.338 Lap Mag 300grain bullets for Long Range

Sadly it appears that AI AXMCs don't especially like the taste of Hornady 285gr ELD-Ms. Given my success with these pills in other calibres I bought shed loads of them. (See For Sale if you want some)

From now on I will buy small numbers and try them before stocking up - school boy error!

I've worked up a load for the 250gr LockBases, which is OK, but I want a heavier bullets with a better BC for mile territory.

So what bullets have people on here had success with, with a stock AI?

• 3 weeks later...

To the OP, try a box of Berger 300grn Hybrid OTM. G7 BC is about .421

Your barrel may like them or not. It’s the throat and secant ogive. If it does like  them try a box of Berger 250grn Hybrid OTM also and measure the velocity of both. It’s touch and go if you will get a significant advantage out of a 27” tube with a 300 grain bullet depending on the distance you are shooting. Also the felt recoil of the 250 grain pills is a bit nicer.

Because I have soooo many ELD Match bullets I followed some advice from a friend and tried 50, 60, 70 and 80 thou from the lands and at 0.060" they group remarkably well. If I can find the time to make up some more test loads I'll try 3 thou either side of the sixty and see if I can finally attain perfection.

I did some powder tests with a box of 300gr Scenars at 0.016" for the lands and there were some pretty promising groups there groups.  

On 5/17/2024 at 11:26 AM, OSOK said:

Ignore the BC's and use the bullets with the best repeatable group and ES's

OSOK

agreed but I'd add at the distances you want to achieve.  250 Scenars are great at 1500yds and useless at 1 mile out of my 1:9 32" barrel.  ES won't tell you that.