British rifle action.

Kenneth, I'm not sure of the motive behind your post, but you seem to be suffering from British disease, ie if somebody decides to better themselves it's best to put them down before they do.

A lot of time, effort and finance has gone into getting a prototype new action up andshooting well. If you're happier with what is available then let that be your choice, or try phoning the man himself for first hand info, instead of arriving on this site with your first post slagging off somebody else's efforts.

Not everybody who builds decent rifles has been stood at a lathe since childhood, but the the builder in question shows more than a little natural aptitude for the job and as long as he continues to produce rifles like the three he has already built for me and countless others that seem more than satisfied with his work and prices.

Ronin, the actions will cost circa. £750-800 and will be available in the very near future, the fit at the tang to be sorted before production begins.

A pity the builder is no longer able to post on this site and answer all the questions that arise concerning his experience and the need he feels to develop his own action.

I could go on but I feel I should leave this for the moment.

Favourite British pastimes: knocking and sniping, no wonder this country is in the that which promotes growth and vigour state we find ourselves in.

Pete (more than a little pissed off)

hear hear that man

I think Chris is an ass ;) for not finishing this action before he built my rifle :huh:. Imo it looks the dogs and its nice to see some one get off there ass and put the great back into the british rifle building scene. As for people coming on here to piss on the bonfire go elsewhere ;)

I think Chris is an ass ;) for not finishing this action before he built my rifle :huh: . Imo it looks the dogs and its nice to see some one get off there ass and put the great back into the british rifle building scene. As for people coming on here to piss on the bonfire go elsewhere ;)

nice 22-250 ai no bull

I've just got back from Chris's, whilst there i had a good look at the rifle/action.

Here's a couple pics for you, i'm sure you will agree it looks a quality action.

action3Medium.jpg

action2Medium.jpg

action1Medium.jpg

I now need to start saving so I can aquire one of these beauty's.

Regards,Sprags

p.s The bolt release cutout on the stock was from when it was inletted for a Surgeon.

I've seen one of these in the metal and it certainly looks and feels the part, as Pete said earlier it does seem sad that as soon as someone puts the time, effort and lets be honest hard cash investment into a decent British product people rush to shoot holes in it ;)

An accurate British action at a considerably lower price than an imported one, and with tighter tolerences?

That can only be a good thing for the UK shooter, personally I hope they do really well with it.

Now who's going to order one?

Richard

Guest Kenneth

Guys

As I said from the very beginning I apologise if my post appeared negative. But we all have opinions on what constitutes knowledge, and experience. All of which are equally valid. If as some of you have already stated you're happy with what you've had built then I can only said fair play to you. Your money, your choices.

From a personal perspective looking at the photos posted of the Anglo action. It doesn't appeal visually. Irrespective of the low budget pricing.

Not every body thinks Damien Hurst's dead sheep has a great deal of appeal as a piece of modern art.

I agree its good to see people like Russ, John, and the team from SYSS at least trying to establish a british designed action in a increasingly competitive market.

Guys

As I said from the very beginning I apologise if my post appeared negative. But we all have opinions on what constitutes knowledge, and experience. All of which are equally valid. If as some of you have already stated you're happy with what you've had built then I can only said fair play to you. Your money, your choices.

From a personal perspective looking at the photos posted of the Anglo action. It doesn't appeal visually. Irrespective of the low budget pricing.

Not every body thinks Damien Hurst's dead sheep has a great deal of appeal as a piece of modern art.

I agree its good to see people at least trying to establish a british designed action in a increasingly competitive market.

Each to his own, looks OK to me, very similar to my PRS Borden.

A

As Chris is no longer a member on here and will not be returning I suggest that in fairness to him anyone interested in his actions contact him at www.shootforum.com where I`m sure he`ll be able to give you all the information directly rather than second hand

Guest Sprags
Looks the businees

What is it with the poison in the UK rifle building trade?? The pages and pages of poison I have seen of builders/smiths undermining and being undermined is nothing short of a disgrace

Dave

I agree with you there Dave 100%

I think that most rifle builders be that "names" or otherwise, know of each other and have respect for each other, I have yet to see or hear another rifle smith dissing in public another persons work.

There have been issues with some work done posted by unhappy customers, but in the main the first point of contact, if anyone has issues should surely be the builder..

I think personally that there are people who say, such and such is best or better than xyz, and then they grasp the thorny branch of defending their decision on the forum, be that here or elswhere.

At the end of the day, there are numerous very good smiths in this country, be that proffessional or part time.

There really is no need for venomous comments....

The problem with the UK trade is once you have a RFD you automatically get the right to manufacture firearms whether you have the skills on not

There are no vocational qualifictions that need to be attained before anyone can set up as a rifle builder.

I wont use the term gunsmith here because thats a completely different area that takes some amount of training and service with a reputable gunmakers before you can be called a gunsmith.

If legislation were brought in saying that some kind of formal qualification relating to the building/assembly of rifles had to be in place before a rifle builder could trade, then 95% of them would cease trading overnight including several of the big names.

Ian.

Guest Kenneth
The problem with the UK trade is once you have a RFD you automatically get the right to manufacture firearms whether you have the skills on not

There are no vocational qualifictions that need to be attained before anyone can set up as a rifle builder.

I wont use the term gunsmith here because thats a completely different area that takes some amount of training and service with a reputable gunmakers before you can be called a gunsmith.

If legislation were brought in saying that some kind of formal qualification relating to the building/assembly of rifles had to be in place before a rifle builder could trade, then 95% of them would cease trading overnight including several of the big names.

Ian.

Ian

I couldn't agree more. As I have said all along we all views on what constitutes knowledge, and experience. I'm perhaps of the old school that requires more than just a few months behind a lathe and a half dozen component builds delivered to a few "lucky" customers before awarding those particular accolades. Its the same in any trade.

Out of interest. What big names would you envisage failing your compulsory tests and qualifications?

Having the gift or foresight :rolleyes: and being able to read between lines :excl:

I can see where this post is going and how it is to be "moulded"

However, I have to say that it would be lovely if there was some kind of training available for firearms related products.

As it happens, there isn't

lets lock the thread before people get annoyed on here who offer the members good service and piss off for good

Archived