FAVORITE RETICLE WHATS YOURS

nemasis243

Well guys just a post to whats you favorite ret and what you like so much about it?

We have a fair amount of new members and I thought it might be of some help to them to see what we all like and why???

My personal favorite is a single illuminated dot which i have on my main foxing tool ,its a doctor optic fixed 8x56 and I have had it for some years and am very happy with its performance, its great for quick reaction shots which we seem to get a lot when your calling foxes in .

For the long range stuff I have a target dot on my Leupold and that wont cover a bunny at 1000yrds so its great, but too fine for night work.

So come on then what floats your boat and why?????? ;)

nightforce np 2dd for me i just love that illuminated dot, you wont lose a rabbit behind it 800 yards

My first ever stalking rifle in 1961 had a German No.1A reticle in the Zeiss scope.

Pointed post and two crossbars which could be used for range estimating.

At dawn and dusk they stuck out like a sore thumb and you could place the point on a rabbits head at 100yds.

I have one in the Swaro. on my .270 Carl Gustaf.

After 48 years still one of my favourites but I never was a long range sniper , more of a close range stalker .

HWH.

Not being a long range sniper either, I like the P4 fine reticule in my Schmidt & Benders for shooting just about anything :D;)

Thats first focal plane :D

I have a few Leups with mildots and a Nightforce with the NP-R1 ret, but slowly, I am changing all to S & B......

Just like other posters, I'm a hunter, so my preferences are biased toward suitable reticles.

For deerstalking, nothing beats the Swaro German No 1 as Stag posted. It is really good for dusk/dawn where it is easily visible against dark backgrounds such as foliage or shadow. Also nice for lamping but almost any reasonably visible reticle will be fine with 1-2M candlepower. My 416 Weatherby wears a Kahles 1.5-4.5 with a German post and is perfect against black Cape buffalo in deep shade.

For hunting, I like reticles that have a clear field in the top half of the picture. This is probably due to having been a pistol shooter and got used to the post type sight.

My lamping rifle has a Hawke 3-9x42 with a dot reticle, the dot is quite large at 300+ but the scope is adjusted such that the bullet will strike above the dot. I don't bother with the illumination.

The reticle I can't handle is the "Sniper" one. It's probably me, but it seems to confuse my brain somehow. Just can't get on with 'em.

The reticle on the MTC Viper has also become a favourite, although its a crosshair type, I like that Xmas Tree configuration. It's fine for longer ranges, IMHO. It's marked in mils so there's no need to twiddle knobs for the longer ranges just use the appropriate mark. There's no time to do that when hunting, anyway.

Peter

Schmidt & Bender no7. Suits me for stalking and the foxing I do.

I the past I used a mil-dot, but it would be wasted for what I do now, I would quite like an illuminated reticle if I do buy another scope.

ft

Guest Tiff
It's marked in mils so there's no need to twiddle knobs for the longer ranges just use the appropriate mark. There's no time to do that when hunting, anyway.

That made me laugh ;)

If you've worked out your drop in mils/MOA etc. to be able to use the reticule, then the 2 seconds it takes to dial it in is hardly going to be much of an issue.....In some respects it's far better to dial in than hold off, since there is a lot less room for error. ie. second focal plane variables have to be at the exact magnification to be accurate, or in the heat of the moment you aim 3 mills instead of 4 mils resulting in a miss or wound, or even being able to allow for wind without dialing in etc etc.

However all of the above is somewhat less relevant if your version of longer ranges is out to 300 yards....

Indeed you are right, Tiff, dialing in is by far the best option. My limit is about 300 or so yards, off sticks, but then I'm a hunter not a shooter. I dare say that range could be stretched somewhat if I used a bipod but I do not have the land where such shots would be needed so it is a moot point. Moreover, if you owned or had used one of these second focal plane Vipers, you would have known that the reticle is in mils but the knobs are in 1/8"s. My limited intellect doesn't allow me to work out the conversion as well as dialling and shooting, I'm afraid. Also, I cannot afford a Nightforce or S&B and have to make do with what I can afford. Does my incorrect approach exclude me from shooting at as long a range as I am confident despite my limited intellect, lack of opportunity and lack of the "proper" equipment?. If you know anything about hunting, you will be aware that two seconds is often the difference between a shot and a missed opportunity.

Laugh if you wish, but MY post was in reply to Nemasis243.

Peter

NP2-DD just love that small illuminated dot.

Cheers

Dave

the dot of death

thats whatdd stands for

Small optic: 1.8-10x37, JNG MOA reticle - illuminated, for a carbine does it all from 3 yards to 300 yards, has both circle and moa scale.

Medium optic (USO sn3) MDMOA, illuminated

Large optic (USO sn9) EURO MOA, illuminated - has both a MOA scale and MIL grid as the optic can be set to adjust in either MOA or MILs.

FWIW, NP-R2 and P4 Fine are too fine for my crap eyes - I easily loose the reticle, and P4 is too fat.

David

Indeed you are right, Tiff, dialing in is by far the best option. My limit is about 300 or so yards, off sticks, but then I'm a hunter not a shooter. I dare say that range could be stretched somewhat if I used a bipod but I do not have the land where such shots would be needed so it is a moot point. Moreover, if you owned or had used one of these second focal plane Vipers, you would have known that the reticle is in mils but the knobs are in 1/8"s. My limited intellect doesn't allow me to work out the conversion as well as dialling and shooting, I'm afraid. Also, I cannot afford a Nightforce or S&B and have to make do with what I can afford. Does my incorrect approach exclude me from shooting at as long a range as I am confident despite my limited intellect, lack of opportunity and lack of the "proper" equipment?. If you know anything about hunting, you will be aware that two seconds is often the difference between a shot and a missed opportunity.

Laugh if you wish, but MY post was in reply to Nemasis243.

Peter

:D LMAO, most of the stuff I shoot won't stand around too long either.

Pete.

Plex would be my favourite, just seems natural and self centering.

I used a german no 1 for a while but noticed that at quick shots, or shots at last light

the strike seemed to go high because I didn't recognise the fine tip of the spike.

Second best would be the No7 flashdot on a 3-12 zenith, it is so fine at day that 350yd rabbits

are no problem. Even ok for a bit of target shooting, with the option of the flashdot being like

a red dot sight for driven game or the option of a faint dot for dusk/dawn.

edi

Guest Tiff

Oh well, I guess it's just the deer down here then that aren't jumpy :D . After a few hundred deer I can honestly say I've never been rushed for the shot. Then again they usually don't know I'm there....with my TRG's there's no need to get up and personal to do the job :D

Tiff,

It appears that your type of shooting and mine differ somewhat, therefore the choice of reticle and the rifle under it may well be different also. You are, obviously, able to deliver humane kills at long range and you are to be admired for your abilities.

So, in light of this, can I suggest that the original question about favourite reticles might have been supplemented with an enquiry about the type of shooting for which it is used. How about it, Andy, does that meet with your approval?.

Peter

I personally favour a dot reticule and use this almost exclusively with the Nightforce DD reticule or simple crosshair and dial for everything.With quality kit dialling can be relied upon day in day out and regardless of what mag your on.I think if you are going to use a reticule for any sort of work you had better stick with a fixed mag scope suited to the purpose intended and get to know your lines or dots inside out but to try and combine lines,dots or whatever and then dial as well would do my head in?!Again using a reticule,perhaps a complicated one and combine this with varying mag will also end you up in the pooh.Theres plenty else happening out there to consider if you are talking and taking long range shots so I keep the scope thingy as simple as possible.You could argue that you may forget to dial or reset and you would be absolutely right but thats rare for me anyways.So yeah a dot or a crosshair is fine for me and dial[if necessary]

• 2 weeks later...

I have mostly used an illuminated german nr 4 first focal plane but find probably like alot of others that the reticle obscures alot of small targets. I have bought a Zeiss 7x50T for this seasons foxing with an illuminated nr 66 reticle, I think that this could be my new favourite :D

Archived