52 minutes ago, JCalleja91 said:

There's alot of chat hear mentioning hand loaded ammunition.. do they mention Factory ammo at all? Is a tuner beneficial then where other factors aren't tunable? 

I started watching the video but it got a bit deep for my tired brain and I fell asleep 😅

😂

I think the consensus on the video was that wrt factory ammo other factors overwhelm any possible effects from a tuner

1 hour ago, Big Al said:

Thanks Vince, hope your keeping well.

After reading Al's response,  it provided an excellent overview and answered questions that I was unsure about the tuner/muzzle brake I have.  The main one being  do you tune or have you tuned during a competition.  After Al's answer (via SMS)   'the penny dropped'!  

Cheers Al

Edited by LesP
Additional info added

I have two f open rifles with tuners I’ve never moved them from zero ones a 300wsm the other is a 7=270 wsm both shoot really well. What I’m interested in what’s the latest thinking wether the tuner is set in front of the crown or behind  it’s on any adjustment? 
Mine both sit in front but I’ve noticed the Americans all sat back behind the crown.

5 hours ago, Montey said:

I have two f open rifles with tuners I’ve never moved them from zero ones a 300wsm the other is a 7=270 wsm both shoot really well. What I’m interested in what’s the latest thinking wether the tuner is set in front of the crown or behind  it’s on any adjustment? 
Mine both sit in front but I’ve noticed the Americans all sat back behind the crown.

Carbon build up that you can't see easily or remove without taking the tuner off.

I’ve taken the tuner off after pencil marking the position then cleaned and re fitted after every days competition.

my new 300wsm has no tuner but the same barrel profile it’s yet to be tested and run in so I will see.I really would go for a behind the the crown tuner next time I have a new barrel fitted 

• 2 months later...

Hi All 

I am a rimfire bench rester and went through the pain and frustration  of the ammunition  batches changing and then not working in my shooting platform - as it is unviable to reload .22LR it became clear after thousands of rounds of testing that most rimfire manufacturers actually produce very consistent ammunition and it is our own individual barrels that do not match it - after trying to get a tuner for my barrel  in the uk - custom made to fit without gunsmithing it became clear that was a non starter - so I decided to do something about it and started to test and build a local product to benefit all ! - All I can say is the results speak for themselves.

Please see the result of the final products after exhaustive testing.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions

Regards

Johann

IMG_1476.jpeg

IMG_1413.jpeg

IMG_1473.jpeg

2 hours ago, Johann Steyn said:

No problem at all - I have requested info regarding how to become a sponsor of UKV so that I can present more information regarding this and make this available to the members of the UKV group

Thank You

Johann

If you haven’t heard anything in the next few days then get in touch Johann.

Regardless of what anybody else believes or finds tuners do make a difference, in my case anyway.

As for effectiveness on centrefire rifles I offer no evidence or opinion.

Both my two .22lr bench rest rifles benefit from rounder groups and less vertical spread when a tuner is correctly set, note I say correctly. The impact of a tuner can be further shown by not setting it up correctly leading to an increase in vertical spread.

If tuners don’t work then the marketing gurus have had a field day, just observe the number of rifles fitted with tuners at any NSRA/WRABF benchrest competition.

I’m afraid that I must somewhat disagree with the statement that most rimfire manufacturers produce very consistent ammunition as this is not my experience. Whilst some rimfire ammunition manufacturers do produce relatively consistent ammunition they also produce less consistent ammunition. In my experience, generally, the more you pay for the ammunition the better the quality.
Consistency is difficult to quantify as we have no parameters on what consistent is and how it’s measured, so at this stage is open to interpretation.

With regards purchasing a rimfire tuner in the Uk there are, or we’re at least when I last looked, several makes available of which none needed any custom manufacture/fitting. Starik for example. Though if one has an unusual barrel profile they may not fit.

The posters tuner looks smart. One possible advantage is it’s fitting behind the muzzle, prevents the tuner getting carboned which in theory could effect its performance.

If the OP would like to send me one to evaluate I would be happy to oblige. PM via this site.

Whatever one believes if it works for you it works. Happy shooting.