Odd Ballistics Results

Simonc65

Looking for wisdom or someone that might have seen the same thing.
I’m shooting a Dolphin F/TR in 308, with a Vortex Golden Eagle (MOA) on a 20 MOA rail.
I’m using Berger 185 Jug and 200.2x bullets.
Pushing them out at 2,610 & 2,600 respectively.
I’m sighted in at 300 yards, putting all the data into a ballistic calculator to get me to 600 yards it says I need to come up 10 MOA.

The problem is this doesn’t even get me onto the target, to get me there I have to put another 10 MOA on, so a total of 20 MOA. The scope is 1/8th click, I’m putting on 174 clicks (174/8= 21.75 MOA) to get me on the paper.

I’m not a total Muppet, I’ve done this same adjustment on my 260Rem, 338 LM and 223 and the Ballistic calculator always gets me on the paper.
I’m using StrelokPro & Ballistic AE, both give similar adjustments.

I'm thinking either the Berger BC’s are way of, or my scope is funky (when I’m on target I’m getting sub 0.5 MOA groups)

Thoughts ?

13 minutes ago, Simonc65 said:

I’m shooting a Dolphin F/TR in 308, with a Vortex Golden Eagle (MOA) on a 40 MOA rail.
I’m sighted in at 300 yards, putting all the data into a ballistic calculator to get me to 600 yards it says I need to come up 10 MOA.

The problem is this doesn’t even get me onto the target, to get me there I have to put another 10 MOA on, so a total of 20 MOA. The scope is 1/8th click, I’m putting on 174 clicks (174/8= 21.75 MOA) to get me on the paper.

I’m not a total Muppet, I’ve done this same adjustment on my 260Rem, 338 LM and 223 and the Ballistic calculator always gets me on the paper.

I'm thinking either the Berger BC’s are way of, or my scope is funky (when I’m on target I’m getting sub 0.5 MOA groups)

Thoughts ?

Something is wrong!  A 40MOA rail seems a lot, on my 6.5Cm  couldn't get a 300Y zero with a 20MOA rail and a Vortex scope, 

so is the problem you you have wound so far down to get zero, when you wind up the scope the initial clicks arn't doing anything ?  You're off the scale so to speak IYSWIM?

Well maybe I am a bit of a Muppet, I misremembered, it is a 20 MOA rail.

At 300 yards I'm 13 MOA from the bottom of scope adjustment, I see similar results when I go from 600 to 1,000, don't have the data on that right now, need another trip to Bisley to get it.

What range have you got locally Simon? Even with a 25 yard range you should be able to test your scope and you could make up a "tall" target similar to the old Bisley zero targets. Using your ammo data and your ballistic app you should be able to check proper function of the scope and zero in for 600 yards.

1 hour ago, Simonc65 said:

I’m shooting a Dolphin F/TR in 308, with a Vortex Golden Eagle (MOA) on a 20 MOA rail.

Thoughts ?

I have a 20 MOA rail on my .308, zero'ed at 100yds and no problems shooting jugs out to any distance.

The GE scope has 55 MOA elevation and you need about 5 MOA come-up from 100yds to 300yds.  A come-up of 10MOA from 300yds to 600yds is about right for a 185 Jug.

Did you bore-sight the scope?  If you set the scope at optical zero you have ±27.5 MOA adjustment but with a 20 MOA rail you should be 7.5 MOA up from the very bottom of the scope range so if you zero at 300yds you should be well in the adjustment range.

Sounds like a faulty scope or a loose turret ?

Hope it’s not some daft offset numbers in StrelokPro. Could go to a 100 yard zero and start over again?? . Work things out backwards to the 300 zero and see where the turrets start working properly if you can clamp the rifle solidly then turn turrets to find where the reticle starts to move might give some insight. 185 jugs are a great choice for the longer range targets. 
with a 20 moa rail and 38 mm high rings I still need a fair amount of up on the turret to get a 100 yard zero . 
Just a dafty is the rail on the right way round ie fat end to the rear of the stock . Looking at the scope from the side you should be able to see a slight downward slope from stock end to barrel end . Stock end being higher than barrel end. Hope this doesn’t sound patronising and hopefully you get things sorted. Cheers 

My Ballistic calculator agrees with everyone else’s ballistic calculator . . . about 10moa up from a 300 yard zero.

I’ve seen several mid-range Vortex scopes fail with turret problems in my Club. Try locking the rifle down and moving the scope through it’s elevation and windage ranges to see whats actually moving against the reticle.

Triffid

Thanks all, seems the consensus is a scope issue, I'll get down to my local range and have a go at locking down the rifle and see what is going on.

You don't need to go to a range. Just find some way of holding the rifle steady (such as a cleaning rest) pointing at a fixed place, ideally some distance away . .  a brick wall is ideal as you get an idea of the scale, but don't upset your neighbours!

Then, looking through the scope without touching the rifle, move the elevation and windage turrets throughout their range. You should see the reticule move consistently across your target.

Triffid