I have become obsessed with the idea of shooting a mile. I have a place to  shoot it sorted - Bunkys in Cornwall.

What I don’t have is a gun capable of keeping a projectile supersonic much more than 1400 yards - .300WM Sabatti MRR with fat barrel, but only 26” long.

Options:

a) Upgrade current rifle? Would longer barrel be enough?

b) build new action/Barrel  into current stock (lovely FormRifle stock)

c) new custom built .300WM - probably can’t afford and would need variation

d) .338Lapua lovely but need variation, all new dies ….. very expensive - Sabatti don’t make .338 so really expensive for accuracy

Thoughts?

I have regularly shot out to a mile at Eskdalemuir with .338LM.   The bullet is all important;  for example Lapua Scenar 250gr launched at 3000fps from my 32" barrel are transonic and all over the place by 1600yds.   The Scenar 300gr on the other hand leaves the muzzle at 2830fps but retains accuracy at the mile.   Hornady 285ELD-M also pretty good in my rifle.  I have Berger 300gr which I have high hopes for but got around to development yet.

I'd recommend .338LM but it is very expensive.  However, hitting the 1moa target (18" gong) at a mile three times in a row is quite a reward though 😁

I'll be watching replies with interest as I'd also like to go this route.

The problem for me with 338 Lapua is the blanket ban at Bisley for that calibre, which makes it a non-starter. So I was thinking more about one of the Gucchi 30 calibres - WinMag, Norma Mag or PRC. But I don't know much about the subject . . .

Triffid

I had a chat with Matt at HPS and have ordered a new barrel for my Sabatti. Apparently with a 1 in 8 twist barrel with an extra couple of inches and I can shoot heavier projectiles and achieve my goal 😃

It's not massively cheap, but much cheaper than entering the .338 route with all the huge expenses incurred there.

36 minutes ago, Ralpharama said:

I had a chat with Matt at HPS and have ordered a new barrel for my Sabatti. Apparently with a 1 in 8 twist barrel with an extra couple of inches and I can shoot heavier projectiles and achieve my goal 😃

It's not massively cheap, but much cheaper than entering the .338 route with all the huge expenses incurred there.

Good luck with your quest for the mile !

Last Friday I shot with a few other club members at WMS in Wales. Now despite felling pretty off colour. Andrew was very patient and accommodating with me, and boy does the man know his stuff.

I had my Dolphin made 300PRC and we finished off the day at 1500M. Now I can assure you that the best medicine there is, is to hear "Bang..Hit...Dong" 3 times in succession. (in perfect weather shooting 230g Bergers). I'd like to think another 109M wont be an issue and Im planning to get back to Wales soon to find out.

Can't shoot .338lap mag at Bunkies I distinctly remember. Better off with .300NM with 200 to 220grain bullets..will hit a mile with little trouble. Also .300NM you can use at bisley with HME card .338lap mag you can't 

11 minutes ago, shooter83 said:

Can't shoot .338lap mag at Bunkies I distinctly remember. Better off with .300NM with 200 to 220grain bullets..will hit a mile with little trouble. Also .300NM you can use at bisley with HME card .338lap mag you can't 

No problem with .338 Lapua a Bunky’s. Bisley though does not allow any form of .338 . Going down Bunky’s to shoot at 1200yards, so my current set up will be fine 😃 Though I’ll need to borrow a mod, as one’s needs one there now 🙄 Kev got grief about noise so mods are required. I’ve added one to my variation as well as a .338 and the new barrel🤔

• 2 months later...

I have weakened and risked the wrath of SWMBO and have bought a used Barrett 98B chambered in .338 Lapua.

I have some load data for 250gr Lapua lock base and have some coming. But I could do with some data on 285gr ELD-Ms which I also have coming. I'm using RS70 powder and will be using Lapua brass. 

Any thoughts

2 hours ago, Ralpharama said:

I have weakened and risked the wrath of SWMBO and have bought a used Barrett 98B chambered in .338 Lapua.

I have some load data for 250gr Lapua lock base and have some coming. But I could do with some data on 285gr ELD-Ms which I also have coming. I'm using RS70 powder and will be using Lapua brass. 

Any thoughts

what's the twist rate Ralph?

Forget 250gr lock-base at a mile, they go subsonic around 1600yds.   If you have a 1:9 or possibly 1:10 then Lapua Scenar 300gr or Hornady 285gr ELD-M are good to a mile,  slower twist (like a AI AW) and you can't stabilise the heavier bullets.  I have 300gr Bergers to develop but I'm reticent as they're like rocking horse poo - probably stick to Hornady.

Don't know about RS70 as I use Viht N570,  I have oodles of the stuff !

Also, see this  https://barrett.net/support/98b-recall/

42 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

Forget 250gr lock-base at a mile, they go subsonic around 1600yds.   If you have a 1:9 or possibly 1:10 then Lapua Scenar 300gr or Hornady 285gr ELD-M are good to a mile,  slower twist (like a AI AW) and you can't stabilise the heavier bullets.  I have 300gr Bergers to develop but I'm reticent as they're like rocking horse poo - probably stick to Hornady.

The twist is 1 in 10. I know guys shooting the mile with the same rifle using 250gr lock-bases, but I figured the heavier ELD-Ms would stand a better chance of bucking the wind. They reckon 90.3gr of RS70 give around 3K fps 

I already saw the safety recall when I was looking on their site to see how to lighten the trigger. It was only the earlier ones that had the problem, my serial number was a lot later. 

8 minutes ago, Ralpharama said:

The twist is 1 in 10. I know guys shooting the mile with the same rifle using 250gr lock-bases, but I figured the heavier ELD-Ms would stand a better chance of bucking the wind. They reckon 90.3gr of RS70 give around 3K fps 

I already saw the safety recall when I was looking on their site to see how to lighten the trigger. It was only the earlier ones that had the problem, my serial number was a lot later. 

I seen chaps try 250gr at the mile at Eskdalemuir with no success and I certainly got nothing useful out of them from my 32" 1:9.5 barrel at +3,000 fps.   I think you are unlikely to get 3,000 fps with 285 ELD-M. - I get 2,840fps with 92gr N570 but that's good to 2,000yds if the wind plays nice.

Wind at a mile is hugely influential and field ranges have little indication.  Best indicator is my mate's last shot !!

I've shot with 5mil (~17moa) wind hold at the old Over-Cassock range, a right (and left) bugger

19 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

I have a box of 300gn Bergers (and 250s for that matter) PM me if interested.

On 11/25/2023 at 10:59 AM, The Gun Pimp said:

I have a box of 300gn Bergers (and 250s for that matter) PM me if interested.

PM sent