat treated to 45 Rockwell after rough machining then ground to final dimensions. Sako style extractor and spring plunger ejector. Stainless steel shroud and fluted firing pin. 308, 223, PPC and magnum options. "

http://www.precisionrifle.co.uk/

I wish them all the VB of luck

I apologuise if my first post appears negative but it takes more then half a dozen component builds and 18month-2 years cutting threads on a lathe to be considered an experienced and great rifle smith. Even if he did put one together for you cheap.

Some people have a natural tallent with Machines. My opinion is that Chris is one of those people.

He might not have been building Rifles as long as Russ but he has been working laith's for quite a while.

Chris has built me two rifles now for a hell of a lot cheaper than most builders out there. Both rifles shoot .4" 5 shot groups. What more experiance does he need. He builds rifles and they shoot!!!

Russ Gall of RG rifles who is an experienced riflesmith has his own actions similar to the Kelby actions in production.

Russ does have an action designed/prototyped but the last time i spoke with him he hadnt started production with them.

Kenneth,

Coming on here and writing all thast on your first post is not the best way to slott in and make friends!!

How about a nice intro to start with. Tell us about "your" interests and knowledge.

Ads ;)

"Action specifications

17/4 PH stainless hardened to 39 Rockwell before machining.1.36" diameter. Raceway and internal cam EDM cut. Thread 1.0625 x 18 tpi. Pinned recoil lug. Will accept Remington bottom-metal. Single-shot utilizing trigger-hanger, repeater has trigger pinned. Drilled and tapped 6 x 48 for scope-bases.

Bolt specifications:

Machined from one piece of high carbon EN30B tool steel. A 10lb block to start with produces 2 of 8oz bolts. Heat treated to 45 Rockwell after rough machining then ground to final dimensions. Sako style extractor and spring plunger ejector. Stainless steel shroud and fluted firing pin. 308, 223, PPC and magnum options. "

http://www.precisionrifle.co.uk/

I wish them all the VB of luck

way to go kenneth , planing on making many friends with posts like that ;)

Guest Sprags
way to go kenneth , planing on making many friends with posts like that ;)

Spud, I think Kenneth is known to Chris, just someone out to cause a bit of hassle IMO! Take no notice, I bet Chris wont lose any sleep if he hears about that post anyway!

Here's a thought, allow Chris back on here so he can defend himself ;)

No , sorry. He had his chance before and decided not to take heed of what the Admin were telling him.

Word gets back to him pretty quick though ;)

If I'm not mistaken he was a mod on another site so maybe he could take it up on there.

Kenneth, I'm not sure of the motive behind your post, but you seem to be suffering from British disease, ie if somebody decides to better themselves it's best to put them down before they do.

A lot of time, effort and finance has gone into getting a prototype new action up andshooting well. If you're happier with what is available then let that be your choice, or try phoning the man himself for first hand info, instead of arriving on this site with your first post slagging off somebody else's efforts.

Not everybody who builds decent rifles has been stood at a lathe since childhood, but the the builder in question shows more than a little natural aptitude for the job and as long as he continues to produce rifles like the three he has already built for me and countless others that seem more than satisfied with his work and prices.

Ronin, the actions will cost circa. £750-800 and will be available in the very near future, the fit at the tang to be sorted before production begins.

A pity the builder is no longer able to post on this site and answer all the questions that arise concerning his experience and the need he feels to develop his own action.

I could go on but I feel I should leave this for the moment.

Favourite British pastimes: knocking and sniping, no wonder this country is in the that which promotes growth and vigour state we find ourselves in.

Pete (more than a little pissed off)

Guest Sprags
Kenneth, I'm not sure of the motive behind your post, but you seem to be suffering from British disease, ie if somebody decides to better themselves it's best to put them down before they do.

A lot of time, effort and finance has gone into getting a prototype new action up andshooting well. If you're happier with what is available then let that be your choice, or try phoning the man himself for first hand info, instead of arriving on this site with your first post slagging off somebody else's efforts.

Not everybody who builds decent rifles has been stood at a lathe since childhood, but the the builder in question shows more than a little natural aptitude for the job and as long as he continues to produce rifles like the three he has already built for me and countless others that seem more than satisfied with his work and prices.

Ronin, the actions will cost circa. £750-800 and will be available in the very near future, the fit at the tang to be sorted before production begins.

A pity the builder is no longer able to post on this site and answer all the questions that arise concerning his experience and the need he feels to develop his own action.

I could go on but I feel I should leave this for the moment.

Favourite British pastimes: knocking and sniping, no wonder this country is in the that which promotes growth and vigour state we find ourselves in.

Pete (more than a little pissed off)

Wells said Pete!!

You'd be better off apologising for your first post making you appear a total troll....

There is way more thought gone in to this action than can be imagined from the pics. There is some very clever thinking gone in to the tolerances, tapers and specific hardening that would of course be best explained by Chris if we can all play nice and get him back on here.

I've had the opportunity to handle, and in the latest stages shoot, several of the prototypes including an example with a one piece bolt (as so admired by dear Kenneth) which frankly was deemed to be nothing more than an expensive waste of steel and machining time as the only real benefit over welding (not soldering) the handle seems to be bragging rights for additional cost.

From a user judgement (ie not with my micrometer out!) the feel and tolerances on this action are amazing - having worked it alongside a Nesika, Surgeon and Lawton. The two I shot both performed incredibly well.

I've put my money where my mouth is and ordered one instead of the Surgeon I had planned for my 6.5mm build. I'll let Chris confirm his final pricing but I looked on it as Surgeon/Nesika quality for less than Lawton pricing.

I have not seen Russ's action as yet but I welcome having yet another choice. I saw some pics of a pre production model and it looked very nice.

As to your other comments Kenneth you do come across as a tad bent out of shape by something - perhaps you can give me some solid substantiated reasons (other than him being a grumpy northern git) as to why I should not have my third build done by Chris? Perhaps good work, solid advice, decent prices and a realistic timescale are not your thing? If you want your ego stroking you would be best advised to p*ss off elsewhere but to be honest I'm a pretty secure individual so not a concern of mine in selecting a builder.

No doubt some of his other customers on here (Menial1, Augholie, Sprags, Nightwalker, Tikka being amongst the happy ones I have spoken to, but I know there are more....) would be all ears too?

TC

PS Ronin, the tang is pretty beefy but does not make the action sit as high as the pics make it appear. The stock on the test rifle was whipped off the Surgeon action I tried which of course needs an indent in the stock for the bolt release hence making the Anglo action look high in the stock. The bolt release on the Angle sits above the stock on a standard remy inlet so no need to break down through the gel coat.

Pete

thanks for the update on prices, they should be competative at that.

For the record, I hope the comments I made do not fall into the "sniping and knocking" category - merly observations.

The more UK sources of actions there are the better for everyone.

However, I understand that Jackson Rifles have approximately 30 BAT actions delivered recently.......... ;)

Ronin, I merely answered your questions to the best of my knowledge and didn't feel you were having a go. I actually pulled Chris's leg when I first saw the action and told him the fit looked like a bag of that which promotes growth and vigour, can't really print the reply.

I've no idea who Kenneth may be, you perhaps do, but his first post was a typical armchair critic's snipe at somebody who has the balls to attempt an expensive and possibly disastrous venture in the midst of the current economic climate.

Let's hope Chris and Gavin at Anglo succeed and the knockers can go ###### themselves when we have a choice of British made rifle components to choose from when considering what to use on your next build.

Stateside has probably the largest civilian firearms market in the world and there has always been innovative engineers to cater for your every whim concerning rifle components, it would be nice to see a little more encouragement given to those brave souls in the UK prepared to have a go at their own expense.

Pete.

I couldnt agree more. Take some Balls for both RG Rifles & Anglo to put there neck out and take on the challenge. Just glad both are making good progress. Just a little pissed off that i have just built a 6.5 for stalking. Could have built one on either actions. Hey ho ill just have to build a long ranger ;)

Ads

Archived