alternative to the old 105 Amax .243

hey folks hope you are all doing well , many ppl have probably had to switch bullets years back from the old trusty 105 , i still have some left but will prob run out soonish . my chamber is cut for the 105 so has quite a long throat hence im after some alternative suggestions as to what ppl have switched too ? i must say iv tried ELD , TMKs , nosler 95 ballistic tips . my next try will prob be berger but i remember how fussy they were in a rifle years ago so a bit reluctant but the heavier ones may be suitable because of the bearing length .  the ones id tried weren't satisfactory i tried different seating depths etc - hoping for a solution - any input will be greatly received - atb gunny .

gunner

As an alternative and depending at what distance you're shooting the obvious choice for me would be 107smk. Although, I found shooting them at a short distance, in my case 100yds, they wouldn't group consistently and were about as much use as a Redding lock ring.  .. However, at 300yds they came good delivering a 2.5in group. At 300yds I thought this was excellent results. My previous data shows that was out of my old .243, 24in barrel and 40.5g of Ramshot Hunter..(wouldn't use Hunter again..no throat in barrel left..but definitely the 107smk as an alternative 

ATB  

If you opt for Berger VLD, definitely look at their advice on seating depth testing. In my experience, it was quite obvious how they either liked a jam or a huge (.120") jump.

For what I do with the 243, 107SMK works, and 103ELDX.

• 2 weeks later...

iv tried 107 smks and still got lots of the  108 eldm , iv never tried the eldx tho . i have just bought a box of SSTs95 grain flat base to try . as im not that fussy on BC must be highest etc . i could re test the eldm but just try different primer or powder maybe , iv  always stuck to the federal 205m primers . whats your go to primer anyone ? as its quite an easy change its prob a good idea i should try . atb 

2 hours ago, gunner said:

iv tried 107 smks and still got lots of the  108 eldm , iv never tried the eldx tho . i have just bought a box of SSTs95 grain flat base to try . as im not that fussy on BC must be highest etc . i could re test the eldm but just try different primer or powder maybe , iv  always stuck to the federal 205m primers . whats your go to primer anyone ? as its quite an easy change its prob a good idea i should try . atb 

Presume your barrel has something like 8 twist for running the 105 Amax ?

I use N555 and CCI 200 LR primers.