243 on a budget

I have a friend who does some work here as a part time keeper.

He has auth for a 222 but has changed this to a 243 as he gets an odd invite to shoot deer, so he says!!. Deer on this shoot are almost non extistant so I dont allow anyone including myself to shoot them. Thinking about tgis I wil need to check if he has it on an open ticket as well, I know his rimmy is open.

Being a typical keeper type, he wants it on a strict budget and will not reload. I have offered him the loan of my 4x14x40 VX3 for a year to two to aid his budget a bit. I have also offerd help and guidance on reloading to no avail.

He has looked at Tikka and found them very plasticy as we know, I have suggested either a new CZ or a new Howa. Sako are out of reach financially. Ray has had some splendid sport with old Parker Hales and there are some on Guntrader at 250 or so.

So what do you think, will one of these PH's do him, also, what is the acceptable (say 2moa) barrel life, maybe 2500 rounds?.

A

he is taking a gamble buying an old 243 because of the short barrel life (made even shorter with certain loads etc) he would be better buying a new budget rifle or choose another calibre unless he gets lucky and finds a sleeper.

I hear a lot a bout short barrel life on .243 but not seen or heard much evidence of it. I took a good mate of mine to get his first full bore rifle. He ended up with a second hand good from the outside Rem 700 Classic. We just asked the shop owner to give us a guarantee that we could bring it back if it didn't shoot 1.5 MOA or better. I adjusted the trigger and we free floated the barrel and it shot sub MOA no problem. He got the rifle, sling, scope(£300 new) and Harris Bipod all for les than the rifles new cost so If buying second hand ask to try before you buy or get a return policy if it doesn't shoot.

ATB

Dave

... factory rounds..for ... .308

A while back Edi mentioned somethin on how he thought the factory stuff was overloaded.

308Panther

Harden up Edi, not everything needs to run at .30 Carbine levels :):ph34r:

Chris

I have just run some ballistic drop/drift charts for my BR, an extra .5gr of powder adds 50fps to velocity yet the drops drifts up to 300 yards are no more than a single click different.

A

Harden up Edi, not everything needs to run at .30 Carbine levels :):ph34r:

Chris

now you caught me :ph34r:

but ha, i also have a 243 now, no more recoil with mody :lol:

just right for me. The kids can use the 308 now

edi

A while back Edi mentioned somethin on how he thought the factory stuff was overloaded.

Thinkin he was right.

308Panther

Funny you should say that Pat, I built a 257 Weatherby for a friend a couple of years ago and managed to get hold of a good amount of factory ammo (rare in the UK).

Before going to proof the proofmaster asked for some empty to be brought along so he could load a proof load.

This factory stuff was stiff and it needed quite some effort to lift the bolt but i thought nothing of it.

On arrival at the proofhouse we were informed that they had some proof loads left from the last 257 WM they did.

We told the proofmaster about the very heavy bolt lift issues and off he went to proof the rifle,

He came back and said what heavy bolt lift it was normal, on that we asked to try a couple of factory rounds.

He came back and said "WOW" they are hot and without doing a proper pressure test estimated them to be about 30% higher pressure then the proof load :)

No wonder they were stiff!

Ian.

Sorry to go of tangent there a bit lads but i thought it was relevant.

Just goes to show but it also goes to show what a good guy Wayne? is at the Proof House. When I went he took a lot of time to explain things.

A

Huge differance between a .30 carbine and .308win

.30 carbine is a straightwall and shorter by almost 3/4in.

308Panther

I well know that Pat, that's why I made the (stirring) comment.

My cousin had a .30 Carbine and it was totally useless on reds over 100yds. The best you could say was it was light and offered a quick follow-up shot.

Can't say I've fired any .308 factory ammo for a while but do moderate loads for my mate. We were given some 165 HPBT Gamekings and while the vels are pretty tame, they put them down with ease.

As for .308 loads, I'm used to full-house ones in Palma rifles. 45 of Varget behind the 155 Scenar or Sierra Palma gives at least 2950 in 30" barrels.

Chris

You have not given a figure for the budget, but how about this;

Gun Details[This gun was for sale as of 19:53, 04 May 09]Ruger .243 M77 Mk II Bolt Action second hand Rifle (R/H), £340 @ US$562/€395

Licence: Firearm, Barrel: 22", Stock: 131/2", Scope: Bushnell 3-9x40DescriptionThis M77 rifle is fitted with a Bushnell Banner scope. The bore is good and although there are some carrying marks to the woodwork, this is a good, inexpensive stalking outfit.

On guntrader.

ft

A friend of mine has an Interarms Mark X Mauser with a new barrel (a previously unfired Remington take off) in .243 which he's after £275 for, including a 3-9 Nikko scope and mounts. I understand the previous barrel was neglected, not shot out and that the action has done little work.

hi guys ,

if your friend is looking for new the howas shoot ok had only had mine for ten days befor the forum get together at mine and literaly lifted a couple of loads offf the internet to get going and came fourth and we where shooting three hundred yard flys at that got to tune a load or two now got more time but out the box mine has dropped a two hundred yard roe buck on the spot. in front of my mum .

graham.

When I mentioned £400/500 he winced, hence my thoughts on a £250 Parker Hale. I agree though that Howa seem a really good rifle for the money in the Miroku shotgun mould. Dont like Rugers, myself, my 10/22 was absolute crap accuracy wise out of the box, only rifle that I have changed the barrel on after 30 rounds and 20 wounded rabbits that all crawled away. Now it wears a .920 Shilen it shoots fine.

A

When I mentioned £400/500 he winced, hence my thoughts on a £250 Parker Hale. I agree though that Howa seem a really good rifle for the money in the Miroku shotgun mould. Dont like Rugers, myself, my 10/22 was absolute crap accuracy wise out of the box, only rifle that I have changed the barrel on after 30 rounds and 20 wounded rabbits that all crawled away. Now it wears a .920 Shilen it shoots fine.

A

A, in posting the Ruger I was merely showing what was on Guntrader, there are so many in that price bracket, and that one will only be just a few years old. I was offered a mkI Ruger that had been up-specked by a local RFD gunsmith (trigger job and blueprinted) it shot like a dream. Only problem it was in .257 Roberts. There are some Parker Hale Safari's in .243 on there, I do not know which is the model with the mauser action? The lads on here rate the .308 mauser/PH very highly.

At that price i think if you can buy a good action, you can re-barrel as funds allow. I will be interested to see what you can persuade him to buy.

ft

ruger mk2 are ok for a first rifle, i had a laminated stainless in 22-250 for years and it was ok

• 2 weeks later...

If he is on a real budget, he can do as I did and picked up a NEW Remington 710 with 3x9x40 scope for £375.

Not the best looking rifle in the world but it is still a Remmy, I have used it in the field and it shoots super straight - it loves 87g Vmax

A fella new to shooting dropped in the other day and I mounted a scope on his

cz243 that he had just bought new. He fired a box of whatever Mervin just had in the shop.

He had a few groups under 1/2" one even under 1/4".

If the stock is free floating on a cz they can shoot well to.

So maybe a second hand howa or cz ???

edi

I have a nearly new Ruger M77 mk2 .243 with Leupold - 6x42 for sale with Tackle and Guns Glasgow.The rifle was inherited but being a lefty is a no no. Sling included. less than 100 rounds and inch/inch and half group guarantee with good ammo.on at 400 but willing to consider an reasonable offer.cheers.

Archived